Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2007, 04:10 AM

863 posts, read 2,784,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Anyone that says the North Side is as dangerous or more dangerous as the South Side is delusional. (As some people have claimed here)
I don't think any person who has spent any length of time on any side of this city can claim this.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:33 PM

226 posts, read 1,169,031 times
Quote:
Better yet, look to Detroit in some ways...
All I can say is that there is no city neighborhood to rival Hyde Park in atmosphere, intelligence, quaint bookstores and eateries, classic brownstones, and so on.....One of the most beautiful city neighborhoods
would be Beverly, with grand mansions down the ridges......and you can say
the same about Lincoln Park, Lakeview, and such. Chicago as a whole is a
great city. As much history was made on the south, per the first nuclear
reaction on the U of C campus, and lots of other stuff, as the north.
We would be quite retarded if we get into the south side/north side argument. If there was a difference, it would be that the north side is less
neighborhood orientated, and more dense and transient. Far more suburbanites and new out-of-area folks. Yes, its white in many areas, but
most of those folks are not long time north side city residents...take away
the new people, and you don't have much to work with. South side areas
like Bridgeport go back many generations..north side areas outside of the
far NW side neighborhoods like Jefferson Park are either transient whites
either single or childless couples or gay, and/or Hispanic, with a decent amount of blacks in Uptown and Rogers Park......there isn't any argument,
as there are very sh*tty areas all over the north AND south sides. And a very
large part of the north side is hard core Hispanic gangbangers, who were
there before the suburban kids started moving in and pushing them farther
west.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:21 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliano View Post
You've got to be kidding. Probably twice as much of the city's land is experiencing 'white flight' ('flight' that consists of all races/ethnicities - basically most of the southeast, southwest, and northwest of the city) when compared to the amount that is gentrifying (the near northwest, the south loop, and north side neighborhoods along the lake sans Rogers Park).
Quote:
Very true. Look at Portage Park for example to Portage Park even ten years ago. Mont Clare is going down really quick.
This is a case where just doing a comparison of ethnic balance from one point in time to the next can be misleading. Yeah, there is a higher percentage of Hispanics in Portage Park than there was 10 or 15 years ago, but is this necessarily due to white flight? In the case of Portage Park and a lot of other Northwest side neighborhoods, maybe not. Portage Park saw a population increase of 16% between the 1990 and 2000 census. So maybe it's not so much that whites are moving out as Hispanics are moving in as it is that Hispanics are moving in while most everyone else is staying put.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:30 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
This is a case where just doing a comparison of ethnic balance from one point in time to the next can be misleading. Yeah, there is a higher percentage of Hispanics in Portage Park than there was 10 or 15 years ago, but is this necessarily due to white flight? In the case of Portage Park and a lot of other Northwest side neighborhoods, maybe not. Portage Park saw a population increase of 16% between the 1990 and 2000 census. So maybe it's not so much that whites are moving out as Hispanics are moving in as it is that Hispanics are moving in while most everyone else is staying put.
It is not really about "White Flight" and culture change as it is about crime. If you look at the crime numbers of Portage Park compared to 10-15 years ago there is a huge difference.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:48 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
It is not really about "White Flight" and culture change as it is about crime. If you look at the crime numbers of Portage Park compared to 10-15 years ago there is a huge difference.
And where would one find crime stats for Portage Park 10-15 years ago to verify this claim?

Old 12-21-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
And where would one find crime stats for Portage Park 10-15 years ago to verify this claim?
I will work on it. If I cannot get it, the best I can do is give the 16th district, which is a huge area. But then again that is most of the real Northwest Side.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:41 AM

4 posts, read 11,080 times
if you are visiting stick to the downtown /rush street area if you go westside /southside there is not much to see or do unless you know the area and are looking for a specific type of food the west side is considered bad because of the drugs and gangs near south and far south is the same but so is far north near north you have old money but there is so much to do in the downtown area you may will not get bored

Old 12-22-2007, 10:38 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
Quote:
I'm curious about this too. Cicero is, what, 85% Hispanic now, but it has a crime rate that is (considerably) lower than Oak Park.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/cii/...g27_to_198.pdf

There's often a perception that when Latinos move into an area the crime is going to increase. Maybe in some respects that's true (the families are often much younger) but I've always thought that this is more myth than fact. I'm curious to see your numbers re Portage Park.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:43 PM

226 posts, read 1,169,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I'm curious about this too. Cicero is, what, 85% Hispanic now, but it has a crime rate that is (considerably) lower than Oak Park.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/cii/...g27_to_198.pdf

There's often a perception that when Latinos move into an area the crime is going to increase. Maybe in some respects that's true (the families are often much younger) but I've always thought that this is more myth than fact. I'm curious to see your numbers re Portage Park.
The key is that Hispanics are more family orientated than other minorities. That explains a whole lot. Also, many hispanic women stay at home to raise kids. Add that together, and it all makes sense

Old 12-22-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I will work on it. If I cannot get it, the best I can do is give the 16th district, which is a huge area. But then again that is most of the real Northwest Side.
I am still working on it, but here are some figures for the past year. I included some adjacent areas as well as Austin and Humboldt Park to contrast with as well.

Total Violent Crime in the Past Year:

Austin:1828 (most in the city)
Belmont Cragin:414
Irving Park:220
Albany Park:211
PORTAGE PARK:207
Dunning:67
Jefferson Park:39
Humboldt Park:877

Robbery in the past Year:

Austin:1001 (most in the city)
Belmont Cragin:221
Irving Park:131
Albany Park:127
PORTAGE PARK:134
Dunning:46
Jefferson Park:28
Humboldt Park:426

Criminal Sexual Assault in the past year:

Austin:107 (most in the city)
Belmont Cragin:34
Irving Park:20
Albany Park:13
PORTAGE PARK:16
Dunning:4
Jefferson Park:3
Humboldt Park:32

Homicide 1st and 2nd degrees:

Austin:30 (most in the city)
Belmont Cragin:4
Irving Park:1
Albany Park:3
PORTAGE PARK:1
Dunning:0
Jefferson Park:1
Humboldt Park:17

Thats all folks for now!

When I have all of my info for the last 20 years I will post. It might take awhile.

source of the above figures:Chicago Police Department 2007

Last edited by Avengerfire; 12-22-2007 at 04:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago