Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2021, 07:44 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,572,770 times

Advertisements

I liked going into the office for a change of scenery and because the cafeteria was pretty good, but hated being around people. I have never understood why I have to say good morning to every joe and jane I run into when all I want is a cup of coffee.

I was lucky that most of the time I had the choice to be in the office or not depending on what was going on. I've been WFH for 5 years. Heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2021, 08:18 AM

8,725 posts, read 7,442,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
I don't "love" any investment. I am a technologist/futurist with roughly 50 years to go based on average life expectancy. Due that time horizon difference we will never see eye to eye on technology or its impact to our personal or professional lives.

25 years from now nobody is going to be mandated to show up in offices, as Boomers will be all dead or retired.
A lot of younger people are driving the "go to the office" thing, the same group driving all these other commune things like commune apartments and a social event for every little thing that happens in life. I have seen far more opposition to WFH from younger people than I do older folks.

WFH is battling people who think, desire, physical interaction no matter who it is with. While some people have this need to be among co-workers in an office, away from home, others like myself, I rather have a bullet in my head than to ever think I need to be around co-workers for my social needs. To hang your social needs on an entity that can fire you in a blink of an eye is crazy to me.

Old 06-08-2021, 08:20 AM

8,725 posts, read 7,442,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
I liked going into the office for a change of scenery and because the cafeteria was pretty good, but hated being around people. I have never understood why I have to say good morning to every joe and jane I run into when all I want is a cup of coffee.

I was lucky that most of the time I had the choice to be in the office or not depending on what was going on. I've been WFH for 5 years. Heaven.
I am self employed and WFH.

Never quite understood the concept of why go to the office, just to sit on a computer, and do the same thing you can do anywhere with a computer. In my last job, my manager was not even in the same state as me, and I would go weeks without even talking to anyone in person at work aside from the janitor. There was zero point on being in the office, or even the company leasing the space.

Old 06-08-2021, 09:41 AM

2,335 posts, read 1,049,332 times
Your view of WFH will depend based on your at home environment. For many NYers they have a less than ideal setup - children, extended family, roommates, construction noise, small cramped spaces, etc.

So, yes if I had a Connecticut suburban bungalow or upstate NY ranch to WFH from and faced a 2 hour commute each way then of course I would also be in favor of WFH. But if I lived in a cramped 5 story walkup across the street from a Con-ed construction site or in a 2 BR apt where they are doing scaffolding facade renovations with power drills and saws then I would be nuts to WFH.

Old 06-08-2021, 10:01 AM

19,103 posts, read 14,081,415 times
You'd be nuts to live like that.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-08-2021, 12:03 PM

2,335 posts, read 1,049,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You'd be nuts to live like that.
Some of us have no choice and are bound by financial constraints, family obligations, young ages, restrictive leases, etc. Would we love to move out? I think most would say, "YES!" But that is not always feasible.

Old 06-08-2021, 12:16 PM

5,901 posts, read 3,023,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
A lot of younger people are driving the "go to the office" thing, the same group driving all these other commune things like commune apartments and a social event for every little thing that happens in life. I have seen far more opposition to WFH from younger people than I do older folks.

WFH is battling people who think, desire, physical interaction no matter who it is with. While some people have this need to be among co-workers in an office, away from home, others like myself, I rather have a bullet in my head than to ever think I need to be around co-workers for my social needs. To hang your social needs on an entity that can fire you in a blink of an eye is crazy to me.
Hilarious

Old 06-08-2021, 12:51 PM

1,399 posts, read 896,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post

Wfh debate is a millenial (pro) vs boomer (anti) battle.

Old 06-08-2021, 12:52 PM

5,901 posts, read 3,023,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
Wfh debate is a millenial (pro) vs boomer (anti) battle.
IM Pro wfh and Im 42. What does that mean?

Old 06-08-2021, 01:20 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,630,207 times
Tbh, let people debate. The longer it takes to come to a decision, the more I can chill at home with the new status quo. I don't even want to think about the hot sweltering subway right now, it felt like 92F today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business