Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:33 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,632,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Satan does what he does to inflict as much destruction to creation, particularly to the peak of creation..humanity.

Satan knows that humans reality is based on their 5 senses, knowledge and experiences. He uses humans reality, knowledge and experiences against them.
But that doesn't answer the question of why he continues in his destruction when his fate is supposedly burning in a lake of fire for all of eternity. If it were true, then I believe he would not do what he does. I tend to agree with Zero 7 and Sparrow. It makes no sense, but then again neither does ET.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 08:35 PM

179 posts, read 289,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
To be honest with you, I don't think he actually knows. I've asked myself the same question and I've only came up with one conclusion. That he doesn't know a thing about his fate. I don't think he knows what's in the bible at all. I don't think he is allowed to know because of the divinity of the bible. He probably can't see it or the words that are written in it. I could be wrong but that's my little theory.

He knows it VERY well and uses it for his gain(souls) He knows where he is going and wants to take as many with him as he can.

He talked with Jesus, the demons in the cemetary said to Jesus, Its not time yet, and cast them into the herd of swine.

Of all the names he has, the one that is the most Important is
the great deceiver, Who do you think is leading the modern church?

Old 08-19-2010, 09:35 PM

28,105 posts, read 30,010,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
You know that's something I've always wondered about.....why does Satan, knowing full well God's plan for him in the end, continue to wreak havoc and evil? Does he know something that we don't? Any thoughts?
Honestly, I think he sincerely thinks he has a chance at winning in the end. I think that's how proud he actually is.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:21 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,121,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
I think it's because of pride. He is too proud to admit to God that he is inferior. JMO
That's my understanding too. In addition, he knows his tims is short and he is trying to take as many souls with him to hell as he can.

I just saw tricky1 beat me to this -- reps to both of you.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:48 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,025,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
I dont know who or what satan is but I read a great article explaining how some jewish scholars view him. No, they didnt mention Willy Wonka, but the way they describe him is the same none the less.

In the movie Willy Wonka, candy maker Willy Wonka hides 5 golden tickets in wonka bars. The finders of the tickets get a full tour of the tightly guarded candy factory.

A rival confectioner who introduces himself as Arthur Slugworth, president of Slugworth Chocolates Incorporated, bribes each of the children to obtain one piece of the newly-invented everlasting gobstopper and bring it to him so he can discover and plagiarize the formula.

As the movie goes on, each of the children succumbs to his temptations and eventually end up experiencing a grisly fate. All of children except for Charlie.

When Charlie becomes the last remaining child on the tour, Wonka politely dismisses him and Grandpa Joe and disappears into his office, without awarding Charlie his lifetime supply of chocolate. Grandpa Joe and Charlie enter Wonka's office to investigate. There, Wonka tells them that Charlie does not get the prize anymore because he broke the rules. Puzzled, Grandpa Joe denies seeing any rules.

Wonka irritably explains the forfeiture clause of the contract Charlie and the other four ticket winners signed at the start of the tour-Charlie's part in the theft of the Fizzy Lifting Drinks means that he violated the contract, and therefore he receives nothing. Wonka furiously dismisses them both.

A livid Grandpa Joe vows to give Slugworth the gobstopper in revenge. However, Charlie cannot betray Wonka and leaves it on his desk.
Wonka recants his penalty and begs for his guests' forgiveness. He reveals that Slugworth is actually an employee named Wilkinson, whose offer to buy the gobstopper was a morality test for the Golden Ticket winners, and Charlie was the only one who passed.

We all face this same morality test down here on earth and God needed someone or something to tempt us to see who the overcomers are.

I just don't buy into this angel in rebellion stuff. If satan was really in rebellion in the traditional way of it being taught, find one verse in the bible where he disobeys God. When God told him he could harm Job but not kill him, if he really was out of control and in rebellion, why didnt he just give God the finger and kill Job anyway?

My theory is that when God becomes all in all, either satan will just be no more or he will revert back to his true nature, one of happily serving Him, no longer tempting because there is no need for it.
Great post, Zero - and I almost choked on my beverage when I read your line:
Quote:
When God told him he could harm Job but not kill him, if he really was out of control and in rebellion, why didnt he just give God the finger and kill Job anyway?
. This hit my funny bone real hard! I think of Satan as being the inner adversary of every person. He eats dust all his days (the carnal man eats dust all the time) until he is no more. I know others will object and many people build the image of Satan way up into a huge, almost equal to God supernatural character. I see Satan as the boaster who is caught in his own snare by pride - bound for destruction in the lake of fire. How does he pose as an angel of light? By offering people heaps of religion that is void of love.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:51 PM

11,902 posts, read 3,721,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Great post, Zero - and I almost choked on my beverage when I read your line: . This hit my funny bone real hard! I think of Satan as being the inner adversary of every person. He eats dust all his days (the carnal man eats dust all the time) until he is no more. I know others will object and many people build the image of Satan way up into a huge, almost equal to God supernatural character. I see Satan as the boaster who is caught in his own snare by pride - bound for destruction in the lake of fire. How does he pose as an angel of light? By offering people heaps of religion that is void of love.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:19 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,406,560 times
It is her job. If a pig acted like a chicken, that would be odd, if a car wanted to aviate, that would be odd, why shouldn't the devil act like one? She is the "accuser", that is what she does.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:47 PM

8,183 posts, read 6,940,287 times
Quote:
I think of Satan as being the inner adversary of every person. He eats dust all his days (the carnal man eats dust all the time) until he is no more. I know others will object and many people build the image of Satan way up into a huge, almost equal to God supernatural character. I see Satan as the boaster who is caught in his own snare by pride - bound for destruction in the lake of fire. How does he pose as an angel of light? By offering people heaps of religion that is void of love.

I agree!
Who is satan? hmmm. Maybe satan is just all of the non-love (anti-christ) that is inside of us that is being destroyed.. that which is on the WIDE path headed for destruction. Pretty much just what you've said, heartsong. If we didn't have this contrast within, how would we ever learn? How we would ever SEE? how would we ever GET IT? We wouldn't.
Whether satan is some sort of supernatural being or whether it is that carnality within each of us.. (or maybe it's both?) it really doesn't make a difference to me, personally. I know who is in charge of it all, I know whose PLAN this is, and I have no fear. We see through a glass darkly now... and it doesn't scare me. I know His plan is perfect, and I have full faith in it.

Whatever the truth is about what "satan" really is... I know God's got things under control. And whatever is happening is happening for a specific reason. And we'll understand it... and it's going to make perfect sense to us.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:50 PM

11,902 posts, read 3,721,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I agree!
Who is satan? hmmm. Maybe satan is just all of the non-love (anti-christ) that is inside of us that is being destroyed.. that which is on the WIDE path headed for destruction. Pretty much just what you've said, heartsong. If we didn't have this contrast within, how would we ever learn? How we would ever SEE? how would we ever GET IT? We wouldn't.
Whether satan is some sort of supernatural being or whether it is that carnality within each of us.. (or maybe it's both?) it really doesn't make a difference to me, personally. I know who is in charge of it all, I know whose PLAN this is, and I have no fear. We see through a glass darkly now... and it doesn't scare me. I know His plan is perfect, and I have full faith in it.

Whatever the truth is about what "satan" really is... I know God's got things under control. And whatever is happening is happening for a specific reason. And we'll understand it... and it's going to make perfect sense to us.
amen sparrow

Old 08-20-2010, 12:00 AM

8,183 posts, read 6,940,287 times
Quote:
How does he pose as an angel of light? By offering people heaps of religion that is void of love.
And this part begs to be repeated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity