Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 05:21 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
With restrictions being lifted, i've voluntarily gone back into office 5 days a week. I'm only required to be there 2 days.

Even with traffic getting back to normal, theres something about being back in office that i find appealing vs home, alone, working remotely. Now, don't get me wrong, despite going back to the office (voluntarily) having the flexibility to stay home is great. 1 day here and there really helps with my mental health, but when i wake up in the AM, i really do look forward to grabbing my coffee, hopping in the car and heading to the office.

Ironically, i am WFH today
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
How does WFH (essentially) equate to a 'mental health day' here and there? Is your commute that long/stressful? Else, you appear to be suggesting (via the following comment/emoji) you're slightly less productive/more relaxed when you WFH i.e. in a forum about such.
Quote:
Your reaching, and way off. Try not to worry too much about other people lives. You’ll be much happier.
Say what, lol? It was a simple question relative to your post (and the thread); one which it would appear you don't have an answer to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2021, 08:38 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Say what, lol? It was a simple question relative to your post (and the thread); one which it would appear you don't have an answer to.
You answered it for me, suggesting that WFH = less productive. Again, you are incorrect. Have a nice day

Last edited by BostonMike7; 07-02-2021 at 08:50 AM..

Old 07-05-2021, 07:39 PM

Quote:
You answered it for me, suggesting that WFH = less productive. Again, you are incorrect. Have a nice day
Actually, my question was relative to your commute (if extremely difficult) or what, specifically, makes it feel as though it's a 'mental health day' (for you) when you WFH? I can't answer the question for you; but clearly, you don't want to answer the question for yourself - no problem.

Have a nice evening back at you.

Old 07-08-2021, 12:01 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,952,385 times
I'm in sales and spend a lot of time on the phone. Being in an office setting is extremely disruptive, I have to hear other people's convos and I don't speak as naturally when other people are around me listening to my calls. My commute would be 45 mins each way, I can deal with 1 day a week if it's for a reason, but otherwise I'm much more productive working from home or in a private office. Open floor plans are a joke.

If my job made it mandatory that I come back to work 5 days a week I'd start looking for another job, not just because I don't want to commute, but because I know I'd be more successful in my role working without a bunch of loud people around me.

Old 07-08-2021, 06:11 PM

Interesting to note it has taken a pandemic to (potentially) validate/make the technological concept of WFH stick; one reason being a diminished stigma as noted by Bloom, Barrero and Davis in a research working paper (Stanford).

Old 07-08-2021, 06:36 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Actually, my question was relative to your commute (if extremely difficult) or what, specifically, makes it feel as though it's a 'mental health day' (for you) when you WFH? I can't answer the question for you; but clearly, you don't want to answer the question for yourself - no problem.

Have a nice evening back at you.
For some the potential upsides can be fairly obvious why an occasional wfh day could be a mental break. No commute, no need to get up earlier for said commute, no need to get dressed up, no need to have BS conversations with folks you run into at the office etc. There’s plenty of reasons other than being less productive. On the productivity front I’ve seen most be less productive by the hour but more hours worked so on a net basis it doesn’t hurt business at least in my world. In that there’s a balance for people when they aren’t getting up and committing to work, working the same or slightly lesss hours factoring commuting and getting the same amount of work done

Old 07-08-2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
For some the potential upsides can be fairly obvious why an occasional wfh day could be a mental break. No commute, no need to get up earlier for said commute, no need to get dressed up, no need to have BS conversations with folks you run into at the office etc. There’s plenty of reasons other than being less productive. On the productivity front I’ve seen most be less productive by the hour but more hours worked so on a net basis it doesn’t hurt business at least in my world. In that there’s a balance for people when they aren’t getting up and committing to work, working the same or slightly lesss hours factoring commuting and getting the same amount of work done
It's not as if WFH is a new technology/concept. I am speaking to the (various) research working papers which have explored WFH pre and post-pandemic in-depth.

Quote:
Interesting to note it has taken a pandemic to (potentially) validate/make the technological concept of WFH stick; one reason being a diminished stigma as noted by Bloom, Barrero and Davis in a research working paper (Stanford).

Old 07-09-2021, 05:51 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,788,551 times
Quote:
Doesn't one need to get dressed anyway, lol? If you had a long commute, I get your frustration; but it's a big jump from dressing/working to 'a complete waste of time'.
I supposed 'dressed' in the sense that you have to put on something nice for your Zoom call (e.g. PJ pants with a dress shirt lol). I work remote permanently and I'm in a t-shirt and PJs most of the day.

I'm surprised that this even comes as a surprise to some people - I'm socially clueless and even I could have seen that there were going to be mass exoduses from companies refusing to actively adopt WFH, especially in industries like software. I'm glad WFH is becoming more mainstream - people who want to work in an office are free to choose office-based jobs and people who want to work remote can choose remote jobs. I still don't understand why the media's making such a big stink about this. I suppose they have to make a stink about SOMETHING to sell copy.

Old 07-09-2021, 07:30 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
It's not as if WFH is a new technology/concept. I am speaking to the (various) research working papers which have explored WFH pre and post-pandemic in-depth.
How is that relevant to my response and your questions to a single person about their current experience? You questioned said person’s commute and productivity. Those questions don’t have anything to do with pre/post pandemic but rather your line as to why one would think of it as a mental health day

Old 07-09-2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
I supposed 'dressed' in the sense that you have to put on something nice for your Zoom call (e.g. PJ pants with a dress shirt lol). I work remote permanently and I'm in a t-shirt and PJs most of the day.
My point was - even when I WFH, I put on a pair of pants with a shirt, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
I'm surprised that this even comes as a surprise to some people - I'm socially clueless and even I could have seen that there were going to be mass exoduses from companies refusing to actively adopt WFH, especially in industries like software.
Exactly why it's bizarre it took a pandemic to bring WFH into the forefront, as many companies have been implementing the technology (and employee feedback) for decades - yet it hadn't fully 'stuck', at least on a full-time basis for many (even when possible). Hence the reason I brought up the various working papers/studies which have addressed (specifically) why this is, which is an interesting discussion (highly) relevant to the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
How is that relevant to my response and your questions to a single person about their current experience? You questioned said person’s commute and productivity. Those questions don’t have anything to do with pre/post pandemic but rather your line as to why one would think of it as a mental health day
I questioned why BostonMike essentially equated a WFH day with 'a mental health day', as it is a term used for a scheduled day off. :-) That said, he couldn't answer directly; and I had moved on from that point. I didn't realize you were continuing that particular discussion for him, although my point is/was highly relevant to the success and longevity of WFH, as a whole - particularly considering many do prefer it, per the thread.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 07-09-2021 at 01:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business