Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2019, 04:35 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
On this recommendation I got the book from the library - my favorite genre of books is books where the author is taking a road trip, or hiking trip.

I only read the introduction and am put off by how very full of himself the author appears to be - does that tone continue through the book?
He pontificates a fair bit but mostly his observations seem (to me) pretty accurate. I liked the last half of the book better than the first. Still. I enjoyed the whole book, including the accounts from earlier in his life. Remember that he started trucking as a young man and ends the book at age 58, not yet retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 05:36 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,626 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
He pontificates a fair bit but mostly his observations seem (to me) pretty accurate. I liked the last half of the book better than the first. Still. I enjoyed the whole book, including the accounts from earlier in his life. Remember that he started trucking as a young man and ends the book at age 58, not yet retired.
I had a chance to read more - I'm about 1/4 of the way through the book - and he does seem to back off on the bragging after the introduction. I'm skipping the descriptions that are very technical as far as the mechanical workings of the truck, and enjoying the stories of his interactions with people.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation!

Old 12-02-2019, 07:32 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,419,194 times
Really enjoyed A Handful of Dust especially because I had NO idea what to expect.
So different but it resonated with my love of Britishness, even though it was quite in another era.

I have just started Before I Go To Sleep which is yet another book for book club that I never would have picked, but seems like a very good read.

Old 12-02-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I had a chance to read more - I'm about 1/4 of the way through the book - and he does seem to back off on the bragging after the introduction. I'm skipping the descriptions that are very technical as far as the mechanical workings of the truck, and enjoying the stories of his interactions with people.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation!
I liked the mechanical descriptions; different strokes and all that! The book does maintain and strengthen the underlying notion that he is trying to make a customer’s emotionally difficult event (moving a household long distance) less stressful. This comes out more strongly as you keep reading the book.

The final episode was absolutely beautiful in how it closed a very long circle (across cultures, no less) that had started many generations before the final move occurred.

Glad you warmed up to it.

Old 12-02-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Really enjoyed A Handful of Dust especially because I had NO idea what to expect.
So different but it resonated with my love of Britishness, even though it was quite in another era.

I have just started Before I Go To Sleep which is yet another book for book club that I never would have picked, but seems like a very good read.
Is Before I Go To Sleep the one in which a wife wakes up not knowing her identity and the husband gradually becomes more suspect to the reader? I think I read it years ago. Yes, it’s very good.

Old 12-02-2019, 08:02 PM

484 posts, read 197,906 times
Quote:
Is Before I Go To Sleep the one in which a wife wakes up not knowing her identity and the husband gradually becomes more suspect to the reader? I think I read it years ago. Yes, it’s very good.
I read that one too and loved it.

Old 12-02-2019, 08:07 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,626 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
I liked the mechanical descriptions; different strokes and all that! The book does maintain and strengthen the underlying notion that he is trying to make a customer’s emotionally difficult event (moving a household long distance) less stressful. This comes out more strongly as you keep reading the book.

The final episode was absolutely beautiful in how it closed a very long circle (across cultures, no less) that had started many generations before the final move occurred.

Glad you warmed up to it.
Thanks! So looking forward to reading the entire book. ;D

Old 12-03-2019, 02:38 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post

Let us know what you think. I already have this book at home on my shelf...

Old 12-03-2019, 02:45 AM

4,939 posts, read 3,314,385 times
Re-reading American Country Living Christmas - Barbara Randolph.Very nice pictures and lots of inspiration, recipes etc.

Old 12-03-2019, 06:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I will probably finish Janis Joplin's biography today. It is VERY well written and interesting.

Janis: Her Life and Music by Holly George-Warren:
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/jan...n/1130507695#/

After this, I have my choice of books since I kind of went on a buying tear. If anyone has read any of these, I'd love to get some feedback so I can decide which one to read next!

Thunderstruck by Eric Larson - I really like this author:
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/thu...n/1100266763#/

The Only Street In Paris by Elaine Sciolino:
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the...o/1121137364#/

Another Life by Michael Korda:
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/ano...rda/1111594006

Home Work by Julie Andrews:
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/hom...s/1130777570#/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books