Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 04:34 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,213,159 times

Advertisements

Just finished The Torment of Others by Val McDermid, a Tony Hill novel. Like the series, like the BBC tv series as well.
Tony Hill is a clinical psycologist that profiles for the police. I wonder if he's one of the early ones? He's not your polished FBI profile but a real psychologist that is good at his job because he has issues himself. He gets along with and eventually becomes close with a female detective Carol. But unlike many forumla novels they don't immediately get along all chummy and sexual tension. This series is far more real, gritty and messy. On of the few that is not forumla. Very very good character development, plot, atmosphere although I'm getting tired of depravity You can get the BBC series on Netflix.
Anyone who likes police procedurals, criminal profiling, cop mysteries etc. will like this series I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 06:47 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,644,298 times
just finished "scarpetta factor" by patricia cornwell

Old 11-08-2009, 06:57 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,957 times
The Girl who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson. Great so far.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:21 PM

10 posts, read 31,029 times
I like to read Harry Potter's story book And also world's history books.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:27 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Pompeii, by Mary Beard...non-fiction, but written in an entertaining style that keeps its material from coming off as very dry and academic.
I really should read this, I've picked it up at the library several times w/o checking it out. I loved touring Pompeii!

I finally finished The Hour I First Believed, by Wally Lamb. He really is a wonderful writer! About half way through the book, I thought it could end there....but then all the little themes started coming together and it really got good.

Just finished my first Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan, and can't say I'm planning on reading more of him.

Currently reading 19 Minutes by Jodi Piccoult. I was looking for Her Sister's Keeper (because the movie was so good!), but this was all they had. A page-turner.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:50 PM

123 posts, read 231,483 times
Sunbathing in A Body Cast by Rebecca Rine-Stone, yes that's her real name...lol She is an author from Chicago, independently distributing this her first book. The book is an autobiographical journey through the quirky, frenetic mind of the author. It is a very interesting and fun read.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:25 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
With Wings Like Eagles by Michael Korda. A history of the Battle of Britain of 1940, with the RAF against the Luftwaffe. Very nicely done.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:56 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,712 times
Women of the Silk I'm learning things about China I never knew. Love it.

Swimming Toward the Ocean. Fantastic. About a Russian-Jewish family of immigrants in the 1950's. Author-Carole L. Glickfeld

Old 11-11-2009, 04:35 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,932,418 times
I recently read the book "How Starbucks Saved My Life". What a GREAT read! And Starbucks seems like an upstanding company!

I'm now reading "Jaws" by Peter Benchley.

The movie is the scariest movie I've ever seen (shudd up... I have a fear of water ). I remember, when I was younger, my Grandpa was reading the book and told me how much better the book was than the movie. He said it gave you a real insight to the shark, etc. My Grandpa passed away unexpectedly a short time after he read that book and now, so many years later, I decided to read the book and see what he was talking about.

So far... it scares the bejeezies outta me just like the movie!

Old 11-11-2009, 09:22 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
I got Stephen King's latest "Under the Dome" yesterday. It's huge. Nearly 1100 pages and it weighs a ton. I seriously have trouble reading it in bed because it is so bulky but it's starting off strong and I hope it continues to be strong. He has written a few I didn't care for (The Tommyknockers) but I will never give up on Stephen King because he has written so many that are so good.

There is nothing like the feeling I have when I have several good books to read. It's so comforting to have a stack waiting to be read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books