Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2017, 12:18 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,848,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I became familiar with the dilemmas involved many years ago, reading Issac Asimov and learning his rules of robotics developed in 1942. From Auburn University:
1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
Notice, for our consideration here, property damage does not enter into the equation.
These Laws, or algorithms, were built into the robot brain pathways.
Asimov wrote many novels and short stories exploring the complexities and paradoxes involved.
I hope you're not serious. The "laws" a novelist wrote about decades ago has nothing to do with practical considerations of today's science and technology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 02:53 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,126,588 times
Is it not arrogant for us, the weird apes we are, to think that a machine cannot be more capable than us?
We really aren't all that great.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:06 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I posted those scenarios hoping that someone familiar with the algorithms could shed some light on what I see as programming dilemmas.
Since the car can do whatever you want it to do this isn't a computer problem but a human moral problem.

If the choice is hit the kid in the middle of the road or smash into the tree on the side of the road where the driver lives the choice is simple, you hit the tree at least if you have any morals. Where the dilemma arises is suppose the car calculates it's going to kill the driver if it hits the tree or kill the kid if it hits the kid.

Again this human problem and something that will need to be addressed. If you are an immoral person should you have the right to set the car beforehand to save my ass under any circumstances?

There is no easy answer to this, the upside is these types of accidents will be less frequent and when they do occur since the reaction time of the car is so superior to humans there will be less fatalities even when they do occur.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
The steering wheel will still be there for a long time, because people do like taking over control when they want and just delegating mundane driving task to the robot.
I would predict that within about 10 to 20 years from now this tech will be mandated on new vehicles but they will still be able to be driven manually if you choose to buy one like that. There is going to have to be some kind of standard created, e.g. car to car communication protocols etc. Perhaps another 20 years from that point most vehicles on the road will be capable of self driving and where it's legal to operate a manually driven car will start to wind down. For example they could start with highways and require cars to be computer driven on them. 10 years from there it will illegal to drive a car manully on most public roads.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
[/b]

Ahh yes, the good old days, I remember my Dad soaking those briquettes and setting them ablaze, the smell of hot dogs and lighter fluid on the fourth. LOL
I use wood charcoal and lighter fluid comes no where near it, you only need a coffee can with holes on both ends. Little newspaper in the bottom and light it. Once that is established take out the can and add more. Takes a really long time before it's usable....

Old 07-05-2017, 03:30 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,598,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
What would it do if:

I accidentally bump it?

It is blocked by BigSur landslide on highway 1?

There is police siren hehind it.

The only thing the promoters of driverless cars expect them to do, is make them billions of dollars, before the whole idea is scrapped, because of its unsolvable dangers and inadequacy to handle many situations.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Well if that's the case, none of us here will know it, because we will all be dead and gone. It'll take that long.
It would necessarily take quite a while before this tech is mandated to be used. It would be completely impractical to instantly make obsolete perfectly fine working cars. As I mentioned in a previous post the first thing that will have to occur is a mandate that all cars have this tech, that doesn't necessarily mean they can't be driven by human. It's only when a very high percentage of vehicles have this tech you can start implementing laws mandating it's use. That might be 30 or 40 years from now.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:04 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,956,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It would necessarily take quite a while before this tech is mandated to be used. It would be completely impractical to instantly make obsolete perfectly fine working cars. As I mentioned in a previous post the first thing that will have to occur is a mandate that all cars have this tech, that doesn't necessarily mean they can't be driven by human. It's only when a very high percentage of vehicles have this tech you can start implementing laws mandating it's use. That might be 30 or 40 years from now.
Works the same way ABS, airbags, and now backup cameras. You can still drive antiques, but all new cars have to have this stuff.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Yawn. Level 2 is not a driverless car. Wake me up when they get to level 4. But that's not going to happen.
I've already posted several links to Level 4 systems by multiple companies already in testing. Competition is a great thing as nobody wants to be left out of the action.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
Right. Think about all the people that hop in their automated vehicles, thousands of times a day, that are impaired in some way, thinking the car will get them home safetly. You think these people will be monitoring their ride home, to make corrections in an emergency. NO! Lots of Ifs and problems to sort out at the cost of lives. Not to mention the bad roads in this country that are getting worse. I dont look forward to seeing these on the road.
Humans already suck at driving. Would you rather drive with sober robots or drunk humans?
This very "monitoring" dilemma is why some companies are skipping Level 3 and going straight to Level 4. https://cleantechnica.com/2017/02/20...nal-awareness/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive