Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2012, 12:48 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,179,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Yes, I can generally hear the accent of people from Northern States when I'm in them, although sometimes Americans from these states unconsciously tone down their accents when in Canada, so Northerners can often pass as Canadians, especially if they're in a city as people in cities often end up with accents closer to "American Standard". I don't know what to tell you though about how they sound to me. American accents do all seem to sound a bit more drawly, yes, although I'm not going to confuse a Vermonter with someone from the South any time soon even if he does sound different from me. I mean, my ears aren't broken, it`s the same accent you hear...
I find myself saying 'soary' rather than 'saw-ry' after a few days of being in Canada, since everyone else says it like that. Is that pretty typical of American visitors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 12:53 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,179,488 times
Saying Vancouver has a 'weaker' Canadian accent would imply it has a more American accent, ie people drawl their vowels and pronounce /a/ and /ou/ in the typical American fashion.

I think Toronto has a more Americanized accent than Vancouver, but northern Ontario has a very very strongly Canadian sounding tone to it. The BC interior sounds very similar to a Western US accent except it's a bit more clipped and 'proper' sounding I guess.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:06 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
I find myself saying 'soary' rather than 'saw-ry' after a few days of being in Canada, since everyone else says it like that. Is that pretty typical of American visitors?
I think so. I had a friend from Boston when I was in Montreal who claimed to have a pretty thick Massachusetts accent, at least when she went home, but whenever I spoke with her she sounded American but not with a particularly strong regional accent. I think it's quite natural to unconsciously alter your speech when you're in a new place with a new accent. I temporarily take on certain linguistic habits when I hang out too long with my Indian relatives or with friends of mine from the Maritimes. It's totally natural.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:20 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
To a Canadian There would be no doubt about a Paula Dean type accent coming from the southern USA.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:31 AM

455 posts, read 1,131,455 times
In toronto let's say the only american accents that would really stick out would be southern and perhaps someone with a strong east coast accent.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:11 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,573,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
In toronto let's say the only american accents that would really stick out would be southern and perhaps someone with a strong east coast accent.
Only someone who is not really familiar with the regional accents in the USA could say this. The strongest accents I have ever heard from Americans come from Illinois, Indiana and Missouri. There are also very strong accents from different parts of Appalachia. West Virginia, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennesse and other Mtn. states. Southern accents vary a great deal also. Alabama accents don't sound the same as Texans or people from Arkansas. My very least favorite American Accents are that horrible upper class faux British Boston talk and the hard grating on the nerves Michigan accent.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:10 PM

455 posts, read 1,131,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Only someone who is not really familiar with the regional accents in the USA could say this. The strongest accents I have ever heard from Americans come from Illinois, Indiana and Missouri. There are also very strong accents from different parts of Appalachia. West Virginia, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennesse and other Mtn. states. Southern accents vary a great deal also. Alabama accents don't sound the same as Texans or people from Arkansas. My very least favorite American Accents are that horrible upper class faux British Boston talk and the hard grating on the nerves Michigan accent.
Well I mentioned toronto due to the fact there isn't really a standard toronto english accent and it being a hub for immigration from all over the world and country you'll hear variations of accents speaking english all the time. Most people aren't well versed with specific regional american accents aside from the most obvious stereotypical examples such as what i listed.

An american from illinois in toronto would not be singled out right away as an american by the majority of people there. Frankly someone coming from up north past barrie in one of the smaller towns or so would probably be singled out as an out of towner faster due to speech.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:18 PM

235 posts, read 837,227 times
Someone from the Maritimes can definitely pick out someone from Southern Maine... That's where the New England Yankee accent starts, then spreads south towards Boston. Maritimers have an accent, more than one actually, and it doesn't include the typical "pahked the cah in Bahstahn yahd" sound.

American accents sound slow, drawl, and use a lot of broad vowel sounds, to my ears anyway. I relate more to twangy Southern accents, if that makes sense, or any East Coast accent. Further West, the drawl becomes pronounced in a more extreme way.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:24 PM

235 posts, read 837,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
Well I mentioned toronto due to the fact there isn't really a standard toronto english accent and it being a hub for immigration from all over the world and country you'll hear variations of accents speaking english all the time. Most people aren't well versed with specific regional american accents aside from the most obvious stereotypical examples such as what i listed.

An american from illinois in toronto would not be singled out right away as an american by the majority of people there. Frankly someone coming from up north past barrie in one of the smaller towns or so would probably be singled out as an out of towner faster due to speech.
I don't agree, on two points: 1) Toronto does indeed have a discernable accent... That stereotypical Bob & Doug MacKenzie hoser accent, eh? Pure Teranna. 2) it may be difficult for someone unfamiliar with US accents to pinpoint exactly where an American is from, say if it's a MidWest accent; but I think most Toronto nians would hear an accent. That's my hunch, at least. Wish we could do a survey!

Old 08-16-2012, 06:30 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,039 times
Torontonians totally have an accent. Whenever Torontonians come to Montreal I can pick up that they're from Toronto, but it is a subtle difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada