Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2024, 08:53 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The Measure by Nikki Erlick. Very good, especially for a book club discussion.

Set in current times, everyone in the world who's over 22 gets a box delivered to their doorstep on the morning of March 1, with their name on it. Inside, is a string. The length of the string turns out to be a measure of the length of their life.

REALLY interesting premise, for a first novel.

yes, me, my spouse and my sister all read this and loved it.
this was a great book.

I wouldn't have NOT opened my box, and just carried on with life.

I really enjoyed that book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2024, 05:21 AM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times
Retribution, by Max Hastings.

An incredible book on the last 2 years of the Pacific theater in world war 2, but featuring mainland China, South East Asia, Burma and other nations.

This is my first book by Max Hastings. He's a great historian and writer.

Old 03-23-2024, 06:14 AM

829 posts, read 410,848 times
Finished Let Us Descend by Jesmyn Ward https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...let-us-descend

Another Oprah's Book Club selection that just didn't do it for me. This was a 3 star read for me.

Old 03-23-2024, 10:50 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I tried to read that a couple years ago, after also seeing it on lists all my life as one of the best books to read. I just couldn't get through it - it was just too "dense". I bought the CliffsNotes and read them instead, and that was good.
I have read a lot of books my entire life. This is also one of the few books I started and couldn't finish. My son, OTOH, found my old copy and has read it twice.

Old 03-23-2024, 12:20 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I have read a lot of books my entire life. This is also one of the few books I started and couldn't finish. My son, OTOH, found my old copy and has read it twice.
For me it was The Fountainhead. I really tried, but gave up somewhere after page 600. Sometimes, less is more.

On a similar note, a few winters ago I finally decided to tackle The Gulag Archipelago. It had been on my Reading List for years and when I found a used paperback at a library sale I knew the time had come. After getting through all 600+ pages of this horrifying, fascinating story, something felt wrong. "So what happened to him?" I wondered.

Turns out I had only completed volume one of three. I had no idea it was that lengthy and decided to abort the mission. It's emotionally difficult to read, and left me feeling more depressed about humanity than usual.

Old 03-23-2024, 09:07 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post

An incredible book on the last 2 years of the Pacific theater in world war 2, but featuring mainland China, South East Asia, Burma and other nations.

I agree. I read Retribution: The Battle for Japan, 1944…by Max Hastings. Here's my CD "review" (link).

Old 03-24-2024, 09:10 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Been catching up on Donna Everhart's books. Easy reading and pretty decent writing and story lines

Old 03-24-2024, 10:22 PM
Status: "I have read 24 books this year!!!" (set 2 days ago)

436 posts, read 195,488 times

This graphic novel has been lingering on my bookshelf for some years. So I decided to read it. It pleased me but I'll donate it since the library has some copies.

Anyone who may love this book more than me can get it from the Little Free Library.

Old 03-25-2024, 06:18 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post

I'm listening to an audiobook of Max Hasting's, Catastrophe 1914: Europe Goes to War. It is also my first Max Hastings book. It covers the the beginning of the war in 1914. It is definitely holding my attention. The best part is his explanation of what led up to the war. I'm half way through the book and haven't got to the end of August 1914.

Old 03-25-2024, 07:56 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I'm listening to an audiobook of Max Hasting's, Catastrophe 1914: Europe Goes to War. It is also my first Max Hastings book. It covers the the beginning of the war in 1914. It is definitely holding my attention. The best part is his explanation of what led up to the war. I'm half way through the book and haven't got to the end of August 1914.
I haven't read that one yet. I read I read Retribution: The Battle for Japan, 1944…by Max Hastings. Here's my CD "review" (link), about the war in the Pacific. As far as August 1914 I read The Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman. I will look into the Hastings book because what Guns does not cover is how Europe surrendered control of the civilized world to the United States and Canada since Europe merrily and literally carved itself up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books