Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2019, 09:56 AM

3,827 posts, read 1,780,418 times

Advertisements

Just began 'Resistance Women' by Jennifer Chiaverini. Saw it at Target awhile back and it just became available at the library. So far its very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 10:52 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I really like Silva. Have read about 13 of his Gabrial Allon series so far.

Have you read Vince Flynn? He has a series with its main character is an undercover assassin, lots of twists and turns, suspense, counterintelligence.

My library's site allows me to keep lists of books I've read by author, it seems I've read 8 Vince Flynn novels. I sometimes get impatient waiting for my favorites to write new books. Right now I'm waiting for Donna Leon to write another and for Michael Brandman, who took over the Jesse Stone series when Robert Parker died to add to the series. I don't know if it was intentional but reading a Jesse Stone novel it's very easy to hear Tom Selleck's voice who played Jesse in a few TV movies and I really like the series.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:34 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Just picked up Daniel Silva's The New Girl. I always look forward to new books by him, one of my favorite writers.
I liked the storyline and writing. Will read more from this author. Thanks for recommendation.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:56 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
My library's site allows me to keep lists of books I've read by author, it seems I've read 8 Vince Flynn novels. I sometimes get impatient waiting for my favorites to write new books. Right now I'm waiting for Donna Leon to write another and for Michael Brandman, who took over the Jesse Stone series when Robert Parker died to add to the series. I don't know if it was intentional but reading a Jesse Stone novel it's very easy to hear Tom Selleck's voice who played Jesse in a few TV movies and I really like the series.

Yes, Donna Leon, have read several, like her a lot. My mother is a huge fan and told me about her. Also, Louise Penny. My 90yr old mother is always telling my about a new author she's found or a new book.

Haven't read Michael Brandman but have seen several of the movies with Selleck. Like them too, and no doubt would like the books.

Old 09-18-2019, 01:29 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Yes, Donna Leon, have read several, like her a lot. My mother is a huge fan and told me about her. Also, Louise Penny. My 90yr old mother is always telling my about a new author she's found or a new book.
Sweet! I look forward to still finding new authors and new books at 90 yrs old! Good for her!

Old 09-18-2019, 01:58 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Thanks.

I went ahead and read the ending chapter, which could be aptly titled "And now, for something completely awful".

I am glad I didn't wade through it.
It just came in from both my libraries at the same time. We shall see.

Old 09-19-2019, 01:25 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,384,352 times
Just finished The Lying Game by Ruth Ware. It was okay but didn't earn more than 3 stars. It's the same bla bla as The Woman in Cabin 10 which left me somehow unsatisfied. It was the third book by Ruth Ware I read and she probable won't become one of my favorite writers. The books feel too shallow as if written in a hurry to earn more money.

I'm now 12% into The Summer of Katya by Trevanian. It's a little old style English and I have yet to decide whether to go on reading.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:39 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post

I'm now 12% into The Summer of Katya by Trevanian. It's a little old style English and I have yet to decide whether to go on reading.
I really enjoyed that book! The dialogue, as I remember it, was brilliant. I hope that it gets better for you. If not, there are so many other books that are your cup of tea. Remember the 9 that you just bought?

Old 09-19-2019, 03:02 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
I think that Dawn introduced me to The Summer of Katya. Keep reading - its so different from most of what I have read, but as it goes along it is weirdly intriguing. I can't remember all of the details, but oddly I remember exactly where I was when I read it.

Old 09-20-2019, 07:52 AM

829 posts, read 410,848 times
Just finished "After the Flood" by Kassandra Montag https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...fter-the-flood

This was another one I should have bailed on early on. This was a two star read for me. I slogged along throughout the whole book which was quite dull. Both the story and the characters were quite boring. Another big UGH for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books