Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2021, 04:57 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2021, 05:57 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Finished up The Assassination of Fred Hampton (excellent 7/7 stars), Mediocre (really good), and There There (liked it but didn't love it). Reading Interior Chinatown now -- not sure if I like it. Some interesting points but odd structure.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:27 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Finished up The Assassination of Fred Hampton (excellent 7/7 stars), Mediocre (really good), and There There (liked it but didn't love it). Reading Interior Chinatown now -- not sure if I like it. Some interesting points but odd structure.
Liked There There. I read two chapters of[b]Interior Chinatown and gave up. Currently reading The Committed. The Sympathizer was a favorite and this is a follow-up.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:31 AM

829 posts, read 411,855 times
Just finished "Weather" by Jenny Offill https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/37506228-weather

I was very entertained by this book. Another short one at 201 pages and easy to read! Baffled by the low ratings on goodreads, I am giving it 4 stars.

"You have to help me, Lizzie, my brother says. I am, I tell him. I am helping you. I sit him on the couch, put on "My Strange Addiction".

Always a soothing hour of television. At Least I don't eat talcum powder, one can comfort oneself. At least I'm not in love with the Verrazzano Bridge."

"Catherine wrote Self Care on my brother's hand in black marker. This is to remind him to go outside more, to eat better food, to step away from the computer."

"As soon as he got back, Ben made me make an appointment to get this mole on my arm checked, I stood there in my dingy bra and Target underwear while the doctor examined me. He was well groomed with a plume of silver-gray hair and an unplaceable European accent. He held a magnifying glass up to my skin. Described every mark on my body one by one: Exceedingly unlikely to be cancerous! Exceedingly unlikely to be cancerous!

He had a melodious voice. I wanted every day to be like this, to begin in shame and fear and end in glorious reassurance."

Old 03-29-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Best read of the year so far. Two stories that connect throughout the years. I've read Erik Larson's Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania, Issac's storm, and The Splendid and the Vile - and imho this is the best so far.

I have In the Garden of Beasts, and The Devil in the White City lined up to read later. Now a known to me quantity, I'd probably preorder anything new he put out.

A quote from the book:

I am sorry that I am prevented from attending your dinner tonight especially as I should like to pay my respects to Marconi, the young man who had the monumental audacity to attempt and succeed in jumping an electric wave clear across the Atlantic Ocean.

- telegram from Thomas Edison

_

Old 03-29-2021, 04:27 PM

4,936 posts, read 3,313,142 times
The encyclopaedia of essential oils - Julia Lawless.

Old 03-29-2021, 05:53 PM
Status: "I have read 26 books this year!!!" (set 8 hours ago)

449 posts, read 196,639 times
I completed this memoir last week. Not overflowing with gossip but worthwhile.

I started this collection of essays over the weekend.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:44 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
A Little Life by Hanya Yanaginara. I am furious with this book for exhausting and emptying me. Every time I think about it I feel my heart ache. Ugh.

Old 03-29-2021, 10:08 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times
I just finished The Rastafarians by Leonard S. Barrett Sr. (link).

I bought The Rastafarians on my 1991 honeymoon, from the same bookstore that sold me a unique item, a tape by Alpha Blondy, that recorded a reggae song in Hebrew. The book sat on my shelf or in tennis bags for almost 30 years. It is absolutely fascinating. The doctrine was quite foreign and novel to me. I had to overlook much political and religious commentary with which I disagree strongly. I just finished it in a three-hour marathon, much of it to the tune of the reggae music of Bob Marley and Toots and the Maytals which the movement spawned. I will give this book a "five" out of "five" on Goodreads, for its novelty and its ability to draw me in.

Old 03-30-2021, 06:38 AM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books