Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:27 AM

2,196 posts, read 1,995,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The way to be saved goes a little something like this. You confess and believe in your heart Jesus is the son of the God, and that he died on the cross for your sins. That's all it takes to be saved. This is how millions in the world today are saved. Now you choose not to believe that and not to confess that, who's choice is that? Hmm..let me think...YOURS?! You feel like you can't believe that, you feel like you can't do that, that is your choice and nothing but yours. People everyday decide to turn their lives over to God. Don't try to turn things around and make it seem like God picks and chooses who will have eternal life when you are sitting here like the bitter hypocrite you are REJECTING HIM AS YOU SPEAK!! He is not why you don't believe! YOU are why you don't believe! You can choose RIGHT NOW to be saved but you don't! Do you know why people are in hell right now? They had several chances to be saved from sin and they choose not to. They choose sin over salvation! And every single person who is there right now is there of their own accord. Not wanting to give up the ways of the sinful world. They chose their path to destruction instead of choosing to walk the path to God. You have the audacity to come here and try to say God picks and chooses when it clearly states in the bible we choose him! It takes faith to believe in God. Not science! Not criticism. Not any of the BS. It's strictly faith and spirit! Something critical and over-analyzing minds would know NOTHING about. Your hearts are hardened. And what's more sad is that even being here on the C-D boards talking to Christians day after day would never soften them. You would harden your heart against God even after knowing the word and you one day when you drop dead, you find yourself in hell and cursing yourself why you never believed. That is what has happened to millions in hell. They are screaming, knashing their teeth, and cursing themselves as to why they never choose salvation. Why they never choose God. Why they never gave up their sins. And you know what? It's sad. But your not them. And your here on Earth. And you still have the chance. If you think about God everyday. whether your rolling your eyes or rejoicing of his blessing, he's calling you. Especially the unbeliever. Now to sit here and claim God picks and chooses even though YOU are the one who thinks about him every day of your life coming to the RELIGIOUS SECTION of a forum, he is calling you to salvation, YOUR the one with the hard head who keeps rejecting him. Don't you dare try to blame God when you find yourself dead and find yourself in hell for your blatant REPEATED rejection of him. You have the chance now. You don't do it, this is your own fault! Just like you choose to murder your neighbor or sleep with your brother's wife or lie to your children, you choose to reject God. You have choices in this life, and you have consequences. Your an adult, you take full responsibility for the choices you make. Your not a child, stop acting like one.
allenK893 !!! ... Three Thumbs Up For You !

Every knee shall bow and every tounge confess that "Jesus Christ" is Lord !!! What a day that will be !

This wisdom from the Holy Bible is of course foolishness to those whom are perishing !

Praise The Lord / Thanks / Old Sgt. Lamar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 11:40 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,408,708 times
Default Thank God I've been rescued from that awful bondage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
I can relate to poor Timmy, I had an 'unsaved' best friend take his own life when he was 28 years old. I was tormented by that for years (back when I believed in ET).

I also had a work friend die in a motorcycle accident before I ever witnessed to him. More torment. If only I had the nerve to talk to him about Jesus but I put it off.

If you believe in ET, I guess your Timmy scenario seems very plausible.

Thank God I've been rescued from that awful bondage.
I sure can relate to that Zero!

I suffered a horrific twelve year breakdown (1966-78) over my inability to asuccessfully emotionally cope with the idea that God lets anyone suffer forever.

I'm 71 now and I too thank God that I have been rescued from that awful ET belief system bondage by discovering there is another point of view based on a correctly (literally not interpretively) translated Bible.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:19 AM

Exclamation faith in “free-will chance” - versus - faith in Christ alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy777 View Post
All things that occur go through Christ first. Thank you Lord for you know all things that will happen beforehand in my life and I can rest in peace at all times knowing You know what is best for me.
When times are good, praise God and be joyful. When times are bad, consider and praise God.
Great statement mercy777!!
And I would like to add

Don’t put your faith in your faith.
Put your faith in Christ instead.
Your faith may, and probably will falter from time to time.
But Christ will never let you go

THE MASTER OF MY FATE
Through the eyes of
faith in “free-will chance” - versus - faith in Christ alone

William Ernest Henley VERSUS Dorothea Day
or
INVICTUS versus MY CAPTAIN

“FREE-WILL CHANCE”
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

FAITH IN CHRIST ALONE
Out of the light that dazzles me,
Bright as the sun from pole to pole
I thank the God I know to be
For Christ the conqueror of my soul.

“FREE-WILL CHANCE”
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud
Under the bludgeonings of “chance”
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

FAITH IN CHRIST ALONE
Since His the sway of circumstance,
I would not wince nor cry aloud,
Under that rule which men call “chance”
My head with joy is humbly bowed.

“FREE-WILL CHANCE”
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

FAITH IN CHRIST ALONE
Beyond this place of sin and tears
That life with Him! And His the aid,
Despite the menace of the years,
Keeps, and shall keep me, unafraid.

“FREE-WILL CHANCE”
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

FAITH IN CHRIST ALONE
I have no fear, though strait the gate,
He cleared from punishment the scroll.
Christ is the Master of my fate,
Christ is the Captain of my soul.

AMEN!!

Old 09-09-2010, 08:44 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,557,216 times
I can't believe how many Universalists there are on this board. Cuz I don't think I've ever met one irl.

Anyways, very dangerous theology imo. Just my .02 cents.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:09 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,764,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I can't believe how many Universalists there are on this board. Cuz I don't think I've ever met one irl.

Anyways, very dangerous theology imo. Just my .02 cents.

Oh, everyone will be a Christian universalist one day.

I think its funny that most Christians believe it is dangerous to teach that Jesus is 100% victorious over sin and all the works of the devil throughout all creation. The idea that good will eventually and inevitably overcome all evil, and that God does not return evil for evil, is considered dangerous ... to who? To unbelievers? You think that an unbeliever is less likely to believe because they are told that God does not torture people for eternity? You think that a wicked person will really be good if you threaten them with violence? They will just pretend ... Fear does not convert a heart to the love of God, it is the goodness of God that leads to repentance according to the scriptures.

Most Christians live in abject fear of death and everlasting hell. Even if they claim they are not afraid for themselves, being confident in their faith, they still must fear the loss of their friends and family and their neighbors to everlasting torture for not believing the same things.

I tell you what is dangerous... The teaching that God returns evil for evil throughout eternity. The teaching that the works of the devil are victorious throughout most of Creation even over the works of Christ on the cross. Teaching that the power of evil to deceive is greater than the power of Good to heal and save. That it is impossible for God to accomplish everything he desires. That evil and sin and death are eternal, and will have dominion over most of creation throughout eternity.

We see the evidence of what happens when these false doctrines of demons have power over civilization by mandate of the law ... Its called the dark ages and the inquisitions. That is the obvious evidence of why these false teachings are literally dangerous now in this life. I guarantee you had the teaching of Christian Universalism been the prevailing doctrine in the church and made the orthodox teaching of the R.C.C., the dark ages would not have been nearly so dark.

Peace ...

Old 09-09-2010, 10:43 AM

2,526 posts, read 2,938,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
... it is the goodness of God that leads to repentance according to the scriptures...
Wow...an amazing scripture reference. ETer's somehow think that the proclamation of hell fire, brimstone and fear (ie: a short lived Johnathan Edwards revival) brings one to repentance, but the UR's know (and have experienced) that it was God's goodness that lead them to Christ:

Rom 2:4 or the riches of His goodness, and forbearance, and long-suffering, dost thou despise? --not knowing that the goodness of God doth lead thee to reformation!

First comes God's goodness of forgiveness (the Gospel), then comes the righteous fear of God:

Psa 130:4 But with Thee is forgiveness, that Thou mayest be feared.

Great post Ironmaw!

Old 09-09-2010, 11:12 AM

Default The iron curtain syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Oh, everyone will be a Christian universalist one day.

I think its funny that most Christians believe it is dangerous to teach that Jesus is 100% victorious over sin and all the works of the devil throughout all creation. The idea that good will eventually and inevitably overcome all evil, and that God does not return evil for evil, is considered dangerous ... to who? To unbelievers? You think that an unbeliever is less likely to believe because they are told that God does not torture people for eternity? You think that a wicked person will really be good if you threaten them with violence? They will just pretend ... Fear does not convert a heart to the love of God, it is the goodness of God that leads to repentance according to the scriptures.

Most Christians live in abject fear of death and everlasting hell. Even if they claim they are not afraid for themselves, being confident in their faith, they still must fear the loss of their friends and family and their neighbors to everlasting torture for not believing the same things.

I tell you what is dangerous... The teaching that God returns evil for evil throughout eternity. The teaching that the works of the devil are victorious throughout most of Creation even over the works of Christ on the cross. Teaching that the power of evil to deceive is greater than the power of Good to heal and save. That it is impossible for God to accomplish everything he desires. That evil and sin and death are eternal, and will have dominion over most of creation throughout eternity.

We see the evidence of what happens when these false doctrines of demons have power over civilization by mandate of the law ... Its called the dark ages and the inquisitions. That is the obvious evidence of why these false teachings are literally dangerous now in this life. I guarantee you had the teaching of Christian Universalism been the prevailing doctrine in the church and made the orthodox teaching of the R.C.C., the dark ages would not have been nearly so dark. Peace ...
THE IRON CURTAIN SYNDROME

When there was an iron curtain, nobody tried to get inside it.
But many people (mostly unsuccessfully) tried escape out from behind it.

In the same way, many who start their Christian lives as eternal tormentors or annihilationists, change their mind and become Christian Biblical Universalists after they examine the evidence that is available.

But I have never heard of anyone who started out being aware of the Biblical evidence in support of universal salvation, then changed their mind and embraced eternal hell theology.

Think about it!

Two good writings proving Christian Biblical Universalism that can be Googled up are

THE SAVIOUR OF THE WORLD SERIES - Eby
and
ABSOLUTE ASSURANCE IN JESUS CHRIST - Slagle

Old 09-09-2010, 06:24 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,196,375 times
Quote:
I can relate to poor Timmy, I had an 'unsaved' best friend take his own life when he was 28 years old. I was tormented by that for years (back when I believed in ET).

I also had a work friend die in a motorcycle accident before I ever witnessed to him. More torment. If only I had the nerve to talk to him about Jesus but I put it off.

If you believe in ET, I guess your Timmy scenario seems very plausible.

Thank God I've been rescued from that awful bondage.
It is bondage, isn't it? I'm sorry about your friends, and I'm sorry you had to go through years of needless grief. There are just so many terrible stories out there.

Good News?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgertutt View Post
Great statement mercy777!!
And I would like to add

Don’t put your faith in your faith.
Put your faith in Christ instead.
Your faith may, and probably will falter from time to time.
But Christ will never let you go

THE MASTER OF MY FATE
Through the eyes of
faith in “free-will chance” - versus - faith in Christ alone

William Ernest Henley VERSUS Dorothea Day
or
INVICTUS versus MY CAPTAIN

“FREE-WILL CHANCE”
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

FAITH IN CHRIST ALONE
Out of the light that dazzles me,
Bright as the sun from pole to pole
I thank the God I know to be
For Christ the conqueror of my soul.

“FREE-WILL CHANCE”
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud
Under the bludgeonings of “chance”
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

FAITH IN CHRIST ALONE
Since His the sway of circumstance,
I would not wince nor cry aloud,
Under that rule which men call “chance”
My head with joy is humbly bowed.

“FREE-WILL CHANCE”
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

FAITH IN CHRIST ALONE
Beyond this place of sin and tears
That life with Him! And His the aid,
Despite the menace of the years,
Keeps, and shall keep me, unafraid.

“FREE-WILL CHANCE”
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

FAITH IN CHRIST ALONE
I have no fear, though strait the gate,
He cleared from punishment the scroll.
Christ is the Master of my fate,
Christ is the Captain of my soul.

AMEN!!

Great comparisons between free will/chance and faith in Christ, Rodger!

I'll have to remember this: "Don't put your faith in faith."

Old 09-10-2010, 09:43 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,365,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgertutt View Post
I sure can relate to that Zero!

I suffered a horrific twelve year breakdown (1966-78) over my inability to asuccessfully emotionally cope with the idea that God lets anyone suffer forever.

I'm 71 now and I too thank God that I have been rescued from that awful ET belief system bondage by discovering there is another point of view based on a correctly (literally not interpretively) translated Bible.
Just thinking out loud here....

Why does the concept of ET bother some christians but others aren't really troubled by it? I really don't get it.

When my 'unsaved' mom almost died in 2001, I was close to a basket case. The thought of my own mother, in flames, screaming forever, begging for deliverance and God ignoring her. No second chance for her!

If you really , really think about it, how can anyone brush that off? There are even some here who said they will rejoice in the suffering of the 'wicked'. Good grief!

Old 09-10-2010, 10:12 AM

Default the greatest of all manifestations of God's grace in action

Quote:
Just thinking out loud here....

Why does the concept of ET bother some Christians but others aren't really troubled by it? I really don't get it.

When my 'unsaved' mom almost died in 2001, I was close to a basket case. The thought of my own mother, in flames, screaming forever, begging for deliverance and God ignoring her. No second chance for her!

If you really, really think about it, how can anyone brush that off? There are even some here who said they will rejoice in the suffering of the 'wicked'. Good grief!
I don't get it either Zero.

I my opinion, the greatest of all manifestations of God's grace in action on this earth is that anyone can believe that God will let some of us choose ourselves into an inescapable state of never ending suffering, and not go stark raving mad thinking about it!

Never in the history of human emotion has there been a hatred more perfect than mine towards a doctrine of the so-called "Christian" church!!

It is no wonder that so many prefer to live out their lives as agnostics, treating other people like they would like to be treated themselves, and hoping that after they are raised from the dead they will not find out that God is like the ETers say He is.

I am just so glad that I can guide people to Biblical evidence that God is not like that.

Two good writings proving Christian Biblical Universalism that can be Googled up are

THE SAVIOUR OF THE WORLD SERIES - Eby
and
ABSOLUTE ASSURANCE IN JESUS CHRIST - Slagle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity