Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2016, 08:45 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
From the blurb, it's not the type of book that would interest me but your "knot in my stomach" comment did it for me. It's on my TBR list. Thanks!

--------------------------------

I'm reading Commonwealth by Ann Patchett. I've read a bunch of her books and liked (very much) three of them. (In order of love to like: Bel Canto and The Patron Saint of Liars and Truth and Beauty.) This one started rocky for me but, in hoping for another Bel Canto, I persevered. Now, at 44%, I'm locked in. I want to see what happens.
I loved Bel Canto, so please let us know how it compares.

I'm finishing up Wild by Cheryl Strayed and liked it much more than I anticipated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 08:50 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

I'm finishing up Wild by Cheryl Strayed and liked it much more than I anticipated.
I'm at 91% and I don't want it to end. It compares well. Like I mentioned up-thread, it was a rocky start and I wasn't loving it. At 44%, I was engrossed. Now? I want it to last forever. It's great.

ETA (at just after noon): I finished Commonwealth. I wanted more. I wanted to know more about these characters; I wanted to know what they did and ate and thought until the day that they each died. Anyway, I thought it was terrific. Maybe not Bel Canto terrific -- it's been 15 years since I read that and I remember nothing except that I loved it -- but Commonwealth terrific in its own right.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 09-20-2016 at 10:15 AM..

Old 09-20-2016, 09:18 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,807,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

I was very impressed by the book, partly because I found it to be one of the most brutally honest accounts of oneself that I've ever read.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:39 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
I'm at 91% and I don't want it to end. It compares well. Like I mentioned up-thread, it was a rocky start and I wasn't loving it. At 44%, I was engrossed. Now? I want it to last forever. It's great.

ETA (at just after noon): I finished Commonwealth. I wanted more. I wanted to know more about these characters; I wanted to know what they did and ate and thought until the day that they each died. Anyway, I thought it was terrific. Maybe not Bel Canto terrific -- it's been 15 years since I read that and I remember nothing except that I loved it -- but Commonwealth terrific in its own right.
On the (very long) list it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I was very impressed by the book, partly because I found it to be one of the most brutally honest accounts of oneself that I've ever read.
Yes. She was brutally honest and unflinching about the things she had done. My only complaint (and this is going to make me sound like a jerk) is that I think she goes on a little long about all the losses and sad things in her life. I was mainly in it for the hiking, although I appreciated her ability to convey grief and loss and the transformative power of the journey. But I was more engrossed by the physicality of what she went through than the personal stuff. (I told you I'd sound like a jerk.)

Old 09-20-2016, 01:01 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Nope, I didn't read State of Wonder. It takes place in a jungle, right? Not my thing.

You should definitely try Bel Canto. Amazing book.

yep that is the one and I will get bel canto and read it . Now I'm reading meet me at the bamboo table it is okay not really my thing .

Old 09-20-2016, 01:02 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Okay the perfume collector was one of the best books I have read to date and it blew me away at the ending . Ladies get this book and read it . I mean it really has the wow factor . I did not want it to end .

Old 09-20-2016, 08:20 PM

496 posts, read 395,417 times
I finished The Other Typist and loved it! I will probably read The Perfume Collector next!

Old 09-21-2016, 07:39 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Recently read a great thriller-mystery that is YA~https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true

Old 09-21-2016, 08:48 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Nope, I didn't read State of Wonder. It takes place in a jungle, right? Not my thing.

You should definitely try Bel Canto. Amazing book.
Agree about Bel Canto. It's the only one I've read until now. I just started Commonwealth.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:56 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Agree about Bel Canto. It's the only one I've read until now. I just started Commonwealth.
YAY!!! If you're like me -- and I think that you are -- you'll find the beginning a bit rocky. If you like it, you might also want to try Patron Saint of Liars. I read it in the early 1990s -- that long ago, when it first came out -- and, although I don't remember much of the story, I remember that I loved it. Her Truth and Beauty is a memoir of a great friendship and I really enjoyed that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books