Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 09:02 PM

37,307 posts, read 39,681,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
People aren't using personal devices to get work done at work though.

The ONLY jobs that lend themselves to WFH well are those are purely goal based. Basically jobs that are easy to measure.

We're sort of in agreement, but being easy to measure doesn't mean they are actively being measured which I think will change. Add to that a lot of the jobs that shifted to WFH from the office for a lot of places were originally done so under duress, but some of those ended up being just fine for the employers so they might not even have considered yet that they have pretty easy pathways to measure productivity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2021, 05:40 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,916,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
High skill white collar workers are about to learn that they actually have no pull.
We don't. I'm looking to quit and retire early before this whole back to office crap begins. Depends partly on BTC price, wish me luck...

Old 06-04-2021, 05:48 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,916,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
I don't think there'll be much data logging to measure productivity.
Those people will be laid off. It'll be much easier to lay people off that WFH.

Showing up to the office is like 50% of the job for many people. I'm not even joking.
If showing up is 50% they should automate that entire team or outsource it. My job for example is both digital and strategic. None of this requires face to face interaction. In fact my job requires uninterrupted concentration time for troubleshooting and analysis which I don’t get as it is. Add a 1-2 hour unnecessary daily commute and pointless face time with people I don't work with, and my productivity drops.

It's the same for others in our other locations. Company cut travel budgets in 2019 to visit vendors we use and colleagues in other major hubs. Now to add insult to injury their geo restrictions on hiring leaves us with lower quality talent in the pipeline. Boomers have mismanaged corporate America right into the ground, and New York will be ground zero for the White collar worker rebellion being most visible.

Old 06-04-2021, 05:58 AM

107,112 posts, read 109,467,196 times
I was at Central Park and I saw so many work from home people trying to do their work while also entertaining their kids and talking to friends .

For the most part companies are finding workers are less efficient not more when left to the honor system and the ability to do personal stuff at home while supposedly working .

It is no wonder many employees like it

Old 06-04-2021, 06:12 AM

19,103 posts, read 14,081,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I was at Central Park and I saw so many work from home people trying to do their work while also entertaining their kids and talking to friends .

For the most part companies are finding workers are less efficient not more when left to the honor system and the ability to do personal stuff at home while supposedly working .

Depends on the person and the company they work for.

In my wife's situation, she barely gets up from her desk all day, just like at work. Just now she can eat a real lunch (they had crappy breaks and no cafeteria), get in a workout during what would have been her get dressed and commute time, and be here to pick up our daughter if I am out doing something. Besides that, in her case, there's literally no difference from being in the building.

The other day when she got the email stating this would be permanent, half the message was how amazing her and her co-worker have been during the trial period.

Her job is tailor made for work from home. She's a graphic designer sitting at a computer all day doing something that actually requires creativity. There's no need for a boss over her shoulder all day, especially when they can see her mouse moving real time if they want to anyway.

My job on the other hand is half work from home by design. Total score. My company's office is more like a sales hub for securing contracts. Everyone at my level works independently. Almost like how smaller real estate firms operate.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-04-2021, 07:05 AM

5,901 posts, read 3,023,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
We don't. I'm looking to quit and retire early before this whole back to office crap begins. Depends partly on BTC price, wish me luck...

Im so with you on that one. All I want is to pay off the house and just do part time work. Travel mostly.

Old 06-04-2021, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
that is rolling the dice on a retirement , that is for sure

Old 06-04-2021, 07:07 AM

14,092 posts, read 14,031,850 times
Quote:

2020s is work from home decade and electric vehicles(EV)

Old 06-04-2021, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
2020s is work from home decade and electric vehicles(EV)
and crypo is the path to certain wealth and a new retirement product .....

Old 06-04-2021, 07:11 AM

5,901 posts, read 3,023,363 times
Quote:
and crypo is the path to certain wealth and a new retirement product .....
About 20 years overdue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business