Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2018, 08:01 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times

Advertisements

Actually the few sedans I have owned have had VAST room inside. We used to describe our own MB 190 as being like a Checker Cab (for those younger folks, that means you can lay two people down in the legroom in the back seat)...

My current Passat has big time room inside for all seats. Also, once you are in there is lots of extra room around - not squeezed in by the doors. Then again, I am "only" 200 lbs.

I think a decent mid-sized sedan is fine for those up to 250 or so. If you are bigger than you're going to have "test drive" stuff - or at least "test sit".

As a comparison, our Outbacks and Foresters have had much less in interior sitting space.

I've been a contractor my entire life so I know about hauling stuff. There comes a point, though, where you can get 90% of the stuff you need in the Sedan (back seats fold...and/or roof racks) and you can get the other 10% delivered or rent a truck once every 5 years.

If your lifestyle involves almost daily hauling of long and large loads - well, that is another story. But I really don't see a lot of people these days having that need. Check out many of the really big SUV's and a small woman will be behind the wheel with a cell phone to her ear.

Even the guy who did my roof shingles...he drove an old Saab. The shingles always get delivered...and all he needed were the tools and a ladder on the roof racks.

I had every type of truck and van for many decades...throughout a career as a carpenter, contractor and then HVAC installation business. When all (3) kids and the dog and the boat were in the house, we had minivans which would hold us all and tow the (small) boat so we could go down to our beach house.

I even used the minivan with the seats out to deliver and/or show (road trip) 800 lb boilers and other equipment.

Many of these SUVs are a matter of want...not of need. Up here (new england) people often do want the AWD....that's why Subies are very popular. But, truth be told, the roads are plowed well about 2 hours after any decent snowfall and front wheel drive does the trick 99% of the time.

Hey, if people pay cash for their vehicles and want to waste it...that's their call. I do laugh at many of them when they try to fit into parking lots and spaces made for smaller vehicles. If you have a truck you shouldn't be going into the "car parking garage" which is specifically made for cars and their turning radiuses, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 08:32 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Actually the few sedans I have owned have had VAST room inside. We used to describe our own MB 190 as being like a Checker Cab (for those younger folks, that means you can lay two people down in the legroom in the back seat)...

My current Passat has big time room inside for all seats. Also, once you are in there is lots of extra room around - not squeezed in by the doors. Then again, I am "only" 200 lbs.

I think a decent mid-sized sedan is fine for those up to 250 or so. If you are bigger than you're going to have "test drive" stuff - or at least "test sit".

As a comparison, our Outbacks and Foresters have had much less in interior sitting space.

I've been a contractor my entire life so I know about hauling stuff. There comes a point, though, where you can get 90% of the stuff you need in the Sedan (back seats fold...and/or roof racks) and you can get the other 10% delivered or rent a truck once every 5 years.

If your lifestyle involves almost daily hauling of long and large loads - well, that is another story. But I really don't see a lot of people these days having that need. Check out many of the really big SUV's and a small woman will be behind the wheel with a cell phone to her ear.

Even the guy who did my roof shingles...he drove an old Saab. The shingles always get delivered...and all he needed were the tools and a ladder on the roof racks.

I had every type of truck and van for many decades...throughout a career as a carpenter, contractor and then HVAC installation business. When all (3) kids and the dog and the boat were in the house, we had minivans which would hold us all and tow the (small) boat so we could go down to our beach house.

I even used the minivan with the seats out to deliver and/or show (road trip) 800 lb boilers and other equipment.

Many of these SUVs are a matter of want...not of need. Up here (new england) people often do want the AWD....that's why Subies are very popular. But, truth be told, the roads are plowed well about 2 hours after any decent snowfall and front wheel drive does the trick 99% of the time.

Hey, if people pay cash for their vehicles and want to waste it...that's their call. I do laugh at many of them when they try to fit into parking lots and spaces made for smaller vehicles. If you have a truck you shouldn't be going into the "car parking garage" which is specifically made for cars and their turning radiuses, etc.

The same could be said about people that drive in a fancy BMW, or a MB, or a Lexus,or a Cadillac they don’t need a fancy car like those but they want them anyway. So people drive what they want regardless if they really need something like that, it’s a free country so you can drive what you want. I don’t sit there and think why people drive what the drive I’ve got better thing to do, and when a topic like this is put on CD then someone has to much time on their hands or likes to complain about everything. I live my own life i could care less what others are driving.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:07 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,929,182 times
Agree with the idea that SUVs should be declared High Profile Vehicles and be restricted from the high speed lane. Same for large pickup trucks that obscure the view ahead.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Agree with the idea that SUVs should be declared High Profile Vehicles and be restricted from the high speed lane. Same for large pickup trucks that obscure the view ahead.
That will never happen.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:58 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
It isn't the price per gallon so much, it is that in Germany they "drive". Ticketed if not passing in a left lane on a highway and they have no speed limits on some of their roadways. They need real performance cars, not floating living rooms. In the US it is about big so all our fatter people can get in and out of these big things. Germans feel the need to perform (handle). Gotta love the GTIs and Golf R's. Nice cars with comfort.
Germany (and most of the world gets GTD's!!!), so 50mpg GTI's (using FREE fuel or Bio-D) I make my own in the USA. (fuel and GTD's) GTD's are not imported to USA and Canada.

USA is all about BIG and BULLY and inefficient (the privilege / selfishness) , so the SUV thing can be intimidation AND SAFETY... i.e. a BIG something can inflict a LOT of physical and bodily damage to someone in a small something.

In TX you get the message... BIG drivers expect you to 'shoulder drive' to let them by, but BIG drivers will NEVER shoulder drive to let a simple 'car' / minivan / Cross get past them.

Rules of the road / the 'henpecking' order of the byways.

Getting a bit worse, as I find frantically hurrying soccer moms in BIG SUVs Honking / tailgating / aggressively pushing around the little ole ladies in their Ford Focuses... Ironically, I have found the same SUV upside down in the middle of a city street (not sure how you do a 'rollover' while in city traffic .)

Old 06-05-2018, 11:09 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
It isn't the price per gallon so much, it is that in Germany they "drive". Ticketed if not passing in a left lane on a highway and they have no speed limits on some of their roadways. They need real performance cars, not floating living rooms. In the US it is about big so all our fatter people can get in and out of these big things. Germans feel the need to perform (handle). Gotta love the GTIs and Golf R's. Nice cars with comfort.
Valid points. I don't think an F-150 is what you'd call an Autobahn vehicle. Even the smaller-engine European cars, although they may need a bit of time to reach Autobahn speeds, tend to be able to handle it once they get there.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:17 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,106,864 times
Personally, I don't think it's so much the size of the SUVs as much as it's the drivers who are trying to operate larger vehicles than they can safely and competently handle.

I've lost count how many times that either one or the other has occurred: a) some large SUV driver failed to properly park it within the lines, so I could not use the adjacent spot, or b) some large SUV driver failed to stay within the lane markers and almost sideswiped me or almost ran me off the road.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Valid points. I don't think an F-150 is what you'd call an Autobahn vehicle. Even the smaller-engine European cars, although they may need a bit of time to reach Autobahn speeds, tend to be able to handle it once they get there.
You know that Germany is a lot smaller than the USA and the roads are smaller also fule is expensive there but wages are also higher there their autoworkers are all union, unlike their plants here in this country. Pickups and SUVs were never a thing in Germany only cars. Most of their SUVs they build are for the USA and Canada markets. The pickups are a icon in this country especially the Ford,and Chevrolet the first truly suv was the Chevrolet Suburban witch came out in 1935.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Why would someone be jealous of some non-driver's vehicle? Real drivers don't want a floating living room, they want something that can handle well and avoid an accident. SUV's are unsafe to operate at speed, so they need to be driven much slower around bends in the road. I hate following them because they are so damn slow. Some of them might be sort of fast in a straight line, but not compared to my high performance European Sports Car that would make them look ridiculous in an obstacle course. Most SUVs are pretty poor at everything but hauling things, but if I just had some kids, I would choose a high performance wagon like a BMW 5 series.

or this
I can't rep you again but that is one sweet-looking wagon.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
If your really believe this than you better stay far back of them then. And as far as a big rig semi those drivers are very safety conscious and just remember those big rigs make it possible for you to eat and drive your vehicle.
Quote:
It’s their right to drive what they want they probably think you drive a tree hugger car, if people would just wouldn’t worry about what others do this world would be better off but people have to give their 2 cent opinion about everything people do or drive, just worry about yourself and don’t worry what others drive, it’s none of your business. People who drive a SUV probably think these little clown cars are unsafe to drive. And it’s their money your not paying for gas in their vehicles.
Quote:
So what you’re not paying for their gas why are you worried about it.
Quote:
You are crazy if you think large SUVs drive up gas prices, so you think the FBI and the secret service are soccer moms they all drive big Tahoe’s or Suburbans. And what do you think Fire departments drive tree hugger cars. If you don’t like large SUV’s than stay out of their way. They have the same right to be on the road as your little clown cars.
Quote:
That’s not the SUV fault you’re trying to say that if she was driving a small car it would not of happened, the driver is at fault not the vehicle. I love it when people try to blame a vehicle instead of the driver of the vehicle. That woman would of hit you regardless of what she was driving.
Quote:
The automakers are building what the American people want, and that is SUVS and pickups so get use to it.
You are so deliciously crotchety.

I can almost envision you standing on a porch shaking your fist and screaming at the neighborhood kids, "Stay off my lawn!!!!".

You crack me up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive