Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2022, 05:09 PM

21,794 posts, read 12,954,959 times

Advertisements

“Hating on Beantown is a given for most self-respecting Black folks. It’s the default setting for consciousness unless you were born in that region and can’t activate the manual override. The mistreatment of Black athletes there is legendary, a “flea market of racism.” Even those who play for the home team are excused when they confuse Boston with Birmingham. Where else have we seen a flag used like a spear?“

Mass. lawmakers approve Negro Election Day as state holiday honoring centuries of self-governance by Black Americans: https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/07/...ack-americans/

LeBron is right in that that a lot of fans say “whatever” it takes and often in appropriate things which in a vacuum you can’t call racist. You basically have to fully lean into the history/rep of Boston to say having a beer thrown on you once over 17 seasons or having people sat “f Lebron” is racist. I won’t admonish him for that, he’s not the first athlete to ale the claim. But I think it’s certainly has to do with Boston sports culture- because this mainly comes from athletes. But you know folks really are raised to believe Boston is particularly racist so the ignorant behavior confirms that without being explicitly racist. But it’s definitely considered cool or in the know because Boston was minding its business just now.

Lotta people probably most people in Boston don’t really appreciate being painted with a broad brush. That’s taken as more racism rejection, but if Bostonians acknowledge racism that’s seen as proof of more racism. There’s really know when it lose and nothing is being gained from these conversations. Economically, safety wise and even politically Boston really does well. I think Bostonians are asked to ignore that and account for racist history every couple weka. It’s grating because nothing will change from a national perspective. There’s no shortage of anti-racist work or black groups or coalitions or whatever so realistically what else can the individual do at this point?

I always say the biggest racial issue is the sense of ownership or entitlement offer Boston that white people in Massachusetts feel. And a reputation that can attracts bad actors (Ted Landsmark even said very recently that the reputation attracts “outside agitators”, and he was a clear victim of racism in Boston in 1976) and repels POC when there really is significant economic/cultural opportunity for them there

People outside of Boston are WAY moreconcerned with racism than the actual black population of Boston lol. Like… this isn’t a conversation we have amongst ourselves with any regularity lol…this is what we be up to https://www.instagram.com/tv/CgFt4AO...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Itw prolly only ever been 3 or 4 times where I’ve been chilling with fam or friends and just had a conversation about racism in Boston and brats usually just in response to what’s going on in the media . Idk take that for what you will:

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 07-16-2022 at 05:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2022, 08:26 AM

14,089 posts, read 15,118,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
“Hating on Beantown is a given for most self-respecting Black folks. It’s the default setting for consciousness unless you were born in that region and can’t activate the manual override. The mistreatment of Black athletes there is legendary, a “flea market of racism.” Even those who play for the home team are excused when they confuse Boston with Birmingham. Where else have we seen a flag used like a spear?“

Mass. lawmakers approve Negro Election Day as state holiday honoring centuries of self-governance by Black Americans: https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/07/...ack-americans/

LeBron is right in that that a lot of fans say “whatever” it takes and often in appropriate things which in a vacuum you can’t call racist. You basically have to fully lean into the history/rep of Boston to say having a beer thrown on you once over 17 seasons or having people sat “f Lebron” is racist. I won’t admonish him for that, he’s not the first athlete to ale the claim. But I think it’s certainly has to do with Boston sports culture- because this mainly comes from athletes. But you know folks really are raised to believe Boston is particularly racist so the ignorant behavior confirms that without being explicitly racist. But it’s definitely considered cool or in the know because Boston was minding its business just now.

Lotta people probably most people in Boston don’t really appreciate being painted with a broad brush. That’s taken as more racism rejection, but if Bostonians acknowledge racism that’s seen as proof of more racism. There’s really know when it lose and nothing is being gained from these conversations. Economically, safety wise and even politically Boston really does well. I think Bostonians are asked to ignore that and account for racist history every couple weka. It’s grating because nothing will change from a national perspective. There’s no shortage of anti-racist work or black groups or coalitions or whatever so realistically what else can the individual do at this point?

I always say the biggest racial issue is the sense of ownership or entitlement offer Boston that white people in Massachusetts feel. And a reputation that can attracts bad actors (Ted Landsmark even said very recently that the reputation attracts “outside agitators”, and he was a clear victim of racism in Boston in 1976) and repels POC when there really is significant economic/cultural opportunity for them there

People outside of Boston are WAY moreconcerned with racism than the actual black population of Boston lol. Like… this isn’t a conversation we have amongst ourselves with any regularity lol…this is what we be up to https://www.instagram.com/tv/CgFt4AO...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Itw prolly only ever been 3 or 4 times where I’ve been chilling with fam or friends and just had a conversation about racism in Boston and brats usually just in response to what’s going on in the media . Idk take that for what you will:
I certainly think probably true Boston is particularly bad for verbal abuse (especially towards athletes) and if you’re an Athlete that’s probably all that matters do you.

I also kind of doubt any insistence on outside agitators because that’s usually just used to skirt around having to do some introspection. (Most famously used by local officials in the Jim Crow South)

But at the same time, I find something like this

https://www.ciceroindependiente.com/...racist-history

Very hard to imagine happening even in like West Roxbury or Dedham

Old 07-17-2022, 11:06 AM

[quote=btownboss4;63814122]I

I also kind of doubt any insistence on outside agitators because that’s usually just used to skirt around having to do some introspection. (Most famously used by local officials in the Jim Crow South)

{/QUOTE]

No, he's talking about white supremacist groups coming to New England. It's Teds Landmark saying this to the black man who was stabbed by that flag in 1976. It'sbeen confirmed by law enforcement officials in New England. With Vermont, in particular, serving as a base- several articles on it. The context of it wasn't about sports fans.

Id shy away from whataboutism in other cities. Whats somewhat unique to Boston is if in Boston, if someone pours a beer on Lebron once people are gonna lean into the history of Boston and equivalent that to racism rather than just poor behavior as they would if it happened in another city,

Old 07-17-2022, 11:07 AM

Quote:
https://thegrio.com/2022/06/02/yes-i...lame-nia-long/

Old 07-17-2022, 11:14 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,439,561 times
Drive a few minutes outside of Boston into the South Shore and it's full of "Let's Go Brandon" signs, thin blue line flags. You would think you're in Alabama. Just went back this past week to visit family and was very surprised by this.

I think the typical 6th generation white guy in New England definitely feels some sense of ownership and entitlement to the land. Minorities are okay and virtue signals tolerance (we're not the South) up to the point that they actually threaten the politics and makeup of power. It's a bit like being Asian (Indian) in the United Kingdom. Deep down Britain will always be for the Anglo-Saxons, and you're their guest. Those colonial houses on Main Streets across New England will make sure you remember who founded this country and who is the true Spirit of America.

Last edited by Guineas; 07-17-2022 at 11:26 AM..

Old 07-17-2022, 11:26 AM

10,017 posts, read 6,709,525 times
If you ever take a look at the Boston Cream donut, they separate the vanilla and chocolate. Truly a segregated donut. What a shame.

Old 07-17-2022, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Drive a few minutes outside of Boston into the South Shore and it's full of "Let's Go Brandon" signs, thin blue line flags. You would think you're in Alabama. Just went back this past week to visit family and was very surprised by this.

I think the typical 6th generation white guy in New England definitely feels some sense of ownership and entitlement to the land. Minorities are okay and virtue signals tolerance (we're not the South) up to the point that they actually threaten the politics and makeup of power. It's a bit like being Asian (Indian) in the United Kingdom. Deep down Britain will always be for the Anglo-Saxons, and you're their guest. Those colonial houses on Main Streets across New England will make sure you remember who founded this country and who is the true Spirit of America.
Suburban/Rural New England is by a pretty good margin the most liberal suburbs/rural areas in the country. Like Republicans exist but don’t dominate any town in the whole state

Old 07-17-2022, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Suburban/Rural New England is by a pretty good margin the most liberal suburbs/rural areas in the country. Like Republicans exist but don’t dominate any town in the whole state
Isnt this pretty much the standard guineas? I don't want to do whataboutism but Boston really is the least of this I've seen in any major metro- by a lot too. I haven't been to Seattle but...yea. As btownboss said voting record would support what I'm saying.

Also, i need white people (idk if you're white, but white people do this) to stop conflating politics and political parties with racism. White people do this all the time and it annoys black people to know end. Every balck person knows Democrats and Republicans are both racists.

Old 07-17-2022, 12:36 PM

10,017 posts, read 6,709,525 times
Quote:
Also, i need white people (idk if you're white, but white people do this) to stop conflating politics and political parties with racism. White people do this all the time and it annoys black people to know end. Every balck person knows Democrats and Republicans are both racists.
Agreed. Every time I hear these so called progressive whites go on trantrums about someone “being racist because they voted for blah blah” as if they’ve done anything better, I can’t help but cringe.

They’re only pulling that card out of their benefits that are unrelated to racial progress.

Old 07-17-2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Isnt this pretty much the standard guineas? I don't want to do whataboutism but Boston really is the least of this I've seen in any major metro- by a lot too. I haven't been to Seattle but...yea. As btownboss said voting record would support what I'm saying.

Yeah the whiter the population the lower the racial polarization. So lots of Racist democrats especially in whiter states. I was just replying because he was specifically calling Suburban Boston very Republican which isn’t true. (And what’s underrated is there is a lot of inter minority racial/ethic tension)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston