Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2023, 06:46 PM

5,094 posts, read 2,658,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgardian View Post
Looks like the new guy getting paid $300K + is not doing anything either. They need to clean house at the top. These are the people that have caused that systemic rot, chief of staff and all.
How do you know he's not doing anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2023, 09:34 PM

16,319 posts, read 8,150,917 times
Lol I forgot about that new guy. He's just enjoying his 300k. What the hell is he going to do.

Old 06-23-2023, 05:27 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgardian View Post
Looks like the new guy getting paid $300K + is not doing anything either. They need to clean house at the top. These are the people that have caused that systemic rot, chief of staff and all.
I’m not sure what you expected him to accomplish in under 3 months on the job, but that’s not a long time to fix decades of “systemic rot,” as you put it.

Old 06-23-2023, 08:05 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,116,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Lol I forgot about that new guy. He's just enjoying his 300k. What the hell is he going to do.
Right. He came in 3 months ago and you're perception is he's just chilling? He had a press release last night about cracking down on turnstile jumpers, which is the first i've heard in a long time due to racial disparity and how sensitive the climate has been. So he has at least already done more than Poftak.
We just discovered Maura Healy got some mysterious funding to streamline her election, just as Baker did. So I think the bottom line is that as long as corrupt politicians have their hands in the MBTA, then it will continue to rot. People don't want to see that. They want to blame managers etc.

Old 06-23-2023, 08:41 AM

16,319 posts, read 8,150,917 times
Calm down everyone. That's great, I'm glad he made an appearance and wants to crack down on T thieves. 3 months isn't a long time, but it's not really that short of a time either. I have a colleague that has been in our dept for about a month and he's already done quite a bit in making some process changes. I think there's also been quite a few people the MBTA brought in who they showcased as people who were going to make big changes and they didn't, so forgive those of us who are skeptical.

Old 06-23-2023, 08:45 AM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Calm down everyone. That's great, I'm glad he made an appearance and wants to crack down on T thieves. 3 months isn't a long time, but it's not really that short of a time either. I have a colleague that has been in our dept for about a month and he's already done quite a bit in making some process changes. I think there's also been quite a few people the MBTA brought in who they showcased as people who were going to make big changes and they didn't, so forgive those of us who are skeptical.

I believe you work for a non-profit? That's incomparable to a massive unionized, government authority with layers and layers of corruption, incest, nepotism and dysfunction going back decades. The skepticism is understandable, but the expectation that this is going to be turned around overnight is not a realistic one.

Old 06-23-2023, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Skepticism is reasonable considering the T's history. But what type of changes would you expect the T to make in 3 months?

Old 06-23-2023, 08:50 AM

9,080 posts, read 6,305,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Skepticism is reasonable considering the T's history. But what type of changes would you expect the T to make in 3 months?
As a quasi-government / government organization, I would say none.

Old 06-23-2023, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
As a quasi-government / government organization, I would say none.
Right. I'm not at all convinced that sweeping change is coming or that Phil Eng is the savior of the agency. But even if he was the savior and going to completely change everything about how it operates, I wouldn't expect anything tangible in 3 months. Considering the timeframe and the size of the agency, he's probably still learning some of the basics. Stopping fare evaders is low-hanging fruit and an easy early step for him. I'm happy he's prioritizing it, but it doesn't require a ton of detailed systemic knowledge to recognize the problem and solution doesn't require convoluted permitting or changes to century old infrastructure.

Old 06-25-2023, 05:44 AM

5,094 posts, read 2,658,571 times
Interesting analysis on current state of the T:
https://commonwealthmagazine.org/opi...-under-healey/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston