Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 04:35 PM

51 posts, read 144,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Why use a Nazi comparison? You must admit, the emotional context of the word "nazi" goes further than just raising words like "defensive." I don't know about you, but when I hear "Nazi" I think "holocaust."
Your probably right. I just felt it was an affective example to show how people are able to live a blind existence without realizing that they are doing something wrong. I probably should have used a different analogy.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 04:43 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,515,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratherbefishing View Post

If you live in Boston and you don't think the majority of the people living here are rude, IT'S BECAUSE YOUR ONE OF THEM. You don't see it because you were raised in a rude culture with other rude people and think it is normal or you're just blind.
Rudeness to one person is being reserved to another. In my world, it is rude that you say we think it is normal to be rude and are just blind.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:49 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,515,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
What ethnicity are you?

My family is brownish South American and they lived in Brookline since the mid-70s. None of them have experienced that level of racism. My aunt who was a teacher in Brookline says she never once experienced racism. My mother who worked in an office in Newton experienced some mild racism but nothing that made a huge impression on her.

A friend from South America lived with us for several years. Indian ancestry. Dark brown skin. He would laugh at this story that the poster wrote saying it is bogus. I think it is bogus, too. I am NOT saying black and Hispanic men (especially) don't get stopped (profiling) unfairly quite a lot, but the story this man gives is too blatant and I flat out don't believe that the cop told him not to walk the streets! It was probably something else. For all I know, the cop said to him, "Be careful for your own sake: Some people don't understand that you are simply a normal person walking down their "white" neighborhood." It could have been a friendly heads up, because there ARE always people who are awfully stupid and racist and will call the cops for no reason. But I don't believe his version of the story.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Rudeness to one person is being reserved to another. In my world, it is rude that you say we think it is normal to be rude and are just blind.
I am not try to attack you, I don't know what kind of person you are. I am attacking the culture in NE as a whole. You would not be wrong in saying that I am being rude. However, I feel it's justified because I can't stand rude people. It's ironic; I know.

If you were to meet me outside of NE, I am the nicest, most friendly person you will ever meet. I will be the first person to stop if you car needs a jump. I'll be the first person to ask you how your day is going. I always hold the door open for everyone. However, when in Boston, I don't do anyone any favors. Why would I? When I am nice to people here they give you a strange look. When in Rome I guess. Environment is everything.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:53 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
The people here are so rude that I can not even find the right word to describe how I feel. I am a very friendly and outgoing person and I have always felt out of place here. MA has a very insular culture that is hostile towards outsiders and strangers. People in this state are very cliquey and immature. It is kind of like people never mature past grade school.

Also, the snobbery is out of control. People in this area are very uptight, overly competitive, and arrogant which all stems from bad weather, overcrowding, culture, and insecurity. It's like everyone here has something to prove all of the time.

People in MA love to start stupid fistfights. When I was growing up, if it was a slow Saturday night, guys would go around just looking to kick someone's ass for fun. I grew up in an upscale neighbourhood.

If you are thinking about moving here, think again. Unless you are an uptight snob or an obnoxious person you will not like the people here.
Here we go again with those gross and offensive generalizations

I grew up in MA as well.

I've never been in a fistfight nor do I know anyone who has been in a fistfight.

I guess I can sometmes be agressive and competitive, but that doen't mean I'm a snob.

I like to prove things and argue and make statements. Otherwise I'll just go through life like a sheep. Without an opinion, being led by the desires and observations of others. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm rude or obnoxious.

(yawn) I'm not insular, cliquey, immature, or unfriendly. I'm not hostile towards strangers. I'm not outgoing, but that's just me.

If you don't like MA, that's fine, just leave.

But don't start talking feces about those of us who do like MA. And if you are going to trash talk, then the least you could at least avoid generalizations and be specific.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
If you live in Boston and you don't think the majority of the people living here are rude, IT'S BECAUSE YOUR ONE OF THEM. You don't see it because you were raised in a rude culture with other rude people and think it is normal or you're just blind.
Oh wait. I just saw this...

And laughed a little.

Looks like I am rude, whatever shall I do!

And reading through the rest of the comments I just wanted to say: I'm neither a ruffian nor a member of a country club.

I've have never and would never never spit on a yankee fan.

I don't say hi to people, or smile for no reason, or ask strangers silly questions like "how their day is going", though I do hold the door for people.

This is the way I am and I am, in fact, a Bostonian.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Oh wait. I just saw this...

And laughed a little.

Looks like I am rude, whatever shall I do!

And reading through the rest of the comments I just wanted to say: I'm neither a ruffian nor a member of a country club.

I've have never and would never never spit on a yankee fan.

I don't say hi to people, or smile for no reason, or ask strangers silly questions like "how their day is going", though I do hold the door for people.

This is the way I am and I am, in fact, a Bostonian.
Clearly every person is different; however, you are really just reinforcing my argument. A defence mechanisms is when a person's mind either consciously or unconsciously protects their identity. You read through this and found a few things that weren't true about yourself and discredited the whole thing. Denial.

From what you stated it seems like you are an aggressive and rude person and that you are proud of it. You confuse being rude with being headstrong/confident. You can be confident without being rude. It also seems like you confuse being cordial with being strange or weak. Why would a person say hello to a stranger? I don't get it.... That to me is the strange thing about New Englanders.

Last edited by Ratherbefishing; 03-05-2013 at 07:09 PM..

Old 03-05-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Clearly every person is different; however, you are really just reinforcing my argument. A defence mechanisms is when a person's mind either consciously or unconsciously protects their identity. You read through this and found a few things that weren't true and discredited the whole thing. Denial.

From what you stated it seems like you are an aggressive and rude person and that you are proud of it. You confuse being rude with being headstrong/confident. You can be confident without being rude. It also seems like you confuse being cordial with being strange or weak. Why would a person (not?) say hello to a stranger? I don't get it.... That to me is the strange thing about New Englanders.
And what's wrong with defending your identity? And if you read what I said, I didn't deny everything. Some of the things you said are true about me, but some are redicuous (fistfights evey Saturday what?)

To me someone is rude when they don't take into consideration the feelings of others, they behave in a way that is aggressive towards others, and they act in a rediculous and uncalled for fashion. To make things more offical, merriam-webster defines it as "lacking refinement or delicacy"or "offensive in manner or action."

To me this describes your origional post and subsequent add ons in which you made some really crazy generalizations, such as "fist fights"and "spitting on yankee fans"were common aspects of Bostonian culture and that all Bostonians were insular and immature snobs. This to me is rude and immature.

In response I aggressively "defended my identity" against your onslaught of negative accusations. This is more confidence than rudeness, its not really confidence either. It's mainly just a desire to defend myself and stand my ground against a rude lineup of false generalizations.

As for your comment about cordial vs weak, I never said anything about freindliness being equivalent to weakness. On the contrary just saying that that was one of your accusations that I also find true. I think that in general asking random people "how there day is going" isn't part of the culture here, it just isn't a commo thing for people to do. Though in hindsight, maybe I did come off as a little abrasive there. I just don't like it when people make tons of negative generalizations like you did. There were a couple in the "Diary of A Mad Black Woman" thread, but you made a ton.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:41 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
I have to agree with the OP. MA is a terrible place to live. I was born and raised in Boston and I hate it here. The people here are so rude that I can not even find the right word to describe how I feel. I am a very friendly and outgoing person and I have always felt out of place here. MA has a very insular culture that is hostile towards outsiders and strangers. People in this state are very cliquey and immature. It is kind of like people never mature past grade school.

Also, the snobbery is out of control. People in this area are very uptight, overly competitive, and arrogant which all stems from bad weather, overcrowding, culture, and insecurity. It's like everyone here has something to prove all of the time.

People in MA love to start stupid fistfights. When I was growing up, if it was a slow Saturday night, guys would go around just looking to kick someone's ass for fun. I grew up in an upscale neighbourhood.

If you are thinking about moving here, think again. Unless you are an uptight snob or an obnoxious person you will not like the people here.

Btw, I've lived all over this country. I don't think this about everyone who lives here just the majority.
Where have you lived besides MA and for how long? Where is the grass greener? How (roughly) old are you? Not attacking you or anything, just trying to get a better idea of your perspective.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:34 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
I have to agree with the OP. MA is a terrible place to live. I was born and raised in Boston and I hate it here. The people here are so rude that I can not even find the right word to describe how I feel. I am a very friendly and outgoing person and I have always felt out of place here. MA has a very insular culture that is hostile towards outsiders and strangers. People in this state are very cliquey and immature. It is kind of like people never mature past grade school.

Btw, I've lived all over this country. I don't think this about everyone who lives here just the majority.
I've had a lot of guy friends over the years, and none of them were prone to fistfights. What upscale neighborhood did you come from?

And I don't understand why you would live here in Boston now, given that you've "lived all over this country".... why on earth would you return here if you hate the majority of the people so much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston