Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2021, 05:17 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,916,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
I sense too much reddit and twitter in your life. Reddit and Twitter doesn't represent the real world for the most part. People who spend too much time on Reddit and Twitter tend to get really angry when they encounter the real world where everyone doesn't cater to their every whim and kiss their ass.
Nope I'm simply perceptive with a wide array of professional experiences in multiple environments.

You just don't like any perspective that doesn't conform to your established world views...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2021, 05:18 PM

1,046 posts, read 473,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post

I am thankful the law industry rejected me early in my career- terrible work environment and culture.
Really depends on where you work. Big Law is awful but mid to small size firms are a whole different breed. Which isn't to say they're without their challenges but they are far less brutal and can often be quite rewarding.

I do plaintiff side employee law and we're a shop with about 100 people total. I know every single person's name and they know mine and that's how we like it, relatively small-ish in comparison to the huge firms, with 3 offices around the country. And every day we fight like hell for people to get their rightful compensation and protections. We all make a little less than we could if we went to a bigger firm (even the partners) but we understand why.

And I guarantee you those gig workers and restaurant workers, etc. are not going to respond to automated machines or overseas folks doing our jobs to represent them.

Old 06-06-2021, 05:32 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,385,341 times
I am so glad I cannot WFH. It's not that I love taking mass transit but my home is my work free zone. Unless I am doing actual work on my house. I don't take any work home with me ever and that is what I love about my job. Whenever I try to actually work on something (project, homework from when I was taking classes, etc.), I am unproductive.

My husband has been WFH since everyone else went WFH. He would like a hybrid schedule. He's over being home every single day.

Old 06-06-2021, 06:27 PM

1,034 posts, read 450,050 times
Quote:
Nope I'm simply perceptive with a wide array of professional experiences in multiple environments.

You just don't like any perspective that doesn't conform to your established world views...
I like all perspectives but judge each on their merits.

You're a WFH fundamentalist. It's like listening to the Taliban argue why their form of Islam is the best.

Old 06-06-2021, 09:17 PM

1,274 posts, read 982,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
What difference does it make if the person works from home or works from home overseas? The difference is the regulatory body that taxes employers from doing so. Do you know what VPN means?
Overseas, it will create an issue with something called "Permanent Establishment". It would basically create a corporate tax liability of your US company towards that foreign country. One of the reasons why I could not keep working remotely from overseas more than 9 months over the last 12.

Last edited by Gasolin; 06-06-2021 at 09:34 PM..

Old 06-07-2021, 02:45 AM

107,121 posts, read 109,450,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
I like all perspectives but judge each on their merits.

You're a WFH fundamentalist. It's like listening to the Taliban argue why their form of Islam is the best.
Or his love of crypto

Old 06-07-2021, 08:00 AM

6,699 posts, read 6,085,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
Overseas, it will create an issue with something called "Permanent Establishment". It would basically create a corporate tax liability of your US company towards that foreign country. One of the reasons why I could not keep working remotely from overseas more than 9 months over the last 12.
Exactly

Old 06-07-2021, 08:06 AM

6,699 posts, read 6,085,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
Yep. Single here and am asocial. I prefer doing things on my own and being by myself and not having to make small talk.

Single here as well, living alone and as introverted as they come. Before COVID, I had such a great schedule - it was hybrid: WFH three days a week and come in twice a week. I had it for a good five years. But now, I have to WFH all five days, which I don't like. First, I like to have a choice of whether to come in or not and whether I get to speak to people or not.

Second, I don't think WFH all five days a week is a smart idea for the reasons already outlined on this thread. WFH basically means, out of sight out of mind. Difficult to get promotions, get noticed, progress and for some - keep their jobs.

Old 06-08-2021, 06:52 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,916,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Or his love of crypto
I don't "love" any investment. I am a technologist/futurist with roughly 50 years to go based on average life expectancy. Due that time horizon difference we will never see eye to eye on technology or its impact to our personal or professional lives.

25 years from now nobody is going to be mandated to show up in offices, as Boomers will be all dead or retired.

Old 06-08-2021, 07:09 AM

5,771 posts, read 2,672,382 times
Quote:

25 years from now nobody is going to be mandated to show up in offices, as Boomers will be all dead or retired.
I will take that bet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business