Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 05:22 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,610,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Huh? Pretty much everyone I see on a daily basis has a belt across their chest. I don't know anyone who doesn't wear a safety belt.
That may be true, however, seatbelt usage in the US is so low that airbags are designed for unrestrained people. In Germany they are designed for restrained people.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:26 PM

45,438 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
That may be true, however, seatbelt usage in the US is so low that airbags are designed for unrestrained people. In Germany they are designed for restrained people.
In the US not any longer. That standard changed quite awhile ago.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:54 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,878,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post

Oh bull****. Seat belt usage in the US is 86%.

Seat belt use rates in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-03-2015, 08:11 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,647,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Are you saying that he's turning left out of the right lane directly across my path without looking at his blind spot? And that kind of guy is even going to use a signal?

Well, at any rate, what I see is a much brighter light on the side that's signalling.

As I've said, I don't care either way, but I think it's a stretch to contrive situations in which it makes a difference. And when it might have made a difference, we're looking at situations with such a collection of errors--such as the one you described--that it's impossible to prove it really would have made a difference.
"Contrived"? You, sir, have apparently never driven in South Florida!

Old 06-03-2015, 08:20 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
Quote:
I guess that makes car-shopping a much easier experience.

"Just show me the cars with amber turn signals."
I know what I want before I go shopping.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:21 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
Quote:
You can more than make that up by giving yourself more room from the car in front of you so that you can make more graceful maneuvers and give the guy behind you more reaction time.
Why does he have to worry about that? Tell the idiot in back to stop tailgating. Barring that, amber signals help.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:21 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Why does he have to worry about that? Tell the idiot in back to stop tailgating. Barring that, amber signals help.
The amber signals don't allow him to stop any slower...so unless he's left enough room, he'll still be rear ended himself when he stops quickly upon sight of the amber lights.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:00 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,856,324 times
In certain situations, where headlight use is not needed, it's nice to be able to tell if the car is coming or going. Amber in the front, red in the rear.

If a red light is blinking guess what, he's got his turn signal on. If 2 or three red lights are bright and steady someone is braking. I'm assuming whoever is following will be taking action either way to avoid hitting him and not just continuing to speed up figuring the one turning is going to charge right into the turn without stopping. If whoever is following isn't adjusting for the turning car in front and rear ends him the problem isn't the lack of amber turn signals. The problem is the idiot following and running into the other car!

If you are going to complain about blinkers and brake lights being the same color then why not insist on making rear running lights some other color as well. After all, bright red running lights on one car and dim red brake lights on another. Oh the confusion! So a nice, simple idea. Amber in front and red in rear. Simple! Safe! Effective! Been working that way for years!

Old 06-04-2015, 07:22 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
If I were going to mandate anything about automobile lights, I'd mandate front daytime running lights. It's definitely easier to see them down the road under any conditions, and much easier to spot them at the periphery of your vision in your blind spots.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:24 AM

493 posts, read 386,016 times
Quote:
If I were going to mandate anything about automobile lights, I'd mandate front daytime running lights. It's definitely easier to see them down the road under any conditions, and much easier to spot them at the periphery of your vision in your blind spots.
Some countries like Canada and Sweden do that, but not fan of it because most of America has plenty of sunshine year-round and lights should be switched on during inclement weather by law or automatic button.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive