Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2021, 10:56 AM

1,034 posts, read 450,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Dude's whole family did very well for themselves, which is awesome and I'm definitely not the one to ever fault successful people, but most of his posts don't apply to the typical forum poster even remotely.
That doesn't mean he's not right in this case.

A lot of employees are overestimating their value. Like everything in life, the 80/20 rule applies. If you're not part of the top 20%, management won't bend over backwards or look the other way to satisfy your needs. This applies to any company.

A lot of workers have realized just how good a deal they're getting via WFH (especially those that put in 2-3 hour days) so or course they're pushing back.

Most of that pushback is coming from the top tier where people are way overestimating their value. The sense of entitlement is large and has been built up over decades or having it just a bit too good. Just because someone makes $200K doesn't mean they're valuable. If they want scrutiny on their positions and for management to "evaluate", this is a good way to invite it.

Top tier employees will get whatever they want and management will accommodate their WFH requests. As for others? I have a hard time seeing that unless companies move to full time WFH and in turn streamline (aka cut headcount) to account for the "extra" time and convinience WFH employees receive. When that individual now has to absorb the work of 1-2 others who were laid off, WFH will suddenly lose its luster for most.

Will there be outliers who have their cake and eat it too? Of course.I'm not saying that WFH won't become the new normal for some. It will but it'll also come at a price.

A lot of the supposed "productivity" that has been maintained or "increased" was single handedly due to the feds dumping $5 trillion into the economy over the past year. Once the economic growth rate reverts to the mean, all of that supposed productivity will evaporate. That's what companies are afraid of.

Revenue at the company I work for was up nearly 40% YOY with higher margins to boot. Believe me, it wasn't due to more productivity company wide. A few were way more productive. Most were not .

We had business handed to us on a silver platter due to the circumstances and we're able to satisfy that demand. In other words, more luck than skill. Same goes for most other places.

Last edited by Bklynball; 06-06-2021 at 11:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2021, 11:05 AM

3,923 posts, read 9,151,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
All of that sounds like it's time for the city to re-strategize instead of clinging to the past. Same goes for other cities losing office-presence.
Exactly. When they made those COVID relief packages, part of it should've included funding for specific industries to help with relocation costs or starting-up in another industry, instead of just "going back to life as before"

Old 06-06-2021, 11:18 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,572,770 times
Working from home has been a hybrid model for 20 years at companies where you couldn't possibly get everything done during "normal" office hours. During the crash when companies slashed their workforce, one person was doing the work of at least 2 and working till midnight from home was more typical than not.

Like everything else it touched, Covid exacerbated and/or illuminated pre-existing conditions.

Old 06-06-2021, 11:22 AM

19,103 posts, read 14,081,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
They actually do but the typical forum poster has little knowledge about anything financial so they fail to recognize most of what I discuss even applies to them nor do they care …

And so they complain about the dealer instead of learning to play the cards they are dealt
With your financial advice, I mostly agree (except homeownership but that's not a strictly financial decision for most).

My point here is that most posters aren't high up executives in their companies (as far as I can tell at least).

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-06-2021, 11:47 AM

107,116 posts, read 109,467,196 times
Neither was I , ever an executive..I was a worker my entire life who learned to invest as best as i could to make the little bits I could save start to compound in to larger amounts .

But we all need to learn to play the cards we are dealt ..complaining about the hand or the dealer does nothing …as always those who want to find a way will , the rest will just find that excuse

Old 06-06-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
That doesn't mean he's not right in this case.

A lot of employees are overestimating their value. Like everything in life, the 80/20 rule applies. If you're not part of the top 20%, management won't bend over backwards or look the other way to satisfy your needs. This applies to any company.

A lot of workers have realized just how good a deal they're getting via WFH (especially those that put in 2-3 hour days) so or course they're pushing back.

Most of that pushback is coming from the top tier where people are way overestimating their value. The sense of entitlement is large and has been built up over decades or having it just a bit too good. Just because someone makes $200K doesn't mean they're valuable. If they want scrutiny on their positions and for management to "evaluate", this is a good way to invite it.

Top tier employees will get whatever they want and management will accommodate their WFH requests. As for others? I have a hard time seeing that unless companies move to full time WFH and in turn streamline (aka cut headcount) to account for the "extra" time and convinience WFH employees receive. When that individual now has to absorb the work of 1-2 others who were laid off, WFH will suddenly lose its luster for most.

Will there be outliers who have their cake and eat it too? Of course.I'm not saying that WFH won't become the new normal for some. It will but it'll also come at a price.

A lot of the supposed "productivity" that has been maintained or "increased" was single handedly due to the feds dumping $5 trillion into the economy over the past year. Once the economic growth rate reverts to the mean, all of that supposed productivity will evaporate. That's what companies are afraid of.

Revenue at the company I work for was up nearly 40% YOY with higher margins to boot. Believe me, it wasn't due to more productivity company wide. A few were way more productive. Most were not .

We had business handed to us on a silver platter due to the circumstances and we're able to satisfy that demand. In other words, more luck than skill. Same goes for most other places.
A lot of truth in this

Old 06-06-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/4/22...etter-tim-cook

The calls are getting louder...

Stop using your son's stuffy law environment as an example. You're detached from the reality of the vast majority of workers under 45.
That stuffy law environment he is in represents what 1000 attorneys in the largest employers in the country , with 58 national locations are seeing as far as work from home cases and issues as well as vaccination

Again , you like to make everything an age issue but most of this has nothing to do with age. It seems to be your fall back when your facts are wrong as they have been over and over

Old 06-06-2021, 01:52 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,916,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
That stuffy law environment he is in represents what 1000 attorneys in the largest employers in the country , with 58 national locations are seeing as far as work from home cases and issues as well as vaccination

Again , you like to make everything an age issue but most of this has nothing to do with age. It seems to be your fall back when your facts are wrong as they have been over and over
I've already detailed on here that 90% of Lawyers are terrible business owners. Paralegals in our company are burning out left and right because the Lawyers have no clue how to run a harmonious department.

They are so afraid of actually competing on merit and losing their Midtown Mojitos. Law jobs are about to be automated believe it or not. No matter how prestigious...

Tying people to a desk and wining and dining clients won't help them preserve their job functions. Technology eats every industry. And it just happens to be the industry you are least educated about!

I am thankful the law industry rejected me early in my career- terrible work environment and culture.

Old 06-06-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I've already detailed on here that 90% of Lawyers are terrible business owners. Paralegals in our company are burning out left and right because the Lawyers have no clue how to run a harmonious department.

They are so afraid of actually competing on merit and losing their Midtown Mojitos. Law jobs are about to be automated believe it or not. No matter how prestigious...

Tying people to a desk and wining and dining clients won't help them preserve their job functions. Technology eats every industry. And it just happens to be the industry you are least educated about!

I am thankful the law industry rejected me early in my career- terrible work environment and culture.
Says you …lol

Ready ,fire , aim seems to be your posting strategy as you post about things you seem to know little about over and over ..and if facts get in the way just blame age on something

Old 06-06-2021, 05:06 PM

1,034 posts, read 450,117 times
Quote:

I sense too much reddit and twitter in your life. Reddit and Twitter doesn't represent the real world for the most part. People who spend too much time on Reddit and Twitter tend to get really angry when they encounter the real world where everyone doesn't cater to their every whim and kiss their ass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business