Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2023, 12:22 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post

Nor do I. Perhaps you should go back and re-read my post.

I'm fairly certain I am responding to one.
I'm sorry, I should have been more explicit perhaps. I'll try again by asking you "what is a progressive?" and "what is an elitist?" by your definition. If a person is not considered a progressive or an elitist, then what are they, what other labels should be applicable to them? I see the word progressive being used over and over again in a derogatory way online and media and here on City Data as though it's supposed to be recognized as an insulting character description that everyone will understand but I don't understand it. I've been referred to as a "dirty progressive" just for being a Canadian. What does progressive mean to the people who say stuff like that?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2023, 02:19 PM

100 posts, read 93,713 times
"Progressives" are the ones who have audacity and arrogance to think that only they know for sure that 1. the world needs to be changed, 2. that only they know how to change the world, 3. know what is good for me, and 4. eager to jam it down my throat.

That's my own definition. I release the copyright. Feel free to reuse.

Old 10-07-2023, 04:55 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grotte View Post
"Progressives" are the ones who have audacity and arrogance to think that only they know for sure that 1. the world needs to be changed, 2. that only they know how to change the world, 3. know what is good for me, and 4. eager to jam it down my throat.

That's my own definition. I release the copyright. Feel free to reuse.
By your definition, it would cover Christians of a variety of sects, the Hare Krishna movement, and proselytizers in general. You could include the US State Dept as well, which loves to pontificate on human rights and democratization around the world.

Old 10-07-2023, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
By your definition, it would cover Christians of a variety of sects, the Hare Krishna movement, and proselytizers in general. You could include the US State Dept as well, which loves to pontificate on human rights and democratization around the world.
And the Blackface.

Old 10-09-2023, 12:01 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,096,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I'm sorry, I should have been more explicit perhaps. I'll try again by asking you "what is a progressive?" and "what is an elitist?" by your definition. If a person is not considered a progressive or an elitist, then what are they, what other labels should be applicable to them? I see the word progressive being used over and over again in a derogatory way online and media and here on City Data as though it's supposed to be recognized as an insulting character description that everyone will understand but I don't understand it. I've been referred to as a "dirty progressive" just for being a Canadian. What does progressive mean to the people who say stuff like that?

The right is increasingly anti-intellectual and has no time for using words in their accurate definitions. That’s why the centre left Liberal Party is “Marxist” and a billionaire like Kevin O’Leary can be a “populist” who is not one of the “elites”.

Old 10-10-2023, 11:15 PM

415 posts, read 560,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post
I don't think even Mad Max Bernier could do a worse job than the utterly incompetent moron sitting in the PM's office right now. Under the watch of the Trudeau Government, we have seen the introduction of a carbon tax that has literally done nothing but cause skyrocketing inflation, ramped up immigration targets at a time when we have less housing starts than we did in the 70's, and his administration blow more taxpayer's money than ALL OTHER FORMER CANADIAN FEDERAL GOVERNMENTS COMBINED. If you can't see a correlation between these actions and the skyrocketing cost of living, you need to learn basic Economics 101.

But hey... Why worry? The budget will balance itself, right?
If it weren't for Bernier and his People's Party splitting the vote on the right, and siphoning off votes from the Conservatives, Trudeau and his Liberals would have been shown the door in the 2021 election.

Old 10-10-2023, 11:20 PM

1,225 posts, read 497,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingstonBob View Post
If it weren't for Bernier and his People's Party splitting the vote on the right, and siphoning off votes from the Conservatives, Trudeau and his Liberals would have been shown the door in the 2021 election.
Did they really take away that much support from the conservatives? Claiming they "split" the vote seems
like an exaggeration.

Old 10-11-2023, 07:36 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,096,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingstonBob View Post
I don’t think that’s accurate. The ridings they performed the best in (high teens I believe) all went Conservative. The only place they weren’t 4th place at best were in rural Southern Ontario and the Prairies, which seats went Conservative

Old 10-23-2023, 04:03 PM

Immigration from India / Pakistan will end when Canada will resemble India /Pakistan. At the current rate you don't have to wait long.

Old 01-16-2024, 04:27 AM

64 posts, read 38,166 times
Sad decline of Canada.

https://youtu.be/dIDhU2EPAYg?si=wQGOuTSRAH2ZSlF_
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada