Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 11:38 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,977,818 times

Advertisements

Double predestination is where God predestines some to eternal life and some to eternal damnation At least that is what some erroneously believe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 11:48 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Double predestination is where God predestines some to eternal life and some to eternal damnation At least that is what some erroneously believe
I don't know why He'd do either. I believe some are foreordained to their roles in life (such as His prophets), but I don't believe that anything is cast in concrete. He has given us our agency -- all of us. We can choose to believe in His Son and follow Him, or we can choose to reject Him. I don't believe that God makes the decision for some and allows others to make the decision for themselves.

Thanks for the answer, though. That was helpful.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:10 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,557,216 times
Quote:
What would the point of free will be if that were true?

Old 09-04-2010, 12:52 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,470,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Will somebody tell me what double predestination is? I know what predestination is and I don't believe in it, but I need some help here with double predestination.
Double predestination is the Calvinistic belief that not only did God choose for some to be saved, but that He chose to condemn others irrespective of their free will. It denies man's volitional choice.

Double predestination is a heresy.

Predestination on the other hand is a reality but it doesn't mean what apparently most people think it means. Predestination pertains to those things to which those who have believed in Christ are predestined to. For instance, in Ephesians 1:5 those who chose to believe in Christ of their own free will in response to the Gospel are predestined to adoption as sons. In John 1:12 it is written, 'But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name.

In Romans 8:29 it states that those God foreknew are predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son. Ultimately this means that those who believe in Christ will receive resurrection bodies that are like Jesus Christ's. This is ultimate sanctification. God in His foreknowledge knew who would believe in Jesus Christ for salvation (1 Peter 1:1b '...who are chosen 2] according to the foreknowledge of God the Father) and therefore predestined those who He knew would believe, to receive resurrection bodies that are like Christ. 1 John 3:2 'Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we shall be. We know that, when He appears, we shall be lke Him, because we shall see Him just as He is.'

Predestination refers not to salvation, but rather, it refers to the things which belong to those who have believed in Christ.

Below are four informative sites that clarify what predestination is, and I highly recommend that everyone reading this go into them. Some people criticise my use of links, but I am trying to provide information to those who are interested.

Not Chosen To Salvation -By Dr. Max D. Younce, Th.D

Predestination (http://www.mission.org/jesuspeople/predestination.htm - broken link)

Grace Fellowship Church (http://www.gracedoctrine.org/word/032507.htm - broken link)

Election & Predestination

Old 09-04-2010, 12:58 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,764,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The way to be saved goes a little something like this. You confess and believe in your heart Jesus is the son of the God, and that he died on the cross for your sins. Now you choose not to believe that and not to confess that, who's choice is that? Hmm..let me think...YOURS?!

So "the way to be saved" ... Isn't that oxymoronic? Why not just say "how to save yourself"?

Its your choice to save yourself by believing what you are told. Why mince words and say, "the way to be saved"?

Here is how to be saved. Run into a burning building and hope someone will come along and pull you out. Does any of this make sense to you people?

LOL ...

Ya'll are funny ...

Old 09-04-2010, 01:43 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,196,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
It is your choice to believe incorrectly (double predestination) or believe what is written...God predestines only the believers, not the unbelievers.

double predestination ... is human logic.

To bring up the word "logic" when speaking of traditional Christianity's interpretation of God (most of it has been interpreted through anything but logic) and his work makes me smile.

I've been thinking........If you look around at the Universe with it's awesome order and intricate design (Has anyone taken an Anatomy and Physiology class?!), it hardly makes a bit of sense that, if God exists, he would want his people to blindly go about considering his ways. Much of Christianity is in comlete disorder and much of it is complete nonsense, if one would take a logical look into it (setting people on fire for eternity for WHATEVER reason is not order and it is NOT justice. Even a child could understand this, as they say). I don't believe that God would bring about the salvation of his creatures any differently than he would go about creating order in general. He would NOT leave it to CHANCE!

("Oh, darn. Timmy didn't get there in time to save Suzy from that horrific car crash, and she didn't believe in me, and I had no way of knowing ('cause I'm not all knowing) she would die without believing in me and I was hoping (hoping, 'cause I'm not really in control) someone would get there to save her. I guess I'm going to have to set her on fire for eternity." That is chaos, not order.)

There is NO reason to leave common sense and logic behind just because we have faith that he exists.

God is the ULTIMATE logician!!!

I say to Christianity; don't leave your brain behind. It's okay to use it.

Last edited by herefornow; 09-04-2010 at 02:35 PM..

Old 09-04-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
What would the point of free will be if that were true?
God certainly did choose those who whould be receiving age-during life.

Rom 8:30 Now whom He designates beforehand, these He calls also, and whom He calls, these He justifies also; now whom He justifies, these He glorifies also."

Do you notice the progression of events in the verse above? He designated beforehand, before the disruption of the world in Genesis 1:2, who would believe. Then He calls them into salvation. Then He justifies them then He glorifies them. Notice there is no doubt in His mind as to the divine order of what will occur? Notice whom He designated beforehand will be glorified by him as well? Also . . .

Rom 9:16 "Consequently, then, it is not of him who is willing, nor of him who is racing, but of God, the Merciful."

Say this 100 times: "It is not of him who is willing"

"It is not of him who is willing"

Where does free will come in if salvation is not of him who is willing?

Old 09-04-2010, 04:44 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,373,201 times
Quote:
Where does free will come in if salvation is not of him who is willing?
"We are not predestinated to sin, that's choice; but we are predestined to holiness."

Old 09-06-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
"We are not predestinated to sin, that's choice; but we are predestined to holiness."
Judas was predestined to sin.

Act 1:16 said, "Men! Brethren! Fulfilled must be the scripture in which the holy spirit said before through the mouth of David, concerning Judas, who becomes the guide of those apprehending Jesus,

Old 09-06-2010, 07:18 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,391,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
If double predestination is true, than call me an atheist. But wait, he either chose me or didn't choose me, so what difference does it matter what I think? ......I am so confused. It's a like a dog chasing it's own tail. It must be false.

Juj, I have a different view of predestination that does not omit being predestinated or omit mans freewill choice.

Pre simply means before and destination means the destination you end up in.

We are given a choice between life and death

Life and death are the destinations man is headed for

But man is not headed for those destinations until after man has made his choice which road he will travel.

Thus these two road were predestined before man makes his choice, but man does not travel down either of those destinations until after man has made his choice.

The choice man makes determines which predestination man will travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity