Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2018, 10:34 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Now gruesome Newsom is saying San Francisco is “too permissive “
Whoa, that's weird. He better be careful. He'll lose votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Newsom says Prop 13 repeal is on the table .. maybe that’s one of his plans for paying for health care for all illegal aliens in CA?
—
@scottshafer
"Is prop 13 on the table?"
@GavinNewsom
"Everything is on the table" #CAgovdebate
Now THAT I do believe. If he wins, he should dismantle Prop 13. That is, if he wants to be a one-term governor.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:40 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Newsom says Prop 13 repeal is on the table .. maybe that’s one of his plans for paying for health care for all illegal aliens in CA?

@scottshafer
"Is prop 13 on the table?"
@GavinNewsom
"Everything is on the table" #CAgovdebate
Why take that out of context?

Quote:
Gavin Newsom: [00:06:32] Incentivize good behavior or disincentivize bad behavior. One of the specific plans of the 15 specific plans we have to address this housing crisis comes the issue of allocation of tax revenue. Mayors have a perverse disincentives for housing. Mayors actually have an incentive for big box retail. Mayors collect, cities collect retail sales tax; they don't collect property tax. We would like to have that debate about reallocating that tax base.

Scott Shafer: [00:06:59] You're talking about reforming Prop 13?

Gavin Newsom: [00:07:00] We're talking about a tax conversation around this housing conversation...

Scott Shafer: [00:07:03] Is Prop 13 on the table?

Gavin Newsom: [00:07:04] ...that everything's on the table as it relates to this issue. This is the issue that defines the affordability crisis. Number two: I think you also have to be a bit punitive as it relates to local government. I think one of the proposals that to me is most interesting and intriguing actually comes from this region: the MTC, or Metropolitan Transit Commission, is talking about utilizing their ability to take discretionary transit dollars and allocate those transit dollars to municipalities that are meeting their housing production goals and taking those dollars away from those that are not. That's just two specific examples of how we can address... https://www.kqed.org/forum/201010186...atorial-debate

Old 10-09-2018, 07:09 AM

26,739 posts, read 26,828,098 times
"Inside a San Francisco radio studio, the two candidates for California governor faced off in their only one-on-one debate before election day..."

Gavin Newsom and John Cox clash in their only head-to-head governor's race debate:
http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-p...008-story.html

Old 10-09-2018, 01:03 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times
Yup everything is fine here in CA .. despite massive poverty .. the highest in the nation price adjusted . A massive homeless problem worst in the State , unfunded pensions , etc etc

Hey if it ain’t broke don’t fix it right ?

Old 10-09-2018, 01:39 PM

I would have liked to hear the candidates thoughts on California's water problem or if the plan to ration water will still be ordered. Or how to fix the escalating cost of homes in the state. Those are the issues directly related to California and what I care most about. Maybe they were addressed but I missed most of the debate and since there won't be any more, I just have to decide where my vote will go. I hate election years. They put me in a bad mood

Old 10-09-2018, 03:21 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times
Gavin Newsom’s San Francisco ... the liberals running this state have made us the laughingstock of the U.S
Similar conditions in Los Angeles too

“SAN FRANCISCO — The heroin needles, the pile of excrement between parked cars, the yellow soup oozing out of a large plastic bag by the curb and the stained, faux Persian carpet dumped on the corner.

It’s a scene of detritus that might bring to mind any variety of developing-world squalor. But this is San Francisco, the capital of the nation’s technology industry, where a single span of Hyde Street hosts an open-air narcotics market by day and at night is occupied by the unsheltered and drug-addled slumped on the sidewalk.

There are many other streets like it, but by one measure it’s the dirtiest block in the city

Life on the Dirtiest Block in San Francisco

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/08/u...don-breed.html

Old 10-09-2018, 03:55 PM

Did not realize things had gotten so bad in SF. Was it this bad when Mr. Newsom was the mayor? I certainly hope not. That doesn't set a very good example of how he'll run an entire state, if his own city was in such a state of decay.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:02 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Did not realize things had gotten so bad in SF. Was it this bad when Mr. Newsom was the mayor? I certainly hope not. That doesn't set a very good example of how he'll run an entire state, if his own city was in such a state of decay.
Here are two articles that discuss what Newsom did in regards to homelessness as Mayor:

Quote:
His successor, Gavin Newsom, took the most aggressive stance yet toward tackling the issue. In 2004, he announced a 10-year plan to end chronic homelessness.

While it failed to reach that goal, it did result in moving 22,000 homeless people off the streets either into housing or onto buses headed home. And in the past few years, the majority of the city’s indigent military veterans — many suffering post-traumatic stress from as far back as the 1970s — have been moved indoors, thanks in part to a national effort led by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. https://projects.sfchronicle.com/sf-homeless/overview/
Quote:
A decade and roughly $1.5 billion later, the city has succeeded in moving 19,500 homeless people off its streets, roughly equivalent to relocating the entire Castro district. But despite that major effort, the homeless population hasn’t budged, showing that as one homeless person is helped, another takes his place.

In addition, Newsom left City Hall for Sacramento and has had no success pushing his pet issue as a statewide cause. His replacement, Ed Lee, has shifted the city’s focus away from homelessness and onto job creation and tech promotion.

Meanwhile, new homeless encampments dot downtown alleys. Panhandlers still pervade the city. Needles, urine and human feces still litter sidewalks. It’s not unusual to see homeless mothers with children begging downtown, people bathing in the sinks at the Main Library, and open-air crack and heroin use within view of the mayor’s balcony at City Hall.https://www.sfgate.com/vehicles/arch...-S-F-30431.php

Old 10-11-2018, 02:33 PM

26,739 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Gavin Newsom says he would scale back the bullet train and twin tunnels if elected - Los Angeles Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California