Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 09:03 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G. Griffin View Post
If you can't be polite in response to perfectly reasonable points, then I won't bother to try to reason you out of a position you clearly didn't reason your way into.
When you say bluntly ignorant things, you're likely to elicit blunt responses. The only "perfectly reasonable point" you had to offer was the lack of diesels available in the passenger car fleet, and the reasons for that have been touched on in this thread and hashed out at length in others. Otherwise, you're clinging to hopelessly outdated notions such as being stuck in a "no replacement for displacement" mentality here even as engine displacements have been getting smaller and smaller, or that pushrod motors represent anything more than an extremely thin slice of the car market here, out in the specialty car market no less.

So let me bring you up to speed: 1) a substantial majority of cars people buy are 4-cylinder models with displacements of 2.5L or less; 2) roughly 98% of cars sold here have DOHC motors; c) the remaining 2% are reserved for high-performance specialty models; and d) even trucks are moving more and more toward V6 models as the power output of V6's becomes increasingly adequate for the task.

It would be nice if we could see more diesel models here; unfortunately US emissions standards on diesels are far more stringent than in Europe particularly with regard to NOx emissions, and it has proven extremely difficult to meet those standards cost-effectively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 09:32 AM

490 posts, read 682,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
When you say bluntly ignorant things, you're likely to elicit blunt responses.
Hardly.

The hire car point couldn't be more valid. The very same car is sold in Europe.

In the US it has a 170bhp engine and won't do more than 22mpg
In Europe it has a 170bhp engine with waaay more torque and will do 100% more mpg. It also emits far less co2 and has a particulate filter so emits very little of anything else either.

For the most part, American cars are dinosaurs. That's why the rest of the world doesn't buy them. In fact, the rest of the world laughs at American cars. If they were any good, we'd want them.

This is an interesting take on the subject http://www.gizmag.com/us-european-ja...llution/15485/

Last edited by Stewart G. Griffin; 11-10-2013 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: add link

Old 11-10-2013, 11:40 AM

I like how you completely ignored the rest of my post. Probably because you realized I had you dead to rights.

And nobody from Britain of all places has any business dogging on American cars.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:40 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,778 times
Quote:
Hardly.

The hire car point couldn't be more valid. The very same car is sold in Europe.

In the US it has a 170bhp engine and won't do more than 22mpg
In Europe it has a 170bhp engine with waaay more torque and will do 100% more mpg. It also emits far less co2 and has a particulate filter so emits very little of anything else either.

For the most part, American cars are dinosaurs. That's why the rest of the world doesn't buy them. In fact, the rest of the world laughs at American cars. If they were any good, we'd want them.

This is an interesting take on the subject U.S. vehicle CO2 emissions still almost double Europe and Japan
What American cars?

Most vehicles are based on global platforms and engines these days (Think Ford Ecoboost).

Also, I think you might be confusing British MPG with American MPG.

Finally, our emissions are higher because our engines are generally much more powerful - just like the Australians.

Last edited by zombocom; 11-10-2013 at 12:00 PM..

Old 11-10-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I like how you completely ignored the rest of my post. Probably because you realized I had you dead to rights.

And nobody from Britain of all places has any business dogging on American cars.
Dear me, you are touchy aren't you. Like I said, I'm not going to reason with you because your opinions aren't based on reason.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Except nobody wants to eat the American pudding. British made cars are selling big time all over the world. JLR, Rolls, Aston are among the world's most desired brands. Nobody anywhere wants a Cadillac or a Corvette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
What American cars?

Most vehicles are based on global platforms and engines these days (Think Ford Ecoboost).

Also, I think you might be confusing British MPG with American MPG.

Finally, our emissions are higher because our engines are generally much more powerful - just like the Australians.
10US gallons = 8UK. That doesn't even begin to account for the disparity in the example I gave.

The Ford 2.5 engine puts out about 240g/km and has about 170bhp. The diesel equivelant with 170bhp is nearer 140g/km.

America is hooked on inefficient gas guzzlers. There is no performance benefit to be had.

None of this will change for so long as fuel is still cheap in the US. Hence manufacturers don't have an incentive to offer better choices, which was the OP's question.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Dear me, you are touchy aren't you. Like I said, I'm not going to reason with you because your opinions aren't based on reason.
I laid out specific factual claims that you didn't even bother to address.

If you think you're touching a nerve, you're not. Even Americans are willing to acknowledge when American cars suck. That's why we largely switched to Japanese makes and 2 of our 3 own major manufacturers went bankrupt. But that has nothing to do with the original claims you've made.

Quote:
The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Except nobody wants to eat the American pudding. British made cars are selling big time all over the world. JLR, Rolls, Aston are among the world's most desired brands. Nobody anywhere wants a Cadillac or a Corvette.
Dear me, you are touchy aren't you. JLR, Rolls, and Aston are niche brands, and basically also-rans in the niche they occupy (except maybe German-owned Rolls). Among normal brands that normal people buy, how are Rover and MG doing these days?

Quote:
10US gallons = 8UK. That doesn't even begin to account for the disparity in the example I gave.

The Ford 2.5 engine puts out about 240g/km and has about 170bhp. The diesel equivelant with 170bhp is nearer 140g/km.

America is hooked on inefficient gas guzzlers. There is no performance benefit to be had.

None of this will change for so long as fuel is still cheap in the US. Hence manufacturers don't have an incentive to offer better choices, which was the OP's question.
Again, you keep saying stupid stuff like "America is hooked on inefficient gas guzzlers" completely ignoring the significant fuel efficiency gains over the last few years.

The reason why very few diesel models are sold here has nothing to do with anyone being addicted to anything and everything to do with misguided government policy. You have no idea how hard auto makers are trying to bring diesel models online here. The barriers they're facing are not consumer-driven, they're government-driven.

Last edited by Drover; 11-10-2013 at 12:28 PM..

Old 11-10-2013, 12:20 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,778 times
The fact remains that the engines are the same.

The Ford fusion and the Ford Mondeo are the same car, with many of the same engine options - I highly doub that engineering is to blame.

Could it be that both countries have different emission standards, and different ways of measuring mileage?

this article might clarify things a bit for you.

Mark Phelan: Sky-high European gas-mileage ratings differ from U.S. | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Old 11-10-2013, 12:23 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,625,940 times
Quote:
British made cars are selling big time all over the world. JLR, Rolls, Aston are among the world's most desired brands. Nobody anywhere wants a Cadillac or a Corvette.
You're delusional. 1: No such thing as a British car anymore. The British automotive industry is a dead shell owned by a variety of multinationals including China, Germany, and Malaysia. And frankly, #2: Aston, Rolls, Lotus, and the like are NOT selling "big time" anywhere. They're all low-volume brands even compared to the more mainstream premium brands like Mazda and Buick, much less the world-striding leader brands Chevy and Toyota.

Quote:
Clearly you are unaware of the large number of WRXs, EVOs, Mazdaspeeds, MINI JCWs, SIs, STs, and other lightweight speed machines that are sold in the good old U.S. of A. Then again, you've proven you don't know much about the American automotive culture or market outside of what you've made up in your head.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
You're delusional. 1: No such thing as a British car anymore. The British automotive industry is a dead shell owned by a variety of multinationals including China, Germany, and Malaysia. And frankly, #2: Aston, Rolls, Lotus, and the like are NOT selling "big time" anywhere. They're all low-volume brands even compared to the more mainstream premium brands like Mazda and Buick, much less the world-striding leader brands Chevy and Toyota.

Clearly you are unaware of the large number of WRXs, EVOs, Mazdaspeeds, MINI JCWs, SIs, STs, and other lightweight speed machines that are sold in the good old U.S. of A. Then again, you've proven you don't know much about the American automotive culture or market outside of what you've made up in your head.
This is just too funny to give a response to.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:21 PM

16,674 posts, read 17,440,619 times
The original poster asked why there were so many engine choices in Europe compared to the US.

I decided to check a so called 'Word Car', the Ford Focus.

It was interesting to see how few engine options are available here to the lack of choice in the US.

The US have two petrol engines, one for the Titanium and one for the ST, and the electric version.

Here's what we have;

Ford Focus Hatchback Prices | Ford Focus Specs What Car?

Even allowing for a multitude of different trims, there are far more engine offers, including the 1 Litre Ecoboost petrol in two states of tune, and a range of diesels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive