Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2018, 11:35 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times

Advertisements

The stars now unclaimed / Drew Williams, c2018, Tom Doherty, science fiction.

Subjects
  • Gifted children -- Fiction.
Summary
  • "Jane Kamali is an agent for the Justified. Her mission: to recruit children with miraculous gifts in the hope that they might prevent the Pulse from once again sending countless worlds back to the dark ages. Hot on her trail is the Pax--a collection of fascist zealots who believe they are the rightful rulers of the galaxy and who remain untouched by the Pulse. Now Jane, a handful of comrades from her past, and a telekinetic girl called Esa must fight their way through a galaxy full of dangerous conflicts, remnants of ancient technology, and other hidden dangers. And that's just the beginning..."--Amazon.
Length
  • 447 pages ;
Military SF by a dab hand. Excellent space opera. A quick read - the story carries you along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 11:48 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,328,392 times
Behind the Lodge Door, by Paul A Fisher - an examination of a time in the late Forties and Fifties when as many as five of the nine Justices of the Supreme Court were members of the Free Masonic Order; the author identifies as a Roman Catholic academic.

But interestingly, the majority of those men (Robert Jackson, Earl Warren, Felix Frankfurter, William O. Douglas and Hugo Black) were secular liberals/progressives, although Black, who seems to draw the closest scrutiny, was previously a Senator from Alabama, and thus had no choice but to pay lip service to the Ku Klux Klan and the rest of the power structure of his time. And it's worth noting that both Franklin Roosevelt and Harry Truman were Freemasons; Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan were not.

Speaking personally, I've been approached about joining the Masons on several occasions, but declined due to a lack of enthusiasm for ritual and ceremony, (although I enjoy the subject from the viewpoint of a neutral observer; I do belong to a major fraternity with a strong Masonic heritage); and in my home community of Berwick, PA, which has a strong "white ethnic" component, almost all the Knights of Columbus were accepted into the local Masonic lodge, with no apparent opposition from local clergy, several years ago.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 09-08-2018 at 12:38 PM..

Old 09-09-2018, 05:27 AM

35,017 posts, read 16,978,303 times
The Earthbound Parent: How (and Why) to Raise Your Little Angels Without Religion by Richard A. Conn Jr. At Page 70. It's thoroughly well written. I just as thoroughly disagree with just about every word of the book.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:37 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The Earthbound Parent: How (and Why) to Raise Your Little Angels Without Religion by Richard A. Conn Jr. At Page 70. It's thoroughly well written. I just as thoroughly disagree with just about every word of the book.

Good for you for reading something you disagree with!!!! Did that sound sarcastic? Totally did not mean it that way.

I think it is always good for us to get opposing views on just about everything!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-09-2018, 11:00 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Good for you for reading something you disagree with!!!! Did that sound sarcastic? Totally did not mean it that way.

I think it is always good for us to get opposing views on just about everything!

Oh, I agree...keeps one from being self righteous about topics...and helps you learn there are always two sides to a story, like it or not.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:58 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:

Agreed...good for you. So why did you choose this book?

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Oh, I agree...keeps one from being self righteous about topics...and helps you learn there are always two sides to a story, like it or not.
Agreed.

Meh...I'm reading through some of my first kindle books. I think I'll have to skim a lot of them

Old 09-09-2018, 05:31 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,838 times
Am currently reading EDUCATED, A Memoir, by Tara Westover. If you enjoy an atmospheric mystery, try THE DEATH OF MRS. WESTAWAY by Ruth Ware.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:26 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I won't even bother telling you how The Language of Kindness is going. Or went. Or didn't go. You already know.

And I won't bother telling you what book I'll try next, after these approximately 46,592 failures. There's no point. I'll come back when I've FINISHED something.
I'm right there with you. I managed to finish Crazy Rich Asians which does not require many brain cells, but I've been floundering since then.

ETA: Just saw your update--Glad you found something you like!

Last edited by Marlow; 09-10-2018 at 01:44 PM..

Old 09-10-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:

No, it did not and I thoroughly agree. In this day and age of the "Internet Echo Chamber" people can self-select for material with which they agree. I may read and grit my teeth, but I do read opposing views.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Quote:

Agreed...good for you. So why did you choose this book?
It was written by a high-school classmate, and strongly recommended by another classmate with whom I am close friends. The one that's my friend has to have an IQ of about 158, or double mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books