Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 05:29 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,133,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
And if not, they might have some nice veterans to trade for prospects in July.
I can imagine the club's thinking..."The Indians, with the departure of Kluber, are done as the divisional dominator for a few years, the Twins leaped from 78 to 101 wins in 2019 so they may be a fluke and 2020 will see them slide back to somewhere between 78 and 101 wins. Both the Tigers and the Royals will be returning the nucleus of bad clubs, so 2020 is our window of opportunity."

Sometimes these seize-the-day efforts pan out...the Marlin championships come to mind, and sometimes they backfire. Seattle and San Diego have tried it several times and never gotten satisfactory results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 05:34 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times
I like what the WS and many other aggressive clubs have done the last month.

Fewer MLB doormats in 2020.

I am sick of watching many play the role of the Washington Generals of MLB.

Old 01-08-2020, 11:32 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,184,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I can imagine the club's thinking..."The Indians, with the departure of Kluber, are done as the divisional dominator for a few years, the Twins leaped from 78 to 101 wins in 2019 so they may be a fluke and 2020 will see them slide back to somewhere between 78 and 101 wins. Both the Tigers and the Royals will be returning the nucleus of bad clubs, so 2020 is our window of opportunity."

Sometimes these seize-the-day efforts pan out...the Marlin championships come to mind, and sometimes they backfire. Seattle and San Diego have tried it several times and never gotten satisfactory results.
The Sox's plan has gone back further than just what the Twins and Indians have done recently, though certain internal options going through injury, not panning out or coming along too slowly likely drove some decisions. I don't think they expected the Twins to be this far out front, and I don't think they could've foreseen the Indians trying to offload their best pitcher and position player in the same offseason.

The Sox's plan really began with the Chris Sale and Adam Eaton trades in December 2016. Along with signing Robert out of Cuba during the 2017 season and trading Quintana for Jimenez and Cease in July 2017, 2020 was the initial opening of the window that was visible dating back 2.5-3 years. There's been some hiccups along the way with Rodon, Dunning and Kopech requiring Tommy John surgery. Former first round draft pick Jake Burger tore his achilles twice in the same month and has barely played at any minor league level. Potential internal options in right field either have developed too slowly, injured or never reached much potential (Avi Garcia, Micker Adolfo, Luis Basabe).

-Zack Collins has shown he's likely not the catcher of the future, and McCann was a good surprise last year, so they'll go with a Grandal/McCann duo (arguably the best catching combo in the league).
-2019 1st rd pick Andrew Vaughn is 1-2 years away -> therefore 1 yr w/2nd year option for Encarnacion. Very low risk.
-Kopech/Rodon/Dunning injuries, former 1st rounder Fulmer hasn't amounted to anything, and ReyLo struggles led to the Gio Gonzalez and Keuchel signings. Cease has only been up for 3 months so far. They may have 7 legit starters by September 30th.
-The Sox have rightfully traded away some solid pen arms the last couple years for prospects, a lot of the guys they've taken flyers on have struggled. "Closer of the future" Burdi has been injured multiple times. Cishek adds another nice 7th/8th inning option. For a reliever, the guy's been a model of consistency for a decade. Usually they're more hit or miss.
-Nomar Mazara is marginally worse than Ozuna, Castellanos and Puig, so might as well trade a 2nd rounder for him and see what he can do for a year before trying to get a big RF fish next year (I think they should've gone for Harper last year). That said, you're doing something right if Mazara is your 8 or 9 hitter.

For the first time in years, maybe since 2012, this team at least has some depth and a legit major league player at every position.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:36 PM

Josh Donaldson signs with Twins.

Old 01-15-2020, 06:20 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,198,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

I guess that now he can "more comfortably" buy his Mom a new Maserati every year in addition to the one he gave her recently.

I thought he would fetch more $ though, but not horrid being his age IMO.

Old 01-15-2020, 06:45 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,133,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The Twins saw that the White Sox are serious about trying to win this year and decided that they needed to shore up their arsenal.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:52 AM

6,921 posts, read 3,754,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
I guess that now he can "more comfortably" buy his Mom a new Maserati every year in addition to the one he gave her recently.

I thought he would fetch more $ though, but not horrid being his age IMO.
$23M/per that takes him through his age 37 year. Not bad for his production numbers when not hurt.

Old 01-15-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The Twins saw that the White Sox are serious about trying to win this year and decided that they needed to shore up their arsenal.

Lot of that going around the last 2 months.

Old 01-16-2020, 12:11 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,695,142 times
Mets need a new manager.

Old 01-16-2020, 04:00 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,477,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Mets need a new manager.
If they hired Girardi in the first place like they should have from the start they'd be perfectly fine right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball