Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2010, 07:31 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,657,168 times

Advertisements

I agree that there are definitely evil spirits at work in the world, there is much darkness and ugliness. But I still know from scriptures that there is a Satan and he's in charge of all this ugliness and ungodliness. I cannot be convinced of the preterist beliefs because there is too much scriptural support for Satan being very real and that we are living in the end of days.

But I also agree that Satan is made to blame for a lot of things that are just people's own doing and desires. It can get way out of hand with some of the denominations with the "casting out" of demons and such when there are no demons to cast out. I have had personal experience with real satanic evil and it's very chilling and it IS very scary. I know there are lots of people walking around that could stand to have a few demons cast out. Very scary people.

Thanks for the links and I'm getting ready to watch the youtube stuff now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 08:11 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,044,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
If Satan Knows His Fate Then Why Does He Continue?
To boil it down to simple terms.... HE HAS A VERY STIFF NECK.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:08 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,539,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright;15545380[B
]..why does Satan, knowing full well God's plan for him in the end, continue to wreak havoc and evil?[/b]
As long as there are people who teach that contrary to John 3:36, false teachers will seek out weak willed women. God doesn't say "watch out for" because Satan is sympathetic "in touch with the feminine side"

2 Timothy 3:5-7
"They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over weak-willed women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, always learning but never able to acknowledge the truth."

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ watch out /////////////////////
Matthew 7:15
"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves."

Matthew 24:4
Jesus answered: "Watch out that no one deceives you."

Philippians 3:2
"Watch out for those dogs, those men who do evil"

2 John 1:8
"Watch out that you do not lose what you have worked for, but that you may be rewarded fully."

(John 2 1:8 "work" isn't promoting a works righteousness, but the "work" God requires... "to believe" aka faith. see John 6:29 )

Old 08-21-2010, 09:49 AM

2,981 posts, read 5,473,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I think ignorance/darkness is busier than an actual evil 'being' running around. I know it's hard not to see what we've been taught for so long - but by and large Christians have much more faith in the power of an all pervasive/persuasive 'devil' than in God.

I find that most Christians believe that Ouija boards really work and that hauntings are real (they are just demons in disguise)
Duh! ouija boards are a point of on purpose contact with evil spirits. I myself experienced the power of the spirits that work through the ouija board when I was a young married woman, when nice friendly neighbors, who were "church going, church membered, choir singing wife, deacon husband [if memory does not fail me], introduced the ouija board to me in their "parlor" as a "game". I was not a Christian, and I participated in the "game", and the "board's spirit" gave answers to my questions by lifting the table and knocking the legs up and down, with my hands on top of it and nothing under it, as asked, for "yes", or "no" answers. It lifted up in the air of itself. The power was from demons, and I never did do that again, and when Jesus saved my soul from sin several years later, I repented of all involvement with all satans and demons in all the things I had ever done, and Jesus cleansed me from them and removed the curses on my life got by freewill involvement with all dark powers in all areas. He also removed the curse of death and destruction on my own family [which cursed me, my siblings and nieces and nephews] by my father's involvement with eastern satans and demons brought into our lives by his involvement with them through the eastern religions.
After dad got involved with those eastern religions, many, many -and even more- calamities befell our family that were never ceasing year by year, and of the darkness to which he made us in bondage, to, as the head of our family.

When Jesus saved my soul and baptized me with His precious Holy Spirit, I then experienced the true Power He gives to His servants to do good things, in His name, and have even cast out demons in His name and they have gone out, and prayed for miracles in His name -by His leading- and have seen them happen, by His will and power; and many other such in my life as His "handmaid" these forty one years. He leads us when we are His, to do things in His name that have lasting value for His glory; unlike the vain life lived seeking powers from evil spirits who only seduce, deceive, lie, cheat, steal, and kill.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:05 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,459,731 times
YOU already know the answer to this! Satan knows His fate and, wants to take as many as possible with him... For everything God does, Satan HAS a counterfeit.....don't be deceived!!

Old 08-21-2010, 03:02 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,446,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
I think it's because of pride. He is too proud to admit to God that he is inferior. JMO
Good point, and with pride comes a great fall.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:08 PM

64,101 posts, read 40,400,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
YOU already know the answer to this! Satan knows His fate and, wants to take as many as possible with him... For everything God does, Satan HAS a counterfeit.....don't be deceived!!
::SIGH::

Old 08-21-2010, 03:08 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,255,862 times
Can anyone explain to me how they believe Satan works? Does he take on a physical form and talk to people? Does he pick people and send them thoughts? I understand the idea of the Devil in the abstract - but everyone here seems to think that he is real and is influencing people today. How does he do this? Does he have special powers? And what exactly is he? Sorry for all the questions - especially if they seem very obvious to you. I'm very curious!

Old 08-21-2010, 03:24 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,125,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Can anyone explain to me how they believe Satan works? Does he take on a physical form and talk to people? Does he pick people and send them thoughts? I understand the idea of the Devil in the abstract - but everyone here seems to think that he is real and is influencing people today. How does he do this? Does he have special powers? And what exactly is he? Sorry for all the questions - especially if they seem very obvious to you. I'm very curious!
This is not a topic that lends itself to soundbites, at least from a Catholic point of view. Fr. Chad Ripperger has an entire audio series on spiritual warfare and a four-part one specifically on demons at his website. I haven't listened to them, but I admire Ripperger greatly and would endorse any of his talks without hesitation:

Sensus Traditionis

Old 08-21-2010, 03:34 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,255,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
This is not a topic that lends itself to soundbites, at least from a Catholic point of view. Fr. Chad Ripperger has an entire audio series on spiritual warfare and a four-part one specifically on demons at his website. I haven't listened to them, but I admire Ripperger greatly and would endorse any of his talks without hesitation:

Sensus Traditionis
Um... Anyone have anything to share that is free? No offense, but I don't feel like paying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity