Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 11:51 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,121,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yep. that's why. And it will only get worse towards the end. He became the evil fallen angel and the father of lies, so he is doing what is in his nature.

"When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies."

Notice Jesus says "he". That is in reference to the creature, Satan, not to man's inner desire to sin.
This is a really good point. But when people twist orthodoxy into a pretzel where Jesus Christ, True God and True Man, becomes some sort of energy or "Christ Consciousness" (not that I'm naming any names of anyone here who does this or anything ), Satan, too, becomes an abstraction--some kind of "negative energy" inside our "primitive consciousness" (instead of the Fallen Angel that he is).

Sorry, I have to go p*ke now....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 11:57 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,540,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
This is a really good point. But when people twist orthodoxy into a pretzel where Jesus Christ, True God and True Man, becomes some sort of energy or "Christ Consciousness" (not that I'm naming any names of anyone here who does this or anything ), Satan, too, becomes an abstraction--some kind of "negative energy" inside our "primitive consciousness" (instead of the Fallen Angel that he is).

Sorry, I have to go p*ke now....
If you've read the bible you see that there was never any fallen angel.

A verse in Gen 6 and Isaiah 14 somehow tied together create that misunderstanding...

Read it and see... the first one is confusing but surely people weren't punished because angels lusted after their women?

And the second clearly states "you will take up this taunt against the king of Babylon".. so its about a real person not an angel.

These types of things perpetuate ignorance in scripture IMO

Old 08-20-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
If you've read the bible you see that there was never any fallen angel.

A verse in Gen 6 and Isaiah 14 somehow tied together create that misunderstanding...

Read it and see... the first one is confusing but surely people weren't punished because angels lusted after their women?

And the second clearly states "you will take up this taunt against the king of Babylon".. so its about a real person not an angel.

These types of things perpetuate ignorance in scripture IMO
Katjonn, I have read the Bible, but unlike you, I don't view the Bible as something akin to the U.S. Constitution with myself as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court with executive decision-making power about how it should be interpreted.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:01 PM

Does God have an adversary (satan) in scripture or is it always man who has the adversary (satan)? And who is God's adversary (satan) if there is one?

The idea that there is a supernatural bad guy is simple absurd to me... God has competition? Who would be stupid enough to challenge a god in the first place? Is this Greek mythology?

Old 08-20-2010, 12:01 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,506,438 times
Quote:
If you've read the bible you see that there was never any fallen angel. ............These types of things perpetuate ignorance in scripture IMO
So what's your reason.....

Old 08-20-2010, 12:06 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,137,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Yes Amen!! That's exactly the point I was trying to make, although you put it much better.

I do believe that Satan is a supernatural being, as well as there being light and dark within each of us. But I'm still not convinced that he is trying to take as many souls with him to "hell" as he can before his time's up....that just does not compute. If his fate were an eternal lake of fire then he would be trying to reconcile with God, not continuing in his evil. There's something terribly wrong with the whole ET picture of Satan and his fate.
Yes, you and InsaneInDaMembrane are spot on here.

Always remember the truth is not illogical or contradictory. If Satan really is here to "bring down to hell as many souls as he can", why on earth
has God not stopped Him? Surely God does not want people to suffer forever (but some here do think that). It's absurd.

The real reason Satan is here is to provide some of the necessary adversity for our character growth. Adversity builds character. Everything (including Satan) is working exactly to God's plan.

Regarding the OP, whether Satan knows this or not - I don't know. It is clear though that Satan can only do what God allows. God is not stupid or evil - Satan has not tricked God or twisted His arm.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Katjonn, I have read the Bible, but unlike you, I don't view the Bible as something akin to the U.S. Constitution with myself as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court with executive decision-making power about how it should be interpreted.
I didn't mean to imply that you haven't read your bible... I meant from cover to cover in order. It is a story after all. Sorry for the confusion.

If you do that you see that in Genesis there is a holy line of the children of Adam in Seth. Those holy ones are called giants or men of renown. These are the ones that disobeyed God and lusted after women not in the race of Seth.

That isn't interpretation it is character evaluation as you would do in a normal story with characters in it.

The same with Isaiah 14. They are being oppressed by the Babylonian king. They are to say to the king that he will be taken down and ruined. He was a prince in the eyes of God but now he has fallen.

There is no interpretation needed. It is all in the story of Babylonian captivity...

Are you interpreting outside the story?

Old 08-20-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I didn't mean to imply that you haven't read your bible... I meant from cover to cover in order. It is a story after all. Sorry for the confusion.

If you do that you see that in Genesis there is a holy line of the children of Adam in Seth. Those holy ones are called giants or men of renown. These are the ones that disobeyed God and lusted after women not in the race of Seth.

That isn't interpretation it is character evaluation as you would do in a normal story with characters in it.

The same with Isaiah 14. They are being oppressed by the Babylonian king. They are to say to the king that he will be taken down and ruined. He was a prince in the eyes of God but now he has fallen.

There is no interpretation needed. It is all in the story of Babylonian captivity...

Are you interpreting outside the story?
Katjonn, I don't follow the rule of "private interpretation" like you do. I interpret in accordance with the teachings of the Magesterium of the Roman Catholic Church.

I realise you know next to nothing about Catholicism -- I have been around with you about this fact before. It is with this in mind that I am reminding you again that I am a Roman Catholic, and that my Rule of Faith is not sola scriptura.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:40 PM

28,105 posts, read 30,010,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I used to work with a fellow who was a Satan worshipper. He said that very thing.
That doesn't make sense. Why would a Satan worshipper say that? Are you sure you understood my comment?

Old 08-20-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Katjonn, I don't follow the rule of "private interpretation" like you do. I interpret in accordance with the teachings of the Magesterium of the Roman Catholic Church.

I realise you know next to nothing about Catholicism -- I have been around with you about this fact before. It is with this in mind that I am reminding you again that I am a Roman Catholic, and that my Rule of Faith is not sola scriptura.
You are right... I know nothing about Catholicism.... After reading through the Catholic Encyclopedia's section on the devil I see that there is so much taken from the scripture and less about tradition... Why do you say they are not sola scriptura if what I see is mostly from scripture about satan?

Here is the link I read: CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Devil

Perhaps they have it wrong or you differ... to expect me to know the intricacies of what you believe is expecting too much IMO

But it still stands that using scripture there is no reason to think there is a supernatural bad guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity