Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 12:02 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
I can't imagine anyone would disagree with this.

I think if you're going to move to Boston, you need to be a very independent person. Borderline loner. You'll see no welcome wagons here.

I don't disagree with it, for certain. Last thing I want to do is to have to keep declining dinner party invites though, ugh, how I hated those...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 12:33 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,113,588 times
Apparently timberline and I were cut from the same yankee cloth.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:19 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimashan View Post
They don't recycle, it hard to get good organic foods without tracing on these terrible roads with these rude people.
Nobody even recycles!?!? Lord have mercy!!!!

Yeah, you should probably head back to Portlandia...

*But in all seriousness, I'm sorry it didn't work out...*

Old 04-03-2014, 06:34 AM

32 posts, read 51,309 times
I'm sorry I should not generalize, I am sure there are many in the state and in Boston that are into the environment and who do recycle. I'm just saying that where I am currently living it very sad for me. They use styrofoam for take out, plastic at the grocery store, there is dog **** along the walks on the beach, and garbage on the beach with not a garbage can or Baggie dispenser for those people who don't being bags for their dog ****! I order door to door organic just to have access. All I am saying it's just not as accessible for me as it was. And yes I laugh at Portlandia, I call it a documentary....not a comedy series. Because much of it is in truth...I do ask where my beef came from, and I want to know these things. I am also not a native to Oregon I am a native to NY.

After all the blah blah blah aside, I apologize if I offended, not intended. Just feeling a little out of sorts and want to go "home"

Old 04-03-2014, 07:05 AM

Where do you actually live? It doesn't sound like Boston, at least not any area I'm familiar with.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:08 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I feel like everyone I know in Boston is miserable or fighting depression symptoms. It was the complete opposite of Miami. I hope to move to the South one day..a nice decent city near the coast with a decent economy.
I think people prone to depression would have a hard time in Boston or in the northeast at all. Those are the ones who flee. Seasonal Affective Disorder comes into play as well. I think people who are good living in a place like Boston do not tend toward depression. I feel good when it's cold, and cloudy and looking at old brick buildings that some people find depressing and I find charming and historical. Not that spring and fall are a problem. Love a dark, dank basement pub and locals. Places like Miami make me feel overwhelmed, or where the pace is too slow, or the sun too bright, or people being fake friendly, etc. Dry, sarcastic humor is by far the best humor, IMO.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:18 AM

151 posts, read 126,845 times
Just thought I'd weigh in for the benefit of people who are thinking of relocating. From my personal experience, you really have to be in the right situation to move to Boston and click with the city. Otherwise, you'll find yourself counting the days until you get out, as I am. I'm not saying it was a mistake to come here, and there are plenty of nice things about the city and the area. But I'll be much happier going back to Florida, and I can't wait until my lease is up and I can move away.

If you don't already have a social network here, the trick is to come to Boston in a situation where you're with a lot of other new people who are also looking to make friends. I'm sure the vast majority of the people who moved up here for college love it for that reason. There are probably some work environments that are extremely transplant-friendly, though I don't know how you would gauge that ahead of time. But for me, moving here when I was already out of school, and ending up in a small office with people who aren't my age, it's been absolutely brutal.

This BostInno post pretty much sums up my feelings about making friends here. Many of the comments agree as well, so it's quite a common sentiment. http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2012/0...oston-so-hard/

Even if you do put in a bit of effort, people just seem very set in their circles of friends. I can't say that's been the case anywhere else I've been. NYC, like Boston, is often thought of as unfriendly. But because there are so many people from elsewhere, the average person seems more apt to chat. Even wearing a Red Sox hat at Yankee Stadium, I found the fans around me really good-natured and fun. Seriously!

The way I've described Boston to people is that for a city, it seems like a very small place. That's great when you want to walk around. But in terms of meeting people, when you move here by yourself, it feels like you're the one outsider in a town of 200 people who go to school, work, and church together. I've made one really good friend in my five years here, also a transplant from South Florida, and we are both moving away within the next year. (I actually was supposed to move to NYC three years ago, but the job I was going to have there fell through, and then I burned through my moving money before finding a new one here. So I've been trying to get out for quite some time.)

Again, I'm sure that in the right situation, this can be a great place to move to. However, many people thinking of moving here are probably not in "the right situation." Maybe if you move with the right frame of mind, you'd be more able to cope.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandedx02 View Post
This BostInno post pretty much sums up my feelings about making friends here. Many of the comments agree as well, so it's quite a common sentiment. http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2012/0...oston-so-hard/

While I understand your post, and agree with much of it, this person in this link is going to have trouble everywhere. They have no one to blame but themselves. Doesn't want to join a club, a league, do online dating, really anything to meet people but approach a lady at a bar, give them their number and hope they call. That's pathetic.

I didn't go to school here, I actually didn't live here as an adult until I was 30, but I didn't make excuses why I shouldn't do things and then complain about the results.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:26 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strandedx02 View Post
There are probably some work environments that are extremely transplant-friendly, though I don't know how you would gauge that ahead of time.
I find the ones that have an entrepreneurial culture are more transplant-friendly and have more transplants. The more rank and file companies are more filled with everyone's friends and cousins and harder for outsiders.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:09 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
I have lived all over New England and some problems we had at work and personally with some transplants were boundary issues, passive aggressiveness and just intrusiveness. One person we flew in for an interview from the Midwest asked outright where all the white people live. Sometimes people are overly chatty, ask too many personal questions too soon and tell us what is wrong with us (New Englanders). Then they want to be best buddies, but it doesn't seem authentic.

Because so many people don't mesh with our stereotypical characteristics, why should we make efforts only to get bashed by someone from somewhere they think is better.

I suspect the people who can't make friends with natives would not like them as friends anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston