Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2019, 07:12 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I just finished Swing Time..... I have no idea why I read that, except it was something to read before sleep, and it certainly wouldn't keep me up any longer than necessary.

Starting Bill Bryson's The Body in book format (I had listened to some on audio) and I am enjoying it much more.
I adore Bill Bryson. I haven't read this one though! Hmmmm...

His "Notes From a Small Planet" turned me onto him. I was standing in Barnes and Noble, thumbing through it and literally laughing out loud, so I figured I should probably buy this book, which I did. Now I have many of his books!

Not quite as funny but gently witty and very insightful are the books by Bruce Feiler. "Learning To Bow," "Under the Big Top," "Looking for Class," and "Dreaming Out Loud" are my favorites by him. I love how he immerses himself into a particular culture and then gently describes it - not "exposes" it, because he is far too kind for that, and I think it's his inherent kindness that allows him that access into other cultures and subcultures anyway. But he is very intuitive and I really enjoy his gently humorous writing style.

In the above books, in order, Feiler: 1) Teaches English in a rather isolated Japanese village for a couple of years, 2) joins a traveling circus for a couple of years, 3) attends college at a prestigious British college, and 4) "dives deep" into the country music scene in Nashville. Fascinating! Well, to me, anyway. But I'm a weirdo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 07:27 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
My library doesn't have any of the Feiler books you listed, but a huge amount of religious books by him. Do you think it is the same guy? I can check other libraries.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-04-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
My library doesn't have any of the Feiler books you listed, but a huge amount of religious books by him. Do you think it is the same guy? I can check other libraries.
Yes, he writes some religious books as well as some family self help books. He's actually Jewish and writes a lot about visiting the Middle East on numerous occasions. Probably the same guy. I really like him and his perspective. I've read one or two of his more religious books but I like his "cultural" books the best.'

Old 12-04-2019, 09:16 AM

115 posts, read 174,647 times
'Finding Chika' by Mitch Albom. I just started and already know it's going to be a tearjerker

Old 12-04-2019, 09:26 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaYa6119 View Post
I am reading, This Is Not Over by Holly Brown. Another Dollar Tree find and for a buck, it is really good. It starts out with one woman and her husband renting a house from another woman for the weekend. The owner claims the renter damaged her sheets and they start emailing each other back and forth in an attempt to resolve this issue. Each woman thinks she's right and their communications get increasingly more demeaning to each other. The tension is building and as it does you find out more about their individual lives. I have a sneaking suspicion they have a lot in common and if they could have met in a different way, they could have been good friends. They both have secret pasts.

I just finished another Dollar Tree find, "This Is Your Life, Harriet Chance! I really liked that one too. Surprise ending. Woman in her late 70's whose husband recently died, starts looking back at her life at different ages. Also finds out her late husband booked a cruise for 2 to Alaska, which is totally out of character. While on the cruise she finds out about the secret life her husband was leading.
One of my favorite books, The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving, was written by the same author Jonathan Evinson.

Old 12-04-2019, 09:34 AM

430 posts, read 283,859 times
Just finished North of Normal by Cea Person. Kind of Glass Castle-ish but I really enjoyed it.

Old 12-04-2019, 09:47 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude24 View Post
Just finished North of Normal by Cea Person. Kind of Glass Castle-ish but I really enjoyed it.
Strange. That author appears to have two books on exactly the same subject. The other one listed on Amazon is Nearly Normal, same description.

Old 12-04-2019, 09:50 AM

130,290 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Becasue it is the Holiday season, I am not reading anything that requires too much focus, so I will be reading mystery/thrillers. Right now I am plowing though the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich.

Old 12-04-2019, 10:15 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,219,565 times
Quote:
I just finished Swing Time..... I have no idea why I read that, except it was something to read before sleep, and it certainly wouldn't keep me up any longer than necessary.

Starting Bill Bryson's The Body in book format (I had listened to some on audio) and I am enjoying it much more.

I just finished One Summer: America 1927 by Bryson. Great read!

Old 12-04-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Strange. That author appears to have two books on exactly the same subject. The other one listed on Amazon is Nearly Normal, same description.
I just looked these up. One is from early childhood and the other picks up where that one leaves off - when she leaves her family as a teen, for a modeling career.

They both look interesting but I need to put these off till I catch up on about five books!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books