Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Quebec Independence a Legitimate Movement?
Yes 147 65.04%
No 79 34.96%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 04:43 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Hey thanks it was certainly an open question..
I would agree with begratto as well. PBeau is definitely atypical. Even though it serves some people's assumptions to think that he is very typical.

I will address how I think most federalist Quebecers think in another post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 05:24 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
I voted no, although I'm very fond of my French "cousins". But nothing against them, I'm just against the destruction of nations and their current implosion into smaller and meaningless entities (eg former Yugoslavia, and the UK and Spain are also in danger in that respect).

Old 08-11-2015, 06:01 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I would agree with begratto as well. PBeau is definitely atypical. Even though it serves some people's assumptions to think that he is very typical.

I will address how I think most federalist Quebecers think in another post.
Thanks AJ.. Its really hard to get a sense of things from C/D.. Its a small sample here.. What you are saying to me is the impression I've gotten from friends in Quebec and through colleagues at work from Quebec though i'm taking into account they may not be comfortable having an open discussion on how they feel about this matter with me as i'm not from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I voted no, although I'm very fond of my French "cousins". But nothing against them, I'm just against the destruction of nations and their current implosion into smaller and meaningless entities (eg former Yugoslavia, and the UK and Spain are also in danger in that respect).
I actually share the same concern as you do in this phole - where does it all end feeling.. Who do we grant the democratic right to separate in this country.. Provinces, smaller distinct groups/regions still... Its a rather unsettling thought and the possibilities are almost endless.. Imagine if we held the line at Provinces and we all just fractured to become our own Provincial nations - the country of Ontario, B.C, Manitoba, Alberta, Nova Scotia etc - I don't know would this make people happy.. I know i'd have concerns about the strength of these places within the global economy and also just the ability of them to effectively operate as strongly as they would together.. It may sound nice to say this is an online forum but how would that translate in the real world outside of a rant in a forum. Canada for all it plusses and minuses has good things about it that make us all stronger.

As for Quebec - I do think it is the only Province that would probably have a meaningful desire and enough support to actually warrant becoming its own nation in this country. Given that strong support and the history of the Province along with its linguistic and cultural differences from the R.O.C, I would say it is a legitimate movement and we can't just take a you can never leave approach.. The UK has treated Scotland in the same way.. I don't think Spain is with Catalonia however which is surprising because it probably has the strongest separation movement that I can think of in the western world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As an Anglo I cant see any reason to remain in Quebec if it separated,especially when a move just 60 miles to the west renders Quebec and all its linguistic bs irrelevant .
However i'll be leaving Quebec a lot sooner as the wife and i are planning to move to Ontario as soon as she retires in less than 5 years.Both of the kids are also seeking employment outside Quebec.
To tell the truth if i knew then what i know now i would have left Quebec shortly after immigrating here 40 years ago.
Well its a sad situation Jambo but I respect your wishes and reasoning.. You and you're family will be welcomed with open arms! I know I've said this a few times to you but I really do think it should be repeated as saying to someone you are welcome for what you are is an important message to say!

Last edited by fusion2; 08-11-2015 at 06:39 AM..

Old 08-11-2015, 06:37 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:

PBeau is an ambassador for your francophone culture if you feel he is describing your culture in a negative or inaccurate way or a way that many may think represents a large swath of Quebecois values.
Call him on it.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Well its a sad situation Jambo but I respect your wishes and reasoning.. You and you're family will be welcomed with open arms! I know I've said this a few times to you but I really do think it should be repeated as saying to someone you are welcome for what you are is an important message to say!
My moving to the ROC will in no way be a sad event for me or Quebec who will have succeeded in ridding itself of yet another Anglo family.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
PBeau is an ambassador for your francophone culture if you feel he is describing your culture in a negative or inaccurate way or a way that many may think represents a large swath of Quebecois values.
Call him on it.
Hmm, no. PBeau is the example you and people like you like to give of the francophone culture because it fits in perfectly with the "freeloader" stereotype you have created about us.

PBeau represents himself, just as I represent myself and you represent yourself.

He is not an ambassador for anything, nor am I nor are you.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Hmm, no. PBeau is the example you and people like you like to give of the francophone culture because it fits in perfectly with the "freeloader" stereotype you have created about us.

PBeau represents himself, just as I represent myself and you represent yourself.

Whether you think so or not people come to conclusions based on what they hear or read,if you think what PBeau is saying doesnt get some people thinking is this what francophones are like?
PBeau please proceed.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:06 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:

Very interesting comments here.. We can't just take what Pbeau says as being reflective of the Francophone community at large.. I'm sure there are more Pbeau's, not sure how many (perhaps not as in your face either) in Quebec but to say that he is an Ambassador for francophone culture as if there is no diversity of thought is simply unfair and just not right.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Very interesting comments here.. We can't just take what Pbeau says as being reflective of the Francophone community at large...
No more than my views, really.

What we do know for sure is that there is a good chunk of people in Quebec that want independence and a good chunk that want to stay in Canada. All of these people have their reasons for feeling and thinking the way they do.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:45 AM

I'm sure plenty of people read our dialogues,Some may even have plans of relocating to Canada and specifically Quebec, those that have no clue about Quebec may stop by and read several posters from Quebec to get an idea of prevailing attitudes in Quebec,what they see is several posters who dont like Anglos or Minorities and dont identify with Canada then theres a few more francophones who are in favor of outright separation from Canada, they also see just one Anglo Quebecer who goes on and on about his displeasure at having to live under Quebecs draconian language laws.
What conclusions do you imagine those unfamiliar with Quebec come to by reading our posts?.
If you dont like the word ambassador fine but our back and forth banter certainly represents real attitudes in Quebec and Canada, Attitudes that can influence people decisions and perceptions of not only a particular culture but the country in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada