Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 06:15 AM

733 posts, read 853,758 times

Advertisements

Yes, people can just get overwhelmed by the heat, kind of drop off...especially the elderly. It's very sad. I can just imagine his pride in his new Corvette, and then to die. Might have had some cognitive issues, too...just sad. Sad for the poor doggie, too, poor little thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 06:18 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
i hope the family members sue and get many millions of dollars .. how stupid can a manufacturer be to not make a safe way to exit a vehicle . ala .. a door handle ..

Geez.... there are manual release handles on the floor, right next to the door. I wonder if something else happened to him because I can't see someone owning a vehicle with an electric door "handle" and not checking to see if there was a backup. The indicator on the manual release even tells you what it's for. The next time you see a car show here in town, stop by and ask a Vette owner to show it to you.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:23 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
i hope the family members sue and get many millions of dollars .. how stupid can a manufacturer be to not make a safe way to exit a vehicle . ala .. a door handle ..
There is a manual release by the door on the floor.

I would think if you realized that your car electronically opened, you would familiarize yourself with the other ways to get in/out.

I had a 2011 GS Vette as well as a 2008 XLR-V prior to that. Both had door release on floor as well as a special trunk button.

One day the battery died in the XLR-V. I was inside. I kept trying the button... it eventually used the last bit of juice to respond. I took my other car to work and told the dumbf*** who came to fix it NOT to close the door. Numbnuts closed the door, so he had to punch out the trunk hole to get back in.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:51 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by draketrutta View Post
Obviously, the Darwin Award winner did not think of the obvious.

Gene pool is cleaner.
The man was 72, right? He has probably already passed on his genes. No award here.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:24 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,553,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by draketrutta View Post
Obviously, the Darwin Award winner did not think of the obvious.

Gene pool is cleaner.

I don't think you had to fear him reproducing.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:49 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,183,960 times
A very sad story. I can't help but wonder what will happen to the car- I doubt the family would want to keep it under the circumstances. So, I assume it would be sold. I wonder if the family would disclose the reason for selling the car, since that would turn off the majority of buyers, imo. Personally, I could never buy a car that I knew someone died in.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:01 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,792,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
It does, it's just on the floor, if you didn't know it there you would miss it
then I don't get it... he had 4 hours, why not try pressing every damn thing in sight? the way it looks the button and lever are not hidden in some secret location.. it's right by the door

and that waffle house must be running at a heavy loss if it isn't getting any customers in a 4 hour period

Old 06-12-2015, 10:04 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,754,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
It does, it's just on the floor, if you didn't know it there you would miss it
Even so opening the doors, especially in an emergency, shouldn't require you to consult the owners manual. I've heard of other stories like this where, I think it was a BMW, where a lady left her teen aged kid in the car, something happened and the kid died because the doors couldn't be opened from the inside because the mom took the keys causing the car to lock up like Fort Knox. It's nice having these automated, automatic features on your car, but I think they also should have an easy access manual over ride.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:10 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
Even so opening the doors, especially in an emergency, shouldn't require you to consult the owners manual. I've heard of other stories like this where, I think it was a BMW, where a lady left her teen aged kid in the car, something happened and the kid died because the doors couldn't be opened from the inside because the mom took the keys causing the car to lock up like Fort Knox. It's nice having these automated, automatic features on your car, but I think they also should have an easy access manual over ride.
Every one should read their owners manual after they get their car. Its chock full of usefull information for incidents just like this. There was an easy access over ride on both doors as well as the rear hatch. He could have also just removed the targa top. There were no less then 4 was to exit that vehicle.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:19 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,771,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
Personally, I could never buy a car that I knew someone died in.
Someone owns Ted Bundy's VW Bug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive