Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 05:31 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times

Advertisements

You know that's something I've always wondered about.....why does Satan, knowing full well God's plan for him in the end, continue to wreak havoc and evil? Does he know something that we don't? Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 05:35 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,245 times
I think it's because of pride. He is too proud to admit to God that he is inferior. JMO

Old 08-19-2010, 05:39 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,696,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
You know that's something I've always wondered about.....why does Satan, knowing full well God's plan for him in the end, continue to wreak havoc and evil? Does he know something that we don't? Any thoughts?
The question I have is ........ What is Satan? - in scripture the word means adversary, which describes what the purpose of its creation is, it is our adversary not Gods adversary -- there to try, tempt us ........

We are to overcome the adversary......

Old 08-19-2010, 05:51 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
The question I have is ........ What is Satan? - in scripture the word means adversary, which describes what the purpose of its creation is, it is our adversary not Gods adversary -- there to try, tempt us ........

We are to overcome the adversary......
Regardless of the meaning of the name-Devil or Lucifer or Satan or Beelzabub it refers to a spiritual being.

Job 1:6-12 6 One day the angels [a] came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan [b] also came with them. 7 The LORD said to Satan, "Where have you come from?"
Satan answered the LORD, "From roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it."

8 Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil."
9 "Does Job fear God for nothing?" Satan replied. 10 "Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. 11 But stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face." 12 The LORD said to Satan, "Very well, then, everything he has is in your hands, but on the man himself do not lay a finger."
Then Satan went out from the presence of the LORD.

Matt 4:1-11 1Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil. 2After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. 3The tempter came to him and said, "If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread."

4Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'[a]"
5Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. 6"If you are the Son of God," he said, "throw yourself down. For it is written:
" 'He will command his angels concerning you,
and they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.'[b]"
7Jesus answered him, "It is also written: 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test.'[c]"
8Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9"All this I will give you," he said, "if you will bow down and worship me."
10Jesus said to him, "Away from me, Satan! For it is written: 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.'[d]" 11Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:28 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
To be honest with you, I don't think he actually knows. I've asked myself the same question and I've only came up with one conclusion. That he doesn't know a thing about his fate. I don't think he knows what's in the bible at all. I don't think he is allowed to know because of the divinity of the bible. He probably can't see it or the words that are written in it. I could be wrong but that's my little theory.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:39 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,365,030 times
I dont know who or what satan is but I read a great article explaining how some jewish scholars view him. No, they didnt mention Willy Wonka, but the way they describe him is the same none the less.

In the movie Willy Wonka, candy maker Willy Wonka hides 5 golden tickets in wonka bars. The finders of the tickets get a full tour of the tightly guarded candy factory.

A rival confectioner who introduces himself as Arthur Slugworth, president of Slugworth Chocolates Incorporated, bribes each of the children to obtain one piece of the newly-invented everlasting gobstopper and bring it to him so he can discover and plagiarize the formula.

As the movie goes on, each of the children succumbs to his temptations and eventually end up experiencing a grisly fate. All of children except for Charlie.

When Charlie becomes the last remaining child on the tour, Wonka politely dismisses him and Grandpa Joe and disappears into his office, without awarding Charlie his lifetime supply of chocolate. Grandpa Joe and Charlie enter Wonka's office to investigate. There, Wonka tells them that Charlie does not get the prize anymore because he broke the rules. Puzzled, Grandpa Joe denies seeing any rules.

Wonka irritably explains the forfeiture clause of the contract Charlie and the other four ticket winners signed at the start of the tour-Charlie's part in the theft of the Fizzy Lifting Drinks means that he violated the contract, and therefore he receives nothing. Wonka furiously dismisses them both.

A livid Grandpa Joe vows to give Slugworth the gobstopper in revenge. However, Charlie cannot betray Wonka and leaves it on his desk.
Wonka recants his penalty and begs for his guests' forgiveness. He reveals that Slugworth is actually an employee named Wilkinson, whose offer to buy the gobstopper was a morality test for the Golden Ticket winners, and Charlie was the only one who passed.

We all face this same morality test down here on earth and God needed someone or something to tempt us to see who the overcomers are.

I just don't buy into this angel in rebellion stuff. If satan was really in rebellion in the traditional way of it being taught, find one verse in the bible where he disobeys God. When God told him he could harm Job but not kill him, if he really was out of control and in rebellion, why didnt he just give God the finger and kill Job anyway?

My theory is that when God becomes all in all, either satan will just be no more or he will revert back to his true nature, one of happily serving Him, no longer tempting because there is no need for it.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:50 PM

8,175 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Zero 7... I loved what you wrote. Thanks for posting that.

And you and I see this the same way:

Quote:
My theory is that when God becomes all in all, either satan will just be no more or he will revert back to his true nature, one of happily serving Him, no longer tempting because there is no need for it.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:53 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
I imagine Satan was created to do as he does and he does it very well..

Old 08-19-2010, 07:16 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Satan does what he does to inflict as much destruction to creation, particularly to the peak of creation..humanity.

Satan knows that humans reality is based on their 5 senses, knowledge and experiences. He uses humans reality, knowledge and experiences against them.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:28 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
I dont know who or what satan is but I read a great article explaining how some jewish scholars view him. No, they didnt mention Willy Wonka, but the way they describe him is the same none the less.

In the movie Willy Wonka, candy maker Willy Wonka hides 5 golden tickets in wonka bars. The finders of the tickets get a full tour of the tightly guarded candy factory.

A rival confectioner who introduces himself as Arthur Slugworth, president of Slugworth Chocolates Incorporated, bribes each of the children to obtain one piece of the newly-invented everlasting gobstopper and bring it to him so he can discover and plagiarize the formula.

As the movie goes on, each of the children succumbs to his temptations and eventually end up experiencing a grisly fate. All of children except for Charlie.

When Charlie becomes the last remaining child on the tour, Wonka politely dismisses him and Grandpa Joe and disappears into his office, without awarding Charlie his lifetime supply of chocolate. Grandpa Joe and Charlie enter Wonka's office to investigate. There, Wonka tells them that Charlie does not get the prize anymore because he broke the rules. Puzzled, Grandpa Joe denies seeing any rules.

Wonka irritably explains the forfeiture clause of the contract Charlie and the other four ticket winners signed at the start of the tour-Charlie's part in the theft of the Fizzy Lifting Drinks means that he violated the contract, and therefore he receives nothing. Wonka furiously dismisses them both.

A livid Grandpa Joe vows to give Slugworth the gobstopper in revenge. However, Charlie cannot betray Wonka and leaves it on his desk.
Wonka recants his penalty and begs for his guests' forgiveness. He reveals that Slugworth is actually an employee named Wilkinson, whose offer to buy the gobstopper was a morality test for the Golden Ticket winners, and Charlie was the only one who passed.

We all face this same morality test down here on earth and God needed someone or something to tempt us to see who the overcomers are.

I just don't buy into this angel in rebellion stuff. If satan was really in rebellion in the traditional way of it being taught, find one verse in the bible where he disobeys God. When God told him he could harm Job but not kill him, if he really was out of control and in rebellion, why didnt he just give God the finger and kill Job anyway?

Thanks for the post Zero 7....one of the more interesting ones I've read lately. That's a thought provoking theory you have there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity