Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 10:45 PM

97 posts, read 1,229,657 times

Advertisements

Check out the city of Central. I just purchased a nice house for $140,000 there. During the house hunt it was pretty 50/50 between nice houses and fixers for that price, but there are a few.

Traffic in Central is not as bad as Denham Springs, especially since they are working on the Central Throughway right now. When that is finished, it will extend Oneal lane all the way to Sullivan road. (Do a map search for Oneal lane and scroll north until you see Sullivan rd. You will see what I'm talking about.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 09:30 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,360,235 times
Congrats on your home purchase , neighbor .

Old 04-24-2011, 05:01 PM

6 posts, read 17,135 times
I will look there. Thank you. I am like that area but just isn't as much to choose from.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:02 AM

17 posts, read 37,634 times
I live in Denham Springs and, yes, rush hour traffic to/from BR is a nightmare. HOWEVER, if your work hours are outside the traditional "rush hour" timeline, it's not bad. My husband is a nurse and as he works 7a-7p, he avoids all the traffic snarls. You could probably find something in your price range easier in DS than in BR.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:08 PM

6 posts, read 17,135 times
It seems to get more house for the money but there are so many houses in DH area it's hard to pick from.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:11 PM

228 posts, read 445,103 times
Just my 2 cents: download the google earth program and scope out the surround area around your home choices inorder to get a birdeye view of the surrounding neighborhoods.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:40 AM

17 posts, read 37,634 times
Well, you definitely want to check to see if the neighborhood floods. There are a few roads that are close enough to the Amite River and, while not often, it will overflow its banks. Same thing along the Comite in the Central area.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:34 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,345,730 times
I don't know if you bought a house yet, but there's a neighborhood between florida blvd and Old Hammond Hwy that is pretty economical yet doesnt seem to have much crime. A lot of the people there take care of their yards, etc. The name of the neighborhood I think, is Riveroaks. I know somebody who lives off of Ponderosa Dr and they like it. Its a fairly convenient location.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:33 PM

96 posts, read 338,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah75 View Post
If you are open to condos, check out "The Reserve at Cedar Lodge" right off the college drive exit on corporate blvd. You could get a 1 bedroom 1 bath unit for about 125-135K. Not exactly the biggest units in the world but the amenities and area are untouchable. If you need further info, just DM me. Good luck.
Those condos are overrated. They are expensive and don't offer much quality. They are pretty much the same as their "rental" cousins next door (the Enclave). You can hear your neighbor's bowel movements if you spend enough time in an appartment there....

Old 05-31-2011, 11:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,506 times
i live in shenandoah subdivision and it is and has always been known for being a great subdivision..i would suggest looking at a sf home and not a condo for the money your choices will be to get a smaller 3 bd home around the older parts of the sub. and the ha fees are only $55 per year..i also flip houses and shenandoah never looses its values..it just increases..even though you are single it is well known for its school districts being the best public schools so it always attracts buyers. i went to school there growing up and its appeal to buyers has never changed, which just keeps our values up..thats great..oh btw def not like kansas city and shenandoah has private cop patrol that comes with that cheap ha fee, and free vacation checks since you travel alot..i hope i have helped//good luck.. you will love it here, def. southern hospitality at its best..
ps--it is also the biggest sub in the southern region so prices vary depending on what part you live in and you can come across fixer uppers for great deals...at 150 range on a turn key set up you will probally get a remodeled 1500 sq ft. living area house or a lil bigger,,and it will be a 3 bedroom 2 bath with a nice fenced in yard for your pets..

Last edited by lenaedabbs; 05-31-2011 at 11:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge