Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2013, 07:08 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times

Advertisements

Rubbersoul89,

One of my white coworkers in Memphis heard that I was transferring to the Chicago office and told me about the racist mentality among the White professional class in LV/LP and I didn't believe her.

For the first two years in Chicago my circle included Hyde Park and work and I didn't see where Chicago was this horribly racist city. I would listen to urban talk radio and actually get offended by how they would totally bad mouth Chicago by saying it's the most racist city.

I was presented with the opportunity to live and work at Paulina and Belmont. Omg! Did I have a rude awakening! While living in the area I met some other black professionals that had the same horrific experiences that I had. I've since corresponded with that coworker and told her that I was wrong.

When I read topics on line for the best of Chicago, I have to laugh when I see LV/LP become part of the dialog..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 07:16 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Rubbersoul89,

One of my white coworkers in Memphis heard that I was transferring to the Chicago office and told me about the racist mentality among the White professional class in LV/LP and I didn't believe her.

For the first two years in Chicago my circle included Hyde Park and work and I didn't see where Chicago was this horribly racist city. I would listen to urban talk radio and actually get offended by how they would totally bad mouth Chicago by saying it's the most racist city.

I was presented with the opportunity to live and work at Paulina and Belmont. Omg! Did I have a rude awakening! While living in the area I met some other black professionals that had the same horrific experiences that I had. I've since corresponded with that coworker and told her that I was wrong.

When I read topics on line for the best of Chicago, I have to laugh when I see LV/LP become part of the dialog..
What were some of those horrific experiences?

Old 04-07-2013, 07:39 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,588 times
This thread has taken a turn towards discussing racism in LP/LV. It is not racism as much as it is socioeconomic. IF you are poor or are from a rural area, you are looked down upon the same as if you are a minority. If you are a minority, but are successful and educated, there is no racism. So don't confuse racism with socioeconomic discrimination. People used to look down on me because I was from Indiana, and not your typical affluent Chicago suburb. If I was black I would think it was racism. I also have a black friend that I hang out with a lot and I've never seen anyone discriminate against him or him complain about racism on our nights out.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
This thread has taken a turn towards discussing racism in LP/LV. It is not racism as much as it is socioeconomic. IF you are poor or are from a rural area, you are looked down upon the same as if you are a minority. If you are a minority, but are successful and educated, there is no racism. So don't confuse racism with socioeconomic discrimination. People used to look down on me because I was from Indiana, and not your typical affluent Chicago suburb. If I was black I would think it was racism. I also have a black friend that I hang out with a lot and I've never seen anyone discriminate against him or him complain about racism on our nights out.
Couldn't have put it better myself.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:16 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
I dislike self described "professionals" of any race.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:03 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
You couldn't be further from the truth. Many Blacks have experienced racism in the area who make well into the six figures. It's been an old beat up subject on CD as well as the internet. Too much written from different people having the same experience for it to not be true.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:14 AM

Can you then give an example or two? Im just asking cause you keep saying the same thing over and over again but never give examples.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:57 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,575,060 times
Quote:

you can keep telling yourself this but it won't make it true

Old 04-08-2013, 07:14 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
You couldn't be further from the truth. Many Blacks have experienced racism in the area who make well into the six figures. It's been an old beat up subject on CD as well as the internet. Too much written from different people having the same experience for it to not be true.
OK. I'm referring to a consistent pattern of racism. Not a few isolated incidents. We were also talking about in LP/LV. So i'm assuming this means on their nights out in these neighborhoods. I've been side by side my black friend in these neighborhoods for years, and I've yet to see one racist incident or comment towards him. I was actually shocked about how non-racist people were. Example: We often end up talking to random girls while out, and I look at their faces and reactions, and they never give him the cold shoulder or brush him off (like, what is this black guy doing talking to me). Back home that would be different.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:44 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
What were some of those horrific experiences?
I'd like to hear/read them as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago