Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2022, 01:19 PM

12,174 posts, read 8,046,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Isnt this pretty much the standard guineas? I don't want to do whataboutism but Boston really is the least of this I've seen in any major metro- by a lot too. I haven't been to Seattle but...yea. As btownboss said voting record would support what I'm saying.

Also, i need white people (idk if you're white, but white people do this) to stop conflating politics and political parties with racism. White people do this all the time and it annoys black people to know end. Every balck person knows Democrats and Republicans are both racists.
Yeah go to middlesex, somserset or morris counties. Or anywhere on Long Island and its LGB and Trump 2020 flgs everywhere.

Boston has the least amount of the alabama stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2022, 01:34 PM

21,694 posts, read 12,825,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah go to middlesex, somserset or morris counties. Or anywhere on Long Island and its LGB and Trump 2020 flgs everywhere.

Boston has the least amount of the alabama stuff
Yea I agree tbh. I dont want whataboutism but in this case, it feels legit.

I see Trump in Confederate Flags in the Brooklyn neighborhood of Baltimore City. And let's go Brandon stuff literally on gas pumps and in lawns 30 seconds over the city border. I could give youspecific streets and names.

I see flyers all over the city mocking Mayor Scott, and Nick Mosby (black pols)they've got clown noses on or are called "missing". SO if were taking rank political rancor/racist policies s that is not Boston's particular issue. And it definitely has particular issues.

Old 07-17-2022, 02:15 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,581,569 times
i am also bewildered when african-americans in other citys claim that boston has a monopoly on racism. i think its a crutch to protect caucasion guilt. philadelphia 76ers fan throws popcorn on russell westbrook in the tunnel at halftime (but at least we're not racist like those bostonians); or, lebron james has his l.a. house spraypainted with ****** (but at least we're not racist like those bostonians); or, dylan roof mass-murders a church full of black clergy members (but at least we're not racist like those bostonians); or, ...

Old 07-17-2022, 07:33 PM

106 posts, read 60,892 times
Boston has way too many obnoxious white racist liberals. The kind of people that tell you they support BLM but wouldn’t let their daughter date a black man or make eye contact with you. Just blatant hypocrisy all over.

Old 07-17-2022, 07:47 PM

9,915 posts, read 6,628,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowery View Post
Boston has way too many obnoxious white racist liberals. The kind of people that tell you they support BLM but wouldn’t let their daughter date a black man or make eye contact with you. Just blatant hypocrisy all over.
You just described reddit lol

Old 07-17-2022, 07:54 PM

106 posts, read 60,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Drive a few minutes outside of Boston into the South Shore and it's full of "Let's Go Brandon" signs, thin blue line flags. You would think you're in Alabama. Just went back this past week to visit family and was very surprised by this.

I think the typical 6th generation white guy in New England definitely feels some sense of ownership and entitlement to the land. Minorities are okay and virtue signals tolerance (we're not the South) up to the point that they actually threaten the politics and makeup of power. It's a bit like being Asian (Indian) in the United Kingdom. Deep down Britain will always be for the Anglo-Saxons, and you're their guest. Those colonial houses on Main Streets across New England will make sure you remember who founded this country and who is the true Spirit of America.

Many people in New England always think the region is some kind of liberal haven and morality but it's still filled with hateful people. Boston's racism is elevated by New England's perception of itself as a bastion of progressive values. Lots of denial surrounding it.

Old 07-18-2022, 09:09 AM

If you're not interested in dating a white woman or making eye contact with strangers. Is this obnoxious racism? Boston fan behavior is obnoxious but what you just described is definitely not.

The idea that racism is elevated or worsened by having progressive politics/values elsewhere doesn't make sense to me. There are a lot of cranky/mean/parochial people here. And some know it all liberals. Unfortunately that's pretty common. I had one outwardly racist confrontation with some Eastern European immigrants in Quincy MA but outside of that, nothing else.

Old 07-18-2022, 02:46 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,125,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i am also bewildered when african-americans in other citys claim that boston has a monopoly on racism. i think its a crutch to protect caucasion guilt. philadelphia 76ers fan throws popcorn on russell westbrook in the tunnel at halftime (but at least we're not racist like those bostonians); or, lebron james has his l.a. house spraypainted with ****** (but at least we're not racist like those bostonians); or, dylan roof mass-murders a church full of black clergy members (but at least we're not racist like those bostonians); or, ...
Since you dragged Philadelphia into this...

I think the reason Bostonians are overtly racist is because

1: They were always on top until the 90's. Boston was 14% black in 1970 while Philadelphia was 38%. They didn't fear any repercussions or retaliation for their BS for a large period of their lives.

2: Majority of the black population isn't African American. Calling a Haitian or Cape Verdean the N word doesn't have the same effect on a Black American.

3. Black Philadelphians are more aggressive and hostile (which works out in this instance). [*The Proud Boys tried to hold a rally in Center City back in 2020 and were chased out by black people]

The racist here know their place and adapted. Instead of explicitly saying racial slurs or threatening people, they go online and leave prejudice comments from the safety of their homes or parade around the Columbus statue.

Old 07-18-2022, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Since you dragged Philadelphia into this...

I think the reason Bostonians are overtly racist is because

1: They were always on top until the 90's. Boston was 14% black in 1970 while Philadelphia was 38%. They didn't fear any repercussions or retaliation for their BS for a large period of their lives.

2: Majority of the black population isn't African American. Calling a Haitian or Cape Verdean the N word doesn't have the same effect on a Black American.

3. Black Philadelphians are more aggressive and hostile (which works out in this instance). [*The Proud Boys tried to hold a rally in Center City back in 2020 and were chased out by black people]

The racist here know their place and adapted. Instead of explicitly saying racial slurs or threatening people, they go online and leave prejudice comments from the safety of their homes or parade around the Columbus statue.
A few holes in this theory:

-White people were the majority of Philadelphia in the 1990 census.

-Boston was 16% Black in 1970, higher than San Francisco and tied with LA.

-In 1970 and 1980 the vast majority of Blacks in Boston were definitely African American.

-The racism you describe is the majority of racism you see in Boston in the comment section of the Herald or the Globe. This is pretty much any comment section not just Philadelphia or Boston its prevalent on NYPost or Baltimore Brew comment section or Facebook comment section for the Baltimore Sun. The last instance we've heard of explicit racism used at a Boston sporting event was in 2017, even Lebron in describing racism from Celtics didn't actually mention anything involving his race. Overt racism in the city is the domain of homeless/drug-addicted people.

I think LeBron is really saying it is easier for white fans in Boston to be disrespectful and belligerent toward black athletes, which I think is true. The already belligerent fans just feel that much more emboldened when it's a black athlete.

Old 07-18-2022, 03:25 PM

40 posts, read 27,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Lebron just called Boston Celtics fans racist. I must say BostonBorn is on to something. I’m surprised this trend has lasted this long.

https://nypost.com/2022/07/15/lebron...ist-as-fk/amp/

Lebron is a minority owner of the Boston Red Sox, an organization whose fan base is made up of Celtics fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston