Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2017, 12:51 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
What happens when all of the 1000 parking spaces are filled up? Where would the other driverless cars go to? They would drive around in circles until they run out of gas, and then there would be gridlock.
To a spot even further away, just like drivers do now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
1. OK, point taken. We have now established that they suck, but they could improve.

2. Who is going to pay for and operate this central control system?

3. Manual drivers will never be out of the equation. How many times do many of us have to reiterate that we will never stop driving? We have no interest in buying your stupid ridiculously expensive self-driving cars.
1) humans already suck and apparently have been getting worse at driving. Like progress but backwards.
Reproducing no longer requires being the strongest and smartest.

2) thats like asking who maintains the internet. It's a collective of automated cars that communicate with each other. They just need to be on the same protocol.

3) you don't have to stop driving. But you're going to get old and busted one day and you won't have to rely on your offspring to drive you to Walgreens. Eventually you won't have a choice just as you dont have a choice to buy a new car without ABS now.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:03 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,290,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
Will driverless cars EVER be smart enough to be on the Road on their own?! I really can't imagine. Seems there are situations that unavoidably need human intervention.
Considering the number of traffic accidents and deaths each year, a driverless car is our future.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:13 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
Will driverless cars EVER be smart enough to be on the Road on their own?! I really can't imagine. Seems there are situations that unavoidably need human intervention.

Will some of the drivers we see everyday EVER be smart enough?

Old 07-06-2017, 02:45 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
2. Who is going to pay for and operate this central control system?
I would imagine the same people that pay for the stop signs, traffic lights, line markings, bridges and the road themselves. In a world where all all cars are driverless all those stop signs, red lights and every other sign are instantly made obsolete and that money could go to funding a centralized sytem. That would be an inevitable outcome to fully utilize the benefits these cars can make. As I previously said if all cars are driverless it opens a huge window of opportunity, such a sytem would be able to manage traffic on streets and highways that could have traffic flowing in any direction... Just so it's clear such a centralized sytem would not be required, it simply extends the cars autonomous capabilities.

Quote:
3. Manual drivers will never be out of the equation. How many times do many of us have to reiterate that we will never stop driving? We have no interest in buying your stupid ridiculously expensive self-driving cars.
Never is a very long time. I support the use of coal , you will hear me say solar and wind will never replace coal but you'll won't hear me say we will never stop using coal. Technology marches on, as I suggested previously the timeline for this might be 50 years. That has nothing to do with perfecting the tech, it's simply logical that such a transition would take that long for practical reasons.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:20 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
It would a sight to see hundreds maybe even thousands of driverless cars find parking spots at malls on Black Friday or during Christmas holidays. Or even sporting events, concerts, or even Costco on weekends. That would be a sight to see.

I noticed my GPS usually gets lost when I'm in a big box store parking lot, driving in a large apartment or condo complex, stadium parking lot, etc. I use Google Maps. That could be a big problem for driverless cars.

On another note, some people can't use voice recognition to tell the car where to go because it doesn't understand accents very well. Typing in the address is tedious and potentially dangerous while driving, and people often misspell things. Though I speak perfect English with no accent, my GPS still misunderstands me on occasion.

The slightest misunderstanding of your voice or a typo, and the car could take you to Mexico when you were trying to get to Los Angeles. Or some other technical glitch that commonly occurs with GPS.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:28 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
I noticed my GPS usually gets lost when I'm in a big box store parking lot, driving in a large apartment or condo complex, stadium parking lot, etc. I use Google Maps. That could be a big problem for driverless cars.

On another note, some people can't use voice recognition to tell the car where to go because it doesn't understand accents very well. Typing in the address is tedious and potentially dangerous while driving, and people often misspell things. Though I speak perfect English with no accent, my GPS still misunderstands me on occasion.

The slightest misunderstanding of your voice or a typo, and the car could take you to Mexico when you were trying to get to Los Angeles. Or some other technical glitch that happens with GPS.
A lot of parking lots also do not have markings, especially in more rural areas. It's just big concrete area, or sometimes just dirt.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post

The slightest misunderstanding of your voice or a typo, and the car could take you to Mexico when you were trying to get to Los Angeles. Or some other technical glitch that commonly occurs with GPS.
Ever use Google maps? It will be like that.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:32 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
A lot of parking lots also do not have markings, especially in more rural areas. It's just big concrete area, or sometimes just dirt.
Also in urban areas and suburbs, the residential streets usually don't have lane markings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Ever use Google maps? It will be like that.
Yes, but when you are driving the car you will tend to notice something is wrong sooner rather than later, and you can correct it. But when people are not driving, as in a driverless car they won't be paying as much attention.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
A driverless car means you can take a nap on your way from New York to Miami. You might still have to park yourself at some flea market or whatever. Eventually as business owners realize they're missing out on customers because their outdated parking lot can't accommodate modern cars, they'll change to marked parking.

A similar thing happened with pay at the pump gas stations and credit cards in general. Business owners didnt like them, but those who didn't adapt got ran out of business. In the end a business will do what their customers expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive