Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2019, 05:45 PM

208 posts, read 210,432 times

Advertisements

"In a Sunburned Country" by Bill Bryson.

Loved his books. This one was on his travels through Australia, yes? Also liked the one about traveling the Appalachian Trail. He has another about travels in the UK. Read them some time ago but still remember them and get a laugh when I remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2019, 08:38 PM

484 posts, read 197,625 times
Just finished The After Party, by Anton DiSclafani.
It was an odd story about 2 women growing up in Houston in the '50s. One woman pretty much devoted her life to the other woman, who ignored her most of the time. I was frustrated with the woman who lived her life through her friend's life. The ending was sad and strange.
I would not recommend it.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:17 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse66 View Post
Hi Mayvenne,

I was the one who mentioned "Another Brooklyn", not in error, but because I had read it...I gave it 3.5 stars which isn't exactly a glowing endorsement and that's why I also "mention" how many stars I give to the book I've read to let others maybe gauge as to whether or not they want to read it

Another short book, that I gave 4 stars to "The Friend" by Sigrid Nunez. Centered around a writer and her "adopted dog". Comes in at 212 pages.

Happy Reading to you!
Well for whatever reason, I requested and got The Friend (on kindle from the library) - not having one clue what it was about. I started it the other day and am enjoying reading it. After I finish it I will look it up and see the commentary and classifications as it's a very different (but easy to read) book.

Old 12-15-2019, 10:37 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
I'm reading The Library Book and am really enjoying it. About 1/4 of the way through.

It's about the 1986 fire that destroyed the Los Angeles Main Library.

But it's more than that. It's about the librarians, patrons, suspected arsonist, and about people who love libraries and books.

Really nice.

Old 12-16-2019, 02:35 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm reading The Library Book and am really enjoying it. About 1/4 of the way through.

It's about the 1986 fire that destroyed the Los Angeles Main Library.

But it's more than that. It's about the librarians, patrons, suspected arsonist, and about people who love libraries and books.

Really nice.
The Orchid Thief is another good one by her - later made into a movie Adaptation. (2002).

Old 12-16-2019, 07:57 AM

829 posts, read 411,855 times
Just finished "The Bear and the Nightingale" by Katherine Arden https://www.amazon.com/Bear-Nighting.../dp/1101885955

This book was a Russian fairytale, filled with Russian folklore. It had a lot of Russian characters, names, and words and took a very concentrated effort to read. If you're looking for an easy read, this isn't it! To my dismay, I didn't realize it had a glossary as to the Russian words used in the book until I was at the very end. Had I know about it, while reading, it would have made things much easier to read AND understand. UGH!

On the positive side, it did have very lyrical and descriptive writing in it which is mainly what kept me going. It is the first book in a winternight trilogy. Overall, it was a 3.5 star read for me. Will I read the other 2 books? I don't know, I don't know!

I see both ylisa and netwit have read this book, have either of you gone on to finish the trilogy, and were you glad you did?

Old 12-16-2019, 08:46 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
The Orchid Thief is another good one by her - later made into a movie Adaptation. (2002).
Both good books. I loved her descriptions of Florida.

Old 12-16-2019, 11:01 AM

39 posts, read 17,336 times
The Four Pillars of Investing by William J Bernstein

Old 12-17-2019, 09:24 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
I recently read Lisa See’s The Island of Sea Women. Wow! This is one of those unusual novels that makes me want to read more about how political strife tears apart even rural people who, at least initially, were not directly in the line of fire.

Yet the story encompasses much, much more than war’s effects on everyday life. It brings together threads of eternal questions about friendship, family responsibilities, shatteringly wrong assumptions that even friends make about each other, and “women’s work” in a very different culture from our American one. Ultimately, the book is about forgiveness.

Right now I am in the early pages of Naomi Alderman’s The Power, which promises already to be a, well, powerful story.

Old 12-17-2019, 10:42 AM

3,836 posts, read 1,784,958 times
A place in the Woods, by Helen Hoover illustrated by her husband Ade.

The is an older book about a couple who buy a cabin in the woods and describe their adventure of living away from technology and the city. I enjoyed the descriptions of nature and the many wild animals that crossed their path. The illustrations were beautiful as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books