Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 10:24 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,856,876 times

Advertisements

I have seen similar in a BMW as mentioned - if you lock it from the outside, it will not let you just open the doors with the interior door handle.

I am not familiar with corvettes. But here is a video on how to do this for future reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLDqmGQU6L0

Personally I do carry a seatbelt cutter and glass breaker on my person at all times (part of my Benchmade triage knife). Might come in handy one day.
http://www.amazon.com/Benchmade-Knif.../dp/B00UGBGVQ0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 10:28 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Battery was dead and he apparently didn't now where safety release for electric doors was located from what I read.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:35 AM

3,505 posts, read 761,791 times
" On an online Corvette forum, several posters detailed having been locked inside their cars.." ...that quote is the last line in the story I read ... there is probably just as many people who would not know how to get out as there are people who did not know what that little half flat tire meant when it lit up on their dash ..

Old 06-12-2015, 10:36 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Maybe he didn't panic. Maybe he kept trying to start the car, trying to find out how to open the door or window, etc., and never even dreamed that he was in danger. Maybe he started to get sick from the heat, and didn't recognize it as being dangerous. Maybe he got delirious, and started hallucinating.

When people freeze to death, they often take their clothes off. Not from any kind of panic, but only because they feel hot, from the frostbite, and have diminished brain capacity, which makes them think they need to take their clothes off to not be so hot. The same kind of thing could happen when people die of heat. They might never really understand what's happening to them, because their brain capacity might be reduced before it ever occurs to them to panic.
I agree that he probably did not realize that he was in serious trouble until it was too late. It said that it was a new car, but he really should have made sure that he knew the basic safety procedures.

It was a very sad situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
Even so opening the doors, especially in an emergency, shouldn't require you to consult the owners manual. I've heard of other stories like this where, I think it was a BMW, where a lady left her teen aged kid in the car, something happened and the kid died because the doors couldn't be opened from the inside because the mom took the keys causing the car to lock up like Fort Knox. It's nice having these automated, automatic features on your car, but I think they also should have an easy access manual over ride.
I remember reading that story, too (although, I believe that it was teenage siblings in the school parking lot).

When we get a different car the first thing that we do is read the manual cover to cover AND always keep it in the car to check in an emergency.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:59 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
With his age and the temps in his car, if he panicked initially it may only have taken 30 seconds or so for him to have passed out.

Mine has a black interior and some days when it's hot I will start it and put the windows down before closing the door because it's scorching hot inside.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:06 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
P.S. Years ago I saw 2 guys that died in a hot car get rushed into an emergency room. It's not a pretty sight. I hope the guy passed out quickly and didn't suffer.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:03 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,572,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
With his age and the temps in his car, if he panicked initially it may only have taken 30 seconds or so for him to have passed out.

Mine has a black interior and some days when it's hot I will start it and put the windows down before closing the door because it's scorching hot inside.

30 seconds? Come on. This did lived in southeast texas where the heat and humidity are normal.

The power locks would have had to work for him to get in the car in the first place, something is missing from the story

Old 06-12-2015, 12:09 PM

556 posts, read 1,227,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK360 View Post
Here's a pair of videos I made earlier for a Facebook group where someone said the handles were hidden and you wouldn't know about them.

Pretty easy to locate and the picture on them explains pretty clearly what they do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
Even so opening the doors, especially in an emergency, shouldn't require you to consult the owners manual. I've heard of other stories like this where, I think it was a BMW, where a lady left her teen aged kid in the car, something happened and the kid died because the doors couldn't be opened from the inside because the mom took the keys causing the car to lock up like Fort Knox. It's nice having these automated, automatic features on your car, but I think they also should have an easy access manual over ride.

You don't consider this easy to access?

Old 06-12-2015, 12:33 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,572,016 times
There is a manual release for the drivers door, passenger door and the trunk. The roof panel is also easily removed with turning 3 handles and pushing up

Old 06-12-2015, 12:43 PM

957 posts, read 2,020,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
30 seconds? Come on. This did lived in southeast texas where the heat and humidity are normal.

The power locks would have had to work for him to get in the car in the first place, something is missing from the story
Yes, lots missing from this story. Power works getting in, but not out. Cell phone left in the restaurant. No passers-by to see or hear him. An no thought of the door release, kicking the windows, opening the roof (either to get out or to get some air in). Call me skeptical that something else (medical emergency, passing out for other reasons) didn't happen first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive