Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2024, 11:26 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,303,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Interesting, probably about 1.4 now but quite good value for Sydney, on the upper part of the George’s River. Some parts there are flood prone, but not to say that affects your friend’s house.

Just out of interest, what would something like that cost in Vancouver?
Consider that for this 70 years old tear down with a leaky roof, not even comparable as location to my friend's house, asking price is 1.8 mil

https://www.zillow.com/homes/1004-Sp...14487436_zpid/

RE up there is truly out of this world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2024, 11:53 PM

1,225 posts, read 498,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Consider that for this 70 years old tear down with a leaky roof, not even comparable as location to my friend's house, asking price is 1.8 mil

https://www.zillow.com/homes/1004-Sp...14487436_zpid/

RE up there is truly out of this world.

OMG...... nothing to see here everything is normal in Canada....

Old 01-19-2024, 04:55 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
The first world also ain't what it used to be!

Old 01-19-2024, 08:08 AM

335 posts, read 154,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
People keep saying that crime is down overall or even way down based on historical numbers but no one I know thinks their cities feel safer than they used to.
The only people saying cities are safer are those who are buying whatever lies our current Dictator-in-Chief is selling.

Violent crime was in decline until the current administration was elected. Since then, it is been steadily increasing at a more rapid pace than it was declining over the years proceeding Trudolph's utter incompetence.

Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/...nt-crime-rate/

Last edited by MickIlhenney; 01-19-2024 at 08:22 AM..

Old 01-19-2024, 08:31 AM

64 posts, read 38,307 times
The Canadian economy has overwhelmed by monopolies and oligopolies in every single sector. From Air travel and finance system to retail and communications there are only two or three firms which operate in the market unlike the USA where the competition is more severe. As a result prices stood much higher in Canada than in the US in the majority of sectors while wages are 30% in America. The same story also happens in many European states.

https://youtu.be/feXSzydEeB0?si=UpcfyD7zT8QlZV5X

Old 01-19-2024, 09:31 AM

827 posts, read 866,100 times
Quote:
Had a look and compared Heavenly at Lake Tahoe (where my kids worked one season) with Sun Peaks, BC, where one is now. When you take in the exchange rate, Sun Peaks is only $US85 for a lift ticket next week whereas the US resort is $US188. Big difference when there are four of you skiing for a week.
No idea why the difference is so much.
Interesting, it's really cheaper in Canada.

And the prices overall surprisingly seem to be cheaper in Canada compared to the USA.

It says that consumer prices in the US are 10.9% higher than in Canada. But it also says that the average salary in the US is almost 60% higher than in Canada, so the local purchasing power would still much better for Americans. I don't believe the difference is that gigantic. Anyone can contribute adding new data to this website so it may not be trustworthy.

Last edited by Yac; 01-24-2024 at 03:29 AM..

Old 01-19-2024, 09:58 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,303,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoFinatto View Post
Interesting, it's really cheaper in Canada.

And the prices overall surprisingly seem to be cheaper in Canada compared to the USA.

It says that consumer prices in the US are 10.9% higher than in Canada. But it also says that the average salary in the US is almost 60% higher than in Canada, so the local purchasing power would still much better for Americans. I don't believe the difference is that gigantic. Anyone can contribute adding new data to this website so it may not be trustworthy.

Be careful, it can be an useful tool but it does not tell the whole story.
When it comes to basic necessities, price difference between US and Canada has never been that great but as soon as you crank up the quality level (imported cheese or wine as an easy example) things change quickly. For example, good luck finding a $20 Brunello di Montalcino bottle of wine in Canada...

Another thing are the heavy discounts that you can get in US compared to Canada on big ticket items, from electronics, to appliances to cars. For example I always bought my cars well below dealer invoice prices (which in US is public information available anywhere) and when I say well below I really mean it, several thousands under. It takes stubborn negotiations and good timing but you can do it. In Canada is very different

Let's not touch the 2000 pounds gorilla in the room, the insane RE prices.....

Old 01-19-2024, 11:22 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,096,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post
The only people saying cities are safer are those who are buying whatever lies our current Dictator-in-Chief is selling.

Violent crime was in decline until the current administration was elected. Since then, it is been steadily increasing at a more rapid pace than it was declining over the years proceeding Trudolph's utter incompetence.

Your graph shows we’re at 2004 levels, and that it was higher pre-2004. Still not a good trend, but people look at the past with rose tinted goggles and think things were safer when they were kids, which it’s actually still not that bad now even with the spike. I agree though the spike isn’t good

Old 01-19-2024, 01:09 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Had a look and compared Heavenly at Lake Tahoe (where my kids worked one season) with Sun Peaks, BC, where one is now. When you take in the exchange rate, Sun Peaks is only $US85 for a lift ticket next week whereas the US resort is $US188. Big difference when there are four of you skiing for a week.
No idea why the difference is so much.
I'd guess that the reason for the more than double the price difference for Heavenly is that the region (Tahoe) is better recognized internationally and considered more prestigious to go to and pay more for the name - it's like it's a name brand, like paying a double inflated price for a name brand item. And the other (Sun Peaks, BC) is less well known internationally and is not on many international ski vacationer's radar. So Sun Peaks can charge a reasonable price to attract more people who are just looking for good family fun instead of looking for the prestige of an expensive name brand resort to spend their money on.

Old 01-19-2024, 02:29 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,522,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I'd guess that the reason for the more than double the price difference for Heavenly is that the region (Tahoe) is better recognized internationally and considered more prestigious to go to and pay more for the name - it's like it's a name brand, like paying a double inflated price for a name brand item. And the other (Sun Peaks, BC) is less well known internationally and is not on many international ski vacationer's radar. So Sun Peaks can charge a reasonable price to attract more people who are just looking for good family fun instead of looking for the prestige of an expensive name brand resort to spend their money on.

Actually spoke to my brother last night about this (very keen skier) and it seems the US resorts encourage the use of multi day/multi resort passes. Not so good for a few days but more competitive for locals, in particular. Seems the cost of lift tickets has become much more complex than the days when we were skiing!

I think what you say is true though, apparently Whistler is currently packed out whereas Sun Peaks is very quiet and most skiers are Aussie families enjoying the last week or so of the kids’ summer school vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada