Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2019, 04:35 PM

468 posts, read 356,239 times

Advertisements

I just finished American Nomads by Richard Grant....first published in Great Britain in 2003..My local library didn't have it but ordered it for me from another branch.

I had first heard of Richard Grant when I stumbled upon a documentary for the BBC with the same name....I enjoyed the documentary immensely and how it showed a way of life that many here in America are not familiar with...

So I decided to read the book version and the book went into much more detail about the American Native Indians and the way they lived...fascinating and informative......the book photo I took a few minutes ago so I could post it here....he has written other books but American Nomads is the only one to date that I have read.

And here is the documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIgOrazYFG0
Attached Thumbnails
What book are you reading?-american-nomads-richard-grant.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 11:50 PM

3,836 posts, read 1,784,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post

Next I have Beneath a Scarlet Sky (book club) on my kindle, as we are going away for a few weeks so hopefully I am set!!
I thought Beneath a Scarlet Sky was a very good book. Enjoy!

Old 05-20-2019, 05:41 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
I like short books, less than 300 pages. I like slice-of-life memoirs.

And yet...

I just started this 450-page book. A novel. The Seven or Eight Deaths of Stella Fortuna by Juliet Grames. I'm only 5% in but, so far, it's enchanting.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:09 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
A little side note a man in church yesterday was talking about a book about a dog and he said it was blue and on the cover was a yellow lab with a mountain behind it . I was going to ask him about it but church was starting and then he slipped out at end of service before I could stop him . My husband joked and said Wow I'm really surprised you did not run after him and tackle him to get the name of the book LOL. So if anyone has any clue about the title of the book thanks .

edit I found it yeah it is called merle's door lessons from a free thinking dog !!!! im going to buy it . thanks dawn .

Last edited by phonelady61; 05-20-2019 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-20-2019, 08:13 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
A little side note a man in church yesterday was talking about a book about a dog and he said it was blue and on the cover was a yellow lab with a mountain behind it . I was going to ask him about it but church was starting and then he slipped out at end of service before I could stop him . My husband joked and said Wow I'm really surprised you did not run after him and tackle him to get the name of the book LOL. So if anyone has any clue about the title of the book thanks .
Maybe this? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...aries-volume-1

Old 05-20-2019, 08:20 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post

It is called Merle' s door ; Lessons from a free thinking dog .

Old 05-20-2019, 09:58 AM

829 posts, read 411,855 times
Just finished "Five Quarters of an Orange" by Joanne Harris https://www.amazon.com/Five-Quarters.../dp/0061214604

I really enjoyed the book. Giving it 4.5 stars.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:22 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
For those who like different perspectives on WWII, I just finished Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah.

About half the book is the recollection of an old woman who was in Leningrad (now St. Petersburg) Russia during WWII.

Amazing, amazing situation that I hadn't realized - Leningrad was completely surrounded by Nazi forces but they couldn't breach the city boundary trenches. For years. And the hardships were horrific.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:10 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Conn Iggulden's War of the Roses just came in from the library, not ideal timing so I will have to juggle.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-20-2019, 01:24 PM

3,836 posts, read 1,784,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
For those who like different perspectives on WWII, I just finished Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah.

About half the book is the recollection of an old woman who was in Leningrad (now St. Petersburg) Russia during WWII.

Amazing, amazing situation that I hadn't realized - Leningrad was completely surrounded by Nazi forces but they couldn't breach the city boundary trenches. For years. And the hardships were horrific.
Yes I agree, it was interesting to learn about Leningrad. I posted about it here when I read it a couple years back, but don't think anyone responded. Sometimes I wonder if people on here are mostly tired of reading about WWII., but I learn so much and each new book offers a new perspective. The last five years there have been several books written concerning WWII.

I just finished When We Meet Again, Kristin Harmel. Some of the story discusses German young men kept POW here in the U.S. during WWII. As many as 400,000 men. That was news to me, never have I read about that.

Many of the men found the work and conditions better than fighting back in Germany. Sad thing is these men didn't have a choice, almost all were forced into it not just Nazi's. Anyway they got 3 meals a day, earned .80 cents per day, and several thousand moved back after the war. This book also included a love story and twist.

Last edited by Wintergirl80; 05-20-2019 at 01:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books