Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2023, 06:17 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
How bad is the T really? I mean relative to other comparable mass transit systems? A cursory dig shows it at or near the top in many categories.
Worse than CTA WMATA MTA. Ive ridden each multiple times. All obviously and easily better than the T. In more ways than one (faster, more modern payment method, cleaner, more expansive) take your pick. Each is at least two of these things in comparison to the T-errible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2023, 06:26 PM

851 posts, read 416,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Worse than CTA WMATA MTA. Ive ridden each multiple times. All obviously and easily better than the T. In more ways than one (faster, more modern payment method, cleaner, more expansive) take your pick. Each is at least two of these things in comparison to the T-errible.
Now we're getting somewhere. Russell or the Stilt?

Old 06-16-2023, 07:40 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Now we're getting somewhere. Russell or the Stilt?
Definitely Stilt. Gotta be honest.

Old 06-16-2023, 07:55 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Bottom line is they need to dramatically increase the size of the MBTA police. It's probably at a 3rd of what might be considered safe levels. And they need to make a serious effort of trespassing chronic troublemakers from T property.
That, and crack down on fare evaders. The T depends on farebox recovery for a significant chunk of its operating budget, but people sneak through fare gates left and right and people board surface level trolleys without tapping in at the front (modern trains should have readers at every door, but this is the T...). Having T Police board trains and walk through scanning cards and asking for receipts is not a heavy lift - they can print $100 or $200 tickets on the spot. If you've ever ridden MUNI Metro in San Francisco, you've probably seen them do this.

Quote:
How bad is the T really? I mean relative to other comparable mass transit systems? A cursory dig shows it at or near the top in many categories. My personal opinion has never been nearly as harsh as I'm seeing here, and I first started riding on the Green Line from Riverside to Fenway Park with my uncle in 1966. I loved that trolley ride.
Right now it's pretty bad. And the only reason the gap may not be bigger in some areas is because no major transit system in the U.S. is without its share of problems. But between slow zones, aging fleets (at least that's improving), 100+ year old infrastructure, etc. it's really frustrating to depend on the T for anything. It's embarrassing.

Old 06-16-2023, 08:08 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
That, and crack down on fare evaders. The T depends on farebox recovery for a significant chunk of its operating budget, but people sneak through fare gates left and right and people board surface level trolleys without tapping in at the front (modern trains should have readers at every door, but this is the T...). Having T Police board trains and walk through scanning cards and asking for receipts is not a heavy lift - they can print $100 or $200 tickets on the spot. If you've ever ridden MUNI Metro in San Francisco, you've probably seen them do this.

Definitely. I've seen plenty of people "piggyback" through the turnstiles right in front of employees who can't be bothered to even pretend to do their job.

Old 06-16-2023, 04:14 PM

6,805 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Highly skeptical that fare evasion is the root cause for ceiling fixtures falling onto people, but whatever. Believe what you want.

Old 06-17-2023, 09:33 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,114,518 times
Quote:
How bad is the T really? I mean relative to other comparable mass transit systems? A cursory dig shows it at or near the top in many categories. My personal opinion has never been nearly as harsh as I'm seeing here, and I first started riding on the Green Line from Riverside to Fenway Park with my uncle in 1966. I loved that trolley ride.
I ride the orange line 5 stops at the same time every day and I have to say it's pretty predictable and reliable. The 12 min gaps during rush hour are a little excessive but other than that I can't really complain.

Old 06-17-2023, 12:58 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Highly skeptical that fare evasion is the root cause for ceiling fixtures falling onto people, but whatever. Believe what you want.
Nobody said it was. But 39% of the MBTA’s operating budget is dependent on farebox recovery. So it’s obviously important that the T makes sure that people are paying fares. If we want fare-free service, or if we don’t think the T should be penalizing fare evaders, then the T funding structure needs an overhaul. One way or another, the status quo isn’t ideal.

Old 06-19-2023, 12:31 PM

851 posts, read 416,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Definitely Stilt. Gotta be honest.
Stilt, all day long!

Old 06-22-2023, 06:31 PM

1,185 posts, read 803,968 times
Looks like the new guy getting paid $300K + is not doing anything either. They need to clean house at the top. These are the people that have caused that systemic rot, chief of staff and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston