Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2017, 04:19 PM

8,343 posts, read 6,436,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Just take out that old, inefficient V8 and drop a modern 4-cyl with a 6-speed auto transmission into your Vega. The increase in gas mileage will more than offset the 12-cent gas tax increase -- you'll be sending less money to Brown than before

Actually, this is true for anyone bellyaching about the gas tax increase: if you don't want to pay it, just trade in your vehicle for one that gets at least 1 or 2 more mpg than the one you have now.
I will NEVER be able to understand Democrats who accept and want tax increases. The money will just disappear, what a waste. Weird people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 07:32 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,852,840 times
I just realized that I pay an additional 88 cents per vehicle per car insurance period that goes to the state for some kind of fraud detection...did we vote for that? It's not a big amount but multiply it by every vehicle twice a year, what are they doing with that money???

Old 04-08-2017, 08:05 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleysOwl View Post
I agree. I watch my calories and the quality of what I eat.

The point was a bit of sarcasm.

However when the State says something like that, it usually has nothing to do with it and the poor usually do not overeat, they just eat junk and the cost of gas will leave them in an even more difficult position to eat properly, with less money.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:06 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,458,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I just realized that I pay an additional 88 cents per vehicle per car insurance period that goes to the state for some kind of fraud detection...did we vote for that? It's not a big amount but multiply it by every vehicle twice a year, what are they doing with that money???
On your car insurance? Fraud there is handled by NICB--National Insurance Crime Bureau. They do a ton of investigating of crimes involving cars and are invaluable for investigations that cross state lines.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:25 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,228,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
He's floundering and if he doesn't get his act together soon, he may find himself in the middle of an impeachment. My two cents
Not another person that doesn't understand how impeachment works. Being incompetent or annoying isn't grounds for impeachment.

You have to commit a criminal offense against the United States. That's what the whole "high crime and misdemeanors" thing is about.

Old 04-09-2017, 02:49 AM

19,222 posts, read 16,710,036 times
I understand it fine. You're right, though. I didn't phrase it correctly and made it sound like his problems have to do with performance when, in fact, he's pushing the envelope on violating the law, constitutionally-speaking. That's really all I'll say since the thread is really about California and the new fees and taxes getting ready to go into effect.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:44 AM

6,232 posts, read 3,612,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Just take out that old, inefficient V8 and drop a modern 4-cyl with a 6-speed auto transmission into your Vega. The increase in gas mileage will more than offset the 12-cent gas tax increase -- you'll be sending less money to Brown than before

Actually, this is true for anyone bellyaching about the gas tax increase: if you don't want to pay it, just trade in your vehicle for one that gets at least 1 or 2 more mpg than the one you have now.
Oh yes...the average Californian is zipping around in a V8 muscle car racing up and down the highway at 90 mph. And we can all afford to go out tomorrow and buy the latest hybrid. And if we did, that means we'd be buying less gas, which means the state would still collect less gas tax which aren't being put to proper use anyway, which means raising it again in a few years...

Old 04-09-2017, 09:48 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,882,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Oh yes...the average Californian is zipping around in a V8 muscle car racing up and down the highway at 90 mph. And we can all afford to go out tomorrow and buy the latest hybrid. And if we did, that means we'd be buying less gas, which means the state would still collect less gas tax which aren't being put to proper use anyway, which means raising it again in a few years...
BINGO. Just one example - all the water agencies screamed "Conserve! Conserve!" When we did, they jacked up the water rates because they weren't getting enough revenue.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:58 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
BINGO. Just one example - all the water agencies screamed "Conserve! Conserve!" When we did, they jacked up the water rates because they weren't getting enough revenue.
Nothing exclusive to California there. When I lived in Nevada they did the same thing, what you don't seem to understand is that there are fixed costs in delivering water and those remain even when usage drops. If usage drops significantly rates have to go up to maintain the infrastructure and delivery systems. Bingo?

Old 04-09-2017, 10:00 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,882,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Nothing exclusive to California there. When I lived in Nevada they did the same thing, what you don't seem to understand is that there are fixed costs in delivering water and those remain even when usage drops. If usage drops significantly rates have to go up to maintain the infrastructure and delivery systems. Bingo?
No, silly - just reduce costs like we all have to do if the budget decreases. Cut costs/wages, renegotiate contracts, do without some things. Basic Budgeting 101. Less revenue = Less spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California