Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 07:25 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times

Advertisements

I want amber signals, and side signals (on the mirror) so the next car I buy will have those features.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:57 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,085,192 times
Side turn signals like in Europe? Next you're going to want 'roundabouts'

Old 06-01-2015, 08:16 PM

804 posts, read 1,076,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
I absolutely agree with you.

It seems that American vehicles are always behind the curve and fight safety mandates when it comes to innovations like the three-point shoulder harness for all passengers and tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS).

The amber turn signals are another example.
yea thats why a lot of euorpean cars cant be imported into the united states because it doesnt have side turn blinkers.lol

Old 06-01-2015, 10:34 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,774,511 times
Quote:
Much of this country has been putting in roundabouts for years. I love them, and they really reduce the accident rates when they are put in.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:27 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,848,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
5.3% reduction with amber

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811115.pdf

I need a nap after reading that.
This was good and answers the question posed by the OP. In scanning the report and checking all the photographs the reason why the US does not utilize amber turn signals is that...they are ugly!

Old 06-02-2015, 06:40 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,647,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Well, well, well! Another thread bashing the US and praising good ol europe! Don't all newer cars, like past about 1970 something have wrap around front and rear lights that are visible from the side? I think it's a good idea to keep the amber in the front and red in the rear. If one side of the red rear lights of a car is blinking, isn't it quite obvious he's got his blinker on? Aren't you going to be slowing down anyway as the majority of people don't go full bore into a turn without braking so even if he's tapping his brakes and one side is out you'd be doing the same thing I'd imagine? So when is Europe going to start requiring the safety standards we have?
Why do you prefer red blinkers in the rear? I see your point that if one sees a blinking light, of any color, one will eventually figure out that the person wants to turn in the direction indicated. But my point is by having the blinker a different color than the brake light, one can tell instantly whether it is a turn or a stop that is being signaled. Why do you prefer to have the brake and turn indicators be the same color?

Old 06-02-2015, 07:02 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Sure, why not? Europe does have a few good ideas that we didn't think of. I'm sure we have a few they didn't think of. Who cares? A good idea is a good idea no matter where it came from.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:37 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,023,086 times
Anyone criticizing signals doesn't understand what driver courtesy is. Which means they're part of the issue.

The signal informs me when you're about to make a move. Doesn't matter which move. I shouldn't have to keep my eyes peeled on your car expecting you to jerk over into my lane.

Remember, a good defensive driver has to keep track of the following at all times:
  1. Cars to the immediate left (or barriers)
  2. Cars to the immediate right
  3. Merging cars from the right
  4. Signage
  5. Cars in the left rear blindspot
  6. Cars in the right rear blindspot
  7. Emergency vehicles
  8. Buses with the STOP sign engaged
  9. Cars merging from the HOV/HOT lanes
  10. Buses merging from the center
  11. Upcoming road work
  12. Upcoming accidents
  13. Road hazards

The LEAST a person could do that's in front of me, is signal to let me know they're coming over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Much of this country has been putting in roundabouts for years. I love them, and they really reduce the accident rates when they are put in.
Depends on where they're put frankly. I know in Cleveland/Westlake for example they put that roundabout on Sperry Road and it made no sense whatsoever because it affected your ability to get to the freeway, forcing you to drive around a block.

They should put them in residential areas where people don't have common courtesy for those crossing the street; mostly T-sections and near schools, absolutely.

Florida went overboard with them; there's like 3 of them on the same street. And it doesn't manage traffic because it still gets backed up due to a light at the front end of the first one.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:45 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times
Because this is the USA not Europe. How many people do you see using turn signals? I had some Canadian try to get run over yesterday when he stopped instantly and moved over without using a directional. My Durango almost had a little hood ornament. And no one was speeding. The speed limit was 30 and I was doing 27. I still almost ran him over.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:03 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,108,203 times
The wifes Kia soul has turn signal on mirrors and I drove it a bunch of times and did not know it had them till I was following her home one day and noticed them, so there is no distraction to the driver on her car.
As for amber turn lights, I call BS on them being safer. I have driven 34 years and never once have I missed some ones turn signal because I thought it was them braking. And even if I did I would not go zooming around on their right because they are braking. I may go around on the right but I would have to know why they were braking first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive