Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2021, 05:01 PM

37,185 posts, read 39,473,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Obviously electric vehicles are great, however California is already having issues producing electricity❗️

California in 2019 (likely upped in 2020) had a third of its electrical production from renewable energy: https://www.energy.ca.gov/data-repor...ric-generation

Much of the rest of it was natural gas which can be pretty efficient as can be the significant contribution from nuclear energy. Its problems with electricity are almost never with production issues, but fire risks and actual fires from transmission. However, if there is more local storage and generation, then you don't have as large of an issue with transmission and California is pretty well-situated for local solar energy generation but it needs storage. The crazy thing is that CA overproduces in some parts and some times with solar and sends that out of state or does nothing with it, but a lot of that is because it did not have the storage capacity for storing that overproduction when generation exceeds demand. That's something they're trying to fix and ties into EVs in that cheaper battery storage capacity can be a large component of such, but it remains to be seen how successful they'll be in doing so over the next few years. Those with means have been able to opt for local energy storage with their solar panels to weather any fire-risk transmissions pretty well, but the question is if the costs can come down sufficiently such that those who aren't upper middle class and above can do the same.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-15-2021 at 05:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2021, 10:08 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,104,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
......... The 2035 target is a very long time. If you took the stats for EVs from even 2015 to now, that 5 year difference is massive, so 15 years is definitely a very different EV fleet average from today............the number of different pathways in research over the last several years to improve batteries as that's betting that all of them are dead-ends for production.

So, if EVs are going to be so massively improved by 2035, why is it necessary to force the buying public to buy one? If they are better, they will take over the market.

You only have to force the public to purchase a product if it is an inferior product or the cost of it is not economical.

Old 01-16-2021, 10:15 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,104,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The median range of a new electric vehicle is about 250 miles, so they wouldn't need to do that. However, they would need to do that if it's a 300 mile roundtrip ......

Let me guess. You live in a huge city in some tiny state., In the western states and in the middle of the country, it is nothing to have a 300 mile trip. Some people drive that far to go to Costco.

Myself, I often do a trip where I have to gas up half way and I get close to 400 miles on a tank of gas. An EV isn't going to do the job for me without a refueling stop. Those halfway gas stations are crowded. I can't imaging they are going to have electric hookups for everyone who comes by, no waiting for your turn.

You really can not bind everyone, by law, to meet your particular situation in life. There are plenty of differences in lifestyle and situations that aren't the same as what would work for you.

Old 01-16-2021, 02:58 PM

6,469 posts, read 3,163,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Let me guess. You live in a huge city in some tiny state., In the western states and in the middle of the country, it is nothing to have a 300 mile trip. Some people drive that far to go to Costco.

Myself, I often do a trip where I have to gas up half way and I get close to 400 miles on a tank of gas. An EV isn't going to do the job for me without a refueling stop. Those halfway gas stations are crowded. I can't imaging they are going to have electric hookups for everyone who comes by, no waiting for your turn.

You really can not bind everyone, by law, to meet your particular situation in life. There are plenty of differences in lifestyle and situations that aren't the same as what would work for you.
Well stated, and you make the point that I, too, have been going after.

Old 01-16-2021, 03:23 PM

8,350 posts, read 6,441,137 times
The new so called electric Mustang takes 10 hours, overnight to get a misely 30 miles of charge.

Old 01-16-2021, 03:50 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,228,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
The new so called electric Mustang takes 10 hours, overnight to get a misely 30 miles of charge.
Yeah I don't think these are going to be the future anytime soon

Old 01-16-2021, 03:52 PM

Quote:
The EV fans like to point out that it is cheaper to run.

It won't be after the vehicles make up a large percentage of the vehicle pool. Electricity prices will go up and new taxes will be added to the electric bill.

Oregon was thinking of (or maybe they did it) making the annual registration taxes much higher for the EVs because they are using the highways and not paying the gas taxes that pay for highway maintenance.

Fueling stations are going to have to be expensive. If electric is 10 cents a kilowatt at home, it will be 50 cents a KW at a fueling station, because the infrastructure will be expensive to install and there still must be an employee on site.

Maybe quick charging will be 20 minutes, but not unless you are the only vehicle in line to use the charger. If everyone has an electric vehicle, there will be lines at the charging stations and every car in front of you will be there for at least 20 minutes (and maybe much longer). If you have to wait for 2-3 cars to charge before you can get access to the charger, and then you still need to wait 20 minutes for your own car, it is not going to be quick to refuel.
You know that's something I completely overlooked the texts you pay per gallon on gas go to fund the roads and that money will just have to come out of your electric bill. or you'll have to pay a $2,000 vehicle registration or something like that.

Old 01-16-2021, 03:59 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,329,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post

Only if you plug it into 110v. A Level 2 home charger (about $500) will charge it from empty to full (0 to 270 miles range) in about 4 hours. And a DC fast charger does empty to 80% charge in about 15-20 minutes.

Why do you people ALWAYS spout incorrect information and NEVER listen to those of us that have direct long term experience? HMMM? JFC.

Old 01-16-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Only if you plug it into 110v. A Level 2 home charger (about $500) will charge it from empty to full (0 to 270 miles range) in about 4 hours. And a DC fast charger does empty to 80% charge in about 15-20 minutes.

Why do you people ALWAYS spout incorrect information and NEVER listen to those of us that have direct long term experience? HMMM? JFC.
You don't spout incorrect information the reality is different from the sales pitch. It's great that you're enthusiastic about electric cars I think they should exist there is a market demand, and as long as that exists the technology will increase. I don't think electric cars are practical for most people at this point because of the inconveniences. I know you probably don't care about the enemy but other people do.

Old 01-16-2021, 08:01 PM

37,185 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
So, if EVs are going to be so massively improved by 2035, why is it necessary to force the buying public to buy one? If they are better, they will take over the market.

You only have to force the public to purchase a product if it is an inferior product or the cost of it is not economical.

I actually don't think it's necessary. Like I said, I think bans don't make much sense, especially bans that far out in time. A ban in 2025 might be meaningful, but a ban in 2035 is both not very meaningful and at the same time raise a lot of hackles. It's pretty much just a show.

Quote:

I live in NYC right now, but lived in various parts of the US and grew up in the handsome western states where I drove a lot including in the not-so-densely populated Palouse region and quite a few long interstate trips in the west. I never said that 300 mile trips aren't every done, but they also aren't really that common to do with absolutely no stops along the way and there is and will be more EVs that do 400+ miles per charge (Model S Long Range is the only one right now). The number of people who drive that much just to get to Costco is virtually nil unless you're talking about trucks helping stock up, and for the very, very small proportion of people who do so, well, it's not going to be in MA which is a pretty tiny state as you stated earlier.

EVs might not work for you at the moment or even in the near future. By the end of this year there will probably be a few more EVs that do 400+ miles but they'll be expensive. Moreover, EVs actually won't be a good idea for several years for anyone who doesn't own a home where they can park and charge as one of the major benefits of having an EV is that you basically start off with a full tank every day.

As an aside, ~400 miles for the US is my bet for when battery improvements in terms of cost per capacity and density start accruing mostly to lowering the marginal cost of the vehicle or lowering the weight for efficiency and lowering costs of other parts of the vehicle in order to not have to carry so much weight (and also lower costs).

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-16-2021 at 08:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive