Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2021, 04:45 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
a solid state battery would give you more life I'm not sure it would reduce the fire hazard because it's still going to heat up you can't go around that. that chemical reaction is a lot of physics but you can cool it I've heard of radiators and such on electric cars.

Solar panels have been promising the world for decades I will believe it when I see it.

I still think the biggest impact made on this was that Elon Musk he made the first cool electric car before that they were less cool than a minivan. And essentially he found a market. I think that will be the biggest impact in this whole thing. As far as mass adoption that's going to require a lot of infrastructure I think if that happens it will take decades.
Yeah my Volt has a chiller connected to the electric a/c compressor. The coolant gets pumped through the chiller and then through the battery. On a warm day you can hear the compressor and fans running while the car is charging.

The downside of this is that if you have a closed garage it can make it pretty hot in there. Luckily my garage is in the back of my house, so I just leave the door open to let the heat out.

Old 01-29-2021, 04:53 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,226,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Existing lithium ion batteries are flammable. They will burn. The Goodenough has nothing that will burn. In fact one of its big advantages is that it needs no fire resistance cover. A big weight advantage.
it still would generate heat especially on the up charge.
Quote:
And I would fully agree that Musk was a big help in launching the EV. But the other techs are coming along and making important breakthroughs. And I would think Goodenough played what will turn out to be an even more important role than Musk.
Sure but the market and the desire for electric cars wouldn't extras without Musk's tesla, before the Tesla nobody really wanted an electric car, they sucked.

Old 01-29-2021, 05:09 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,363,447 times
Quote:
it still would generate heat especially on the up charge.

Sure but the market and the desire for electric cars wouldn't extras without Musk's tesla, before the Tesla nobody really wanted an electric car, they sucked.
Sure they get hot. But no fires. No need to cool them either. Just let them cook. And they are somewhat more efficient than the lithium ion. The can charge very quickly and have lower losses. And they are expected to have very long lives. Multiple times the ion version with small loss of capacity.

Tesla was instrumental in getting the market off the ground. The tech guys however will make it very competitive with ICE and will roll up the ICEs in time.

Old 01-29-2021, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Sure they get hot. But no fires. No need to cool them either. Just let them cook. And they are somewhat more efficient than the lithium ion. The can charge very quickly and have lower losses. And they are expected to have very long lives. Multiple times the ion version with small loss of capacity.

Tesla was instrumental in getting the market off the ground. The tech guys however will make it very competitive with ICE and will roll up the ICEs in time.
Heat is bad news for a battery. also there are electrical connections that can catch on fire and there are components surrounding the battery that can catch on fire so it's probably not a good idea to let them cook.

I think Tesla was instrumental in making the market. Electric cars have been around since 1890 they're payday was in 1900 when the last electric car held the world speed record they were toppled by the internal combustion engine and they have never regained positions since.

Old 01-29-2021, 06:15 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,363,447 times
Quote:
Heat is bad news for a battery. also there are electrical connections that can catch on fire and there are components surrounding the battery that can catch on fire so it's probably not a good idea to let them cook.

I think Tesla was instrumental in making the market. Electric cars have been around since 1890 they're payday was in 1900 when the last electric car held the world speed record they were toppled by the internal combustion engine and they have never regained positions since.
You are missing the whole point of the Goodenough solid state battery. They are built to get hot and there is nothing in the storage system that will be damaged. That is the whole point of the battery design. So the problems with other batteries is irrelevant. And there is nothing close that will be damaged. All they need is air cooling.

And Tesla was useful as a truth of concept. And that was his role. If he ends up with a winner it will be the Robotaxi. It is the GM, Toyota and Volkswagen who make it fly.

Old 01-29-2021, 10:48 PM

Quote:
You are missing the whole point of the Goodenough solid state battery. They are built to get hot and there is nothing in the storage system that will be damaged. That is the whole point of the battery design. So the problems with other batteries is irrelevant. And there is nothing close that will be damaged. All they need is air cooling.

And Tesla was useful as a truth of concept. And that was his role. If he ends up with a winner it will be the Robotaxi. It is the GM, Toyota and Volkswagen who make it fly.
No I get the point if it's is great as people are saying it is then great if reality doesn't match up with this and that's completely possible then it isn't that great.

The battery itself is useless without something to power with it so if you're going to power a car or a vehicle of some sort then there's going to be other things attached to it and yes these things can fail the myth of an impervious system is a myth.

No it's not car manufacturers that make it fly it's society as a whole. Electric cars will need a lot of infrastructure and we as a society are either going to take these measures or were not and that's going to be what makes or breaks the electric car

Old 01-30-2021, 12:13 AM

9,989 posts, read 5,689,285 times
Quote:
Nope.
Yep. The facts don't care about your opinions or anecdotes.

Quote:
We are pretty well expert at the utility costs of similar homes in La Vegas. Do to the high summer heat heavy cooling systems are in order and that leads to common usage of heat pumps.

We have been involved in the sale of a few hundred homes with at least 50 in this general class. How many sales have you been involved in?
It doesn't matter if either of us been involved in zero sales or 500,000 sales. The selection bias of the market you serve -- and especially of your own home as a template -- is not necessarily reflective of the average household experience, even in your location.

If you think you need a 255kW to 400kW battery backup system, well, go for it. The vast majority of Americans and even Nevadans don't need anywhere near that much, and nobody sells residential backup systems coming remotely close to that capacity.

Quote:
And we have avoided committing to such systems as I am an EE by training and 40 year career and have followed this tech since the late 60s. There are still a large set of technological advances that will occur over the next 5 years.
Even 5 years from now, a 400kW backup system will still be massively expensive and massive overkill. In a sun-drenched, low-latitude place like Vegas, you'd be better off spending way less money on roughly 5% of that capacity and a solar array that will actually yield immediate and year-round benefits instead of sinking all that money into an immense heap of batteries that will sit there unused literally 99%+ of the time.

Old 01-30-2021, 06:43 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Quote:
Sure. Before Tesla, the EV buyer was the Prius owner. Tesla delivered eye-popping performance. Owning a Tesla is a status symbol. I’ll be watching the next crop of EVs closely. My big win is panels on the roof and moving from natural gas to a heat pump to heat my house. An EV charging off the panels is just a bonus.

My car requirements include some towing capabilities. Until I can buy an EV that can pull at least 3,500 pounds, I’m not interested. My boat lives in a slip all summer but I’d like the option of trailering it 250 miles to downeast Maine every summer. I rent U Haul trailers several times every year. I want to be able to rent a 6x12 open trailer to get rid of a downed tree. Or haul a load of seashells for my driveway. The convenience of AWD would be nice but I’d be fine with FWD and snow tires.

That car doesn’t exist yet at anywhere near my price point. A $35k crossover would do the job. Since that’s the sweet spot for the car market, I’m sure the EV equivalent is coming.

Old 01-30-2021, 08:23 AM

37,161 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Sure. Before Tesla, the EV buyer was the Prius owner. Tesla delivered eye-popping performance. Owning a Tesla is a status symbol. I’ll be watching the next crop of EVs closely. My big win is panels on the roof and moving from natural gas to a heat pump to heat my house. An EV charging off the panels is just a bonus.

My car requirements include some towing capabilities. Until I can buy an EV that can pull at least 3,500 pounds, I’m not interested. My boat lives in a slip all summer but I’d like the option of trailering it 250 miles to downeast Maine every summer. I rent U Haul trailers several times every year. I want to be able to rent a 6x12 open trailer to get rid of a downed tree. Or haul a load of seashells for my driveway. The convenience of AWD would be nice but I’d be fine with FWD and snow tires.

That car doesn’t exist yet at anywhere near my price point. A $35k crossover would do the job. Since that’s the sweet spot for the car market, I’m sure the EV equivalent is coming.

Current Model X will get you there (towing capacity 5,000 pounds, 360 miles range probably halved if towing at its capacity, AWD), but it is definitely more than $35K. To get that for $35K would probably have to be later in the decade.

Old 01-30-2021, 08:57 AM

12,477 posts, read 9,560,412 times
Quote:
:
:
Tesla is a lot more than a proof of concept. They dominate the market and their vehicles are the benchmark that other automakers are chasing. Now, the market is still young, and traditional automakers may surpass them in the end, but so far, they are struggling just to equal the Tesla's vehicles' price, performance, range and charging network - still clearly short on those key comparison points.

P.S. Beyond traditional automakers, I think that Chinese EV companies bear watching. As a nation, they're putting more effort into them, and they can undercut on price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive