Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 04:41 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texabama View Post
Well, when a very high percentage of people in this forum say they have experienced lots of rudeness here, I'd say there's something to it.

If you were to search all of City-Data forums, you would not come close to the length of the "rude topic" threads like you do here.

I say the label is fairly accurate.

Ever noticed people who are not satisfied with something, are the ones who usually voice their opinions more than the ones that are content?

That could also be the reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 07:39 PM

782 posts, read 1,086,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Ever noticed people who are not satisfied with something, are the ones who usually voice their opinions more than the ones that are content?

That could also be the reason.
Yes, there's a lot of truth to what you say. But, it still doesn't explain why the threads are much, much longer here for said topic.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:24 PM

23,540 posts, read 18,687,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texabama View Post
Well, when a very high percentage of people in this forum say they have experienced lots of rudeness here, I'd say there's something to it.

If you were to search all of City-Data forums, you would not come close to the length of the "rude topic" threads like you do here.

I say the label is fairly accurate.
Have you searched through ALL City-Data forums?

Good grief, I though I had no life.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:52 PM

23,540 posts, read 18,687,760 times
Honestly; while we may be a little blunt and to the point, I haven't been to a city that I've found any less rude than here. I think a lot may depend on your attitude. If you are guilty of any of the following:

1. stupidity
2. selfishness (lot's of people here, can't take more than our share of sidewalk space nor time in the Dunkin Donuts line)
3. laziness
4. carrying around an elitist/condescending attitude
5. slowness
6. "Oh well where I'm from we..." and "you people talk funny" (as if you don't have an accent too)
7. not staying in your lane on Storrow Drive (yes it's a crazy road, if you can't handle it pull off and either find an alternate route or walk.)
8. wearing certain sports team's clothing
9. thin skinned
10. no sense of humor

then yes you may very well encounter rudeness. Sorry to put it like that, but you know who you are. Please keep the negative comments on the "Boston is so rude" threads, that's what they're there for. I think that it's refreshing that occasionally amongst all the negative, someone posts something uplifting such as this (especially as a newcomer).

Otherwise feel free to leave at any time, and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:46 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,973 times
I have been to many many cities thruout the US. And yes to Boston have family who live there, R.I. NEW YORK, AND NEW JERSEY. Been all over the E.C. look for the most part if find the polite people outweigh the rude. I find very sweet polite people in many cities, even in the South, and even in the West. People are who they are, and no one will change them. For the most part, i have encountered a few rude people in Boston, but also in my State of Calif, my Birplace of R.I. in the South, and in the West. And in N.Y. some just don't have time for you they are a busy bunch. I like the fact that the nice polite people outweigh the rude by far. But in every city i have been to, too many to mention, yes of course there are rude people and also in Boston, but there are more sweet, sincere polite people as well. I just feel today, people are not as trusting as they once were.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:10 PM

25 posts, read 57,007 times
Having recently moved to Boston after living all over the US, Europe and after a decade in the southern parts of the US, I have found Bostonians no ruder than anywhere else.

Are they less likely to be chatty? Yes, because the pace of life here is much faster than many other areas of the country. But outfight rude? I've yet to meet anyone here that has been less than cordial to myself or my husband.

The humor is different, the pace is a bit more hectic, and the population is far denser than in many places (save for NY or San Fran), but you really do get what you put out there with people, and Boston is no different.

You are far more likely to see what you are expecting as well, so though I was warned about the horribly mean people of the region before moving here...I came with an open mind and a respect for a city that is unique and has a lot to offer.

And...sometimes people just like to whine about things when they've had a hard day, so why not start a new thread and vent a little frustration about how mean people are?

Old 08-20-2011, 11:59 PM

97 posts, read 210,595 times
Rudeness. Wow, I guess I don't even know what that means!

Maybe that means I'm a true product of my environment here in MA, because I'm completely oblivious to people and how they treat me, unless it's very unusual - that is, unusually nice or unusually mean. I typically treat people how they treat me: we hold doors for each other, say please and thank you, smile, let each other in and out of car lanes when we signal, etc. You know, normal behavior.

I've lived in other places around the country, and I just don't get what the big difference is, or what it is that people are looking for that they're not getting here. I've never lived in the south though, so maybe that's where you get people who are especially friendly. Although it's true, if I was walking somewhere and someone yelled Hello from across the street, I'd wonder what they heck they wanted from me! LOL

Other than that, I get very confused when I see these threads!

Old 08-24-2011, 06:25 AM

132 posts, read 495,929 times
Bostonians are polite, they're just not friendly. There's a big difference.

See this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...opulation.html

Old 08-24-2011, 07:10 AM

244 posts, read 572,939 times
I've visited Boston a few times and we may be moving there for my husband's new job next year. When we went up in the spring, the only complaint I had was the drivers on the highway and the number of times side street drivers used their horns when people didn't accelerate from at STOP sign fast enough (similar to NYC so didn't bother me). The biggest driving issue to get used to was how no one yields coming off entrance ramp onto the highway. Here in MD, and I'm fairly sure it's a national law, the entrance ramp driver yields to the highway traffic not vice versa. So, me slowing down to let people in while I was on the highway was disconcerting, as was that shoulder travel lane!
As for rude people themselves?? I have a story: when we were at the battlefields, it was very windy and my car door apparently hit the van next to me. I didn't know it and suddenly there was a knock on my window. The guy was ranting about me hitting his car and asked if I make it a habit of opening my doors into other people's cars. I was dumbfounded, never having been approached and so rudely to boot. I told him I was sorry, I didn't see any marks and he said he didn't care. Finally, I said thank you and rolled up my window and pulled away to him still angry. Living outside of DC I have never been approached like that; it could've been he had a bad day and took it out on me or whatever, but there are more polite ways of going about telling someone they hit your car with their door.
I think when people run into the one person who acts like that, attacks YOU instead of your door or whatever, it gives them a negative image of a place. Everywhere else I went, people were pleasant and remembered their manners.
I'm also a believer, and teach my children, that you'll get more of what you want if you are nice and polite, even in the face of rudeness (there are extenuating circumstances thought).

So, there's my two cents. Won't stop us from moving to a suburb of Boston though!

Old 08-25-2011, 09:26 AM

97 posts, read 210,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heather3 View Post
As for rude people themselves?? I have a story: when we were at the battlefields, it was very windy and my car door apparently hit the van next to me. I didn't know it and suddenly there was a knock on my window. The guy was ranting about me hitting his car and asked if I make it a habit of opening my doors into other people's cars. I was dumbfounded, never having been approached and so rudely to boot. I told him I was sorry, I didn't see any marks and he said he didn't care. Finally, I said thank you and rolled up my window and pulled away to him still angry. Living outside of DC I have never been approached like that; it could've been he had a bad day and took it out on me or whatever, but there are more polite ways of going about telling someone they hit your car with their door.
I don't know, I kinda think that's a story that could have happened anywhere, not just in MA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston