Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2018, 06:46 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,952,664 times

Advertisements

Not sure what the goal of this thread is other than being an obnoxious cheerleader for EV’s, but if your goal is to reduce global warming through evangelism, you’re about 100 years too late.
If we all became cavemen right now all at once, it would take the Earth 1000 years to cool back down.
https://science.howstuffworks.com/en...al-warming.htm

Industry and just maintaining our population requires a lot of carbon (your organic asparagus is not getting grown in your apartment). Your solution to carbon requires even more industry. You’ll be dead long before you see any meaningful changes. Like it or not you’re riding this one out and it won’t matter what car I’m driving.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Charging an EV from home can be 25% of the cost of buying petro fuels. If a filling station dropped its prices 75% there would be a line of cars a mile long.
We obviously don’t care. My neighbor commutes by himself in a Suburban because “he likes to ride up high”.
Your EV’s depreciation will destroy any fuel savings. Meanwhile my Wrangler only depreciates $1k a year. It does that apparently because more people want my Wrangler than want an EV.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:51 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,066,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
4 chargers for an entire apartment building isn’t a selling point for EV’s. Here desirable apartments don’t need to put up any chargers to get tenants.
The chargers were installed by the local council on a public road. There are many chargers around me, just 2 outside my block and two more to go be fitted in 18 months time. Then there are charging points everywhere. Rapid chargers as well. And the rapid chargers are in all highway service stations. I can also charge up from another EV. Brilliant eh!

The tipping point for EVs is about now. Many major manufacturers are spending billions on EV and battery production. They are not doing that for nothing. In 5 years time EVs will be all around you. You will have no choice but to buy one as filling stations close all around you. Then you will be forced by economics to be clean.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:53 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,425,323 times
Quote:
The chargers were installed by the local council on a public road. There are many chargers around me, just 2 outside my block and two more to go be fitted in 18 months time. Then there are charging points everywhere. Rapid chargers as well. And the rapid chargers are in all highway service stations. I can also charge up from another EV. Brilliant eh!

The tipping point for EVs is about now. Many major manufacturers are spending billions on EV and battery production. They are not doing that for nothing. In 5 years time EVs will be all around you. You will have no choice but to buy one as filling stations close all around you. Then you will be forced by economics to be clean.
Won’t happen big oil won’t let it happen they have very powerful political influence.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
We obviously don’t care. My neighbor commutes by himself in a Suburban because “he likes to ride up high”.
The new Jaguar i-Pace rides up high. Your neighbour will have to go EV when he cannot buy petro fuels. EVs have only 20 moving parts and will outlast ICE cars by at least three times as much. The seats will wear out before the mechanicals.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Won’t happen big oil won’t let it happen they have very powerful political influence.
BP, a part of Big Oil, over 20 years ago turned into an energy company. They also do solar.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:57 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,425,323 times
Quote:
China is bigger in area and population than the USA and going towards EVs - fast. The trend in the world, and the USA, which is in the world although reading some here you would think it was on Mars, is all going EV. China has more charging points than the USA has gas filling stations. All Filling stations can become charging stations quite quickly.

You will be driving an EV sooner than you think.
Not in my lifetime my good bloke, you worry about your little country that depends on the USA for its survival us Americans are not about to give up our SUVs and pickups remember we are the country that put the world on wheels.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
The new Jaguar i-Pace rides up high. Your neighbour will have to go EV when he cannot buy petro fuels. EVs have only 20 moving parts and will outlast ICE cars by at least three times as much. The seats will wear out before the mechanicals.
Petrol will always be available in America. You obviously know nothing about this country.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:

But nobody’s buying. You don’t get it. They’re pouring just as much if not more into gas powered trucks. They may be anticipating selling them to China, but nobody here is buying them in meaningful quantities outside a few urban metros. Go find an EV in Montana.

You forget those outlets were provided by your taxes. Gas stations are not. Your model is unsustainable.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
BP, a part of Big Oil, over 20 years ago turned into an energy company. They also do solar.
But that’s not where their money comes from is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive