Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2017, 10:27 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
That's odd, because yes, every two years you need an emissions inspection. If your car is new enough (1997 I think), all they do is basically kick the tires so to speak; i.e. plug a device into the computer, check the gas cap, that sort of bs. No ACTUAL emissions testing like in CA. So, every two years that guy is making a trip back to AZ for that.
If your car was made in 2000 or later, in California they plug the scanner in the OBD2 port and check for fault codes and do a visual inspection for smoke or improper/missing smog equipment, I think they went to that in 2016. 1995-2000 cars get an OBD2 check and a tailpipe sniffer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 10:54 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,300,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Probably because CA is usually first to create new laws and they know it is going to have a trickle down effect.
But California isn't the first state to create a lot of laws. Emissions laws are an exception because of the geography and climate here, but just some examples that people have ranted about:

Same sex marriage - Massachusetts in 2004. California didn't legalize it until 2008.
Sexual orientation laws in private employment - The District of Columbia in 1972. Wisconsin in 1982. California didn't have such a law until 1992.

Oregon decriminalized marijuana in 1973. Alaska deemed marijuana use at home was a privacy issue in the 70s. Numerous other states decriminalized it before California passed legislation in 1975 that basically gave people the ability to walk away with a $100 fine if they were caught with less than an ounce. Where California did come first in regards to Marijuana was that the voters voted to allow it for medicinal use.

Transgender rights (non-discrimination in housing and employment) - Minnesota in 1993. California in 2004 after Rhode Island and New Mexico.

Gun control laws - The first laws were passed in The South because they didn't want former slaves owning guns. Then there were the first Federal laws passed as a result of crime during the prohibition era. Then there were the assassinations in the 60s wherein several politicians and a civil rights leader were shot, primarily because a certain American mindset didn't agree with them. None of these events had anything to do with California. As far as I can research, California was the first state to enact an assault rifle ban which was the result of a massacre at a school in Stockton. An AK-47 was used in that shooting.

None of these things I listed should be an issue at all. Emissions laws are a necessity and they don't have any negative impacts on the average Joe Sixpack. The cars run better, get better gas mileage, and are much more reliable that cars from the past. Anyone who is nostalgic for a sticky carburetor choke on a cold morning needs their head examined.

Gay marriage and transgender rights - why do they care? Why are they offended? Furthermore, why do people in the Midwest and the South give a damn about laws in California or Massachusetts?

Marijuana - I don't care for it, but I really don't care if people smoke it.

Guns - I'm not against guns at all. However, I questions the sanity of people who are obsessed with guns, like the poster in another thread that thinks the ability to open-carry a gun in a movie theater or grocery store is a selling point for moving to Texas. And anyone who thinks they need an assault rifle has been watching too many action movies. And most importantly, we do have a problem with gun violence in this country. Enacting gun control laws, or fighting them isn't going to change that. Most of the gun violence is due to social and mental health issues that society refuses to address.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If your car was made in 2000 or later, in California they plug the scanner in the OBD2 port and check for fault codes and do a visual inspection for smoke or improper/missing smog equipment, I think they went to that in 2016. 1995-2000 cars get an OBD2 check and a tailpipe sniffer.
They don't do visual inspections on the newer vehicles because OBD2 will throw an error if emissions equipment is missing. The last inspection for my 2007 Ranger only involved a tailpipe check.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
As far as the Coastal people are concerned, the only....ONLY purpose that the people in the Inland Empire and Central Valley serve is to help pony up some taxes without actually enjoying said beaches and sunshine. And to be a punching bag for the superior Coastal people to kick on as a reminder of their cultural, visual, economic, and intellectual superiority.

And you're right. There's absolutely nothing....nothing at all....that the Interior people can or will do about it. They MUST accept it.

Nope! The overwhelming majority of the interior receives more than is paid in taxes.

Report: Bay Area counties give so rural counties can receive – The Mercury News

Old 04-14-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
They do, but it seems to be pre-97 or whatever year it is; basically pre OBD-II (unless they do it for newer cars too on a random selection basis; I've no idea). That's what I gathered from a recent discussion on it.
ADOT has a summary here: http://www.myazcar.com/why-and-how-we-test

Arizona Car Inspection | DMV.org

Some vehicles get checked every year. I would like to know how they keep track of people who commute into those areas.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
They don't do visual inspections on the newer vehicles because OBD2 will throw an error if emissions equipment is missing. The last inspection for my 2007 Ranger only involved a tailpipe check.
They are required to do a visual and if they don't they will get fined or lose their license. They are now required to look at the cat(s) and if they have been replaced they have to have a BAR # on them and it has to be the correct model for that vehicle. They also do a visual for smoke.

I have on idea why your 2007 ranger required a tailpipe check but not an OBD2, that's bizarre.

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/obdprog/obdfaq.htm

Passing the Visual Part of the CA Smog Check Inspection - SmogTips.com

Old 04-14-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
But California isn't the first state to create a lot of laws. Emissions laws are an exception because of the geography and climate here, but just some examples that people have ranted about:
Nevada has a law making it a misdemeanor to fit shoes using X-rays. NRS 202.245—

Old 04-14-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
They are required to do a visual and if they don't they will get fined or lose their license. They are now required to look at the cat(s) and if they have been replaced they have to have a BAR # on them and it has to be the correct model for that vehicle. They also do a visual for smoke.

I have on idea why your 2007 ranger required a tailpipe check but not an OBD2, that's bizarre.

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/obdprog/obdfaq.htm

Passing the Visual Part of the CA Smog Check Inspection - SmogTips.com
I should have clarified. They did do an OBD2 scan along with the tailpipe check. You can't do the tailpipe check without the OBD2 data after the 1996 or 1997 model year. The software the use requires it.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:21 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Quote:
Don't forget they tail pipe as far back as 1976...

My OEM twin Carb Triumph has a lot of problems.. the Smog tech took a great running classic and made it not driveable... he had never seen a dual carb factory set up... and most no nothing about carbs...

Old 04-15-2017, 04:15 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,030,232 times
Quote:
ADOT has a summary here: Why & How We Test | myAZcar.com

Arizona Car Inspection | DMV.org

Some vehicles get checked every year. I would like to know how they keep track of people who commute into those areas.
In Tucson & phoenix my car (1985) would be inspected every year. As long as you have a AZ resident I doubt it if they care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California